X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    Originally posted by RB176 View Post
    Hey Aaron got my plasma setup up and running Wow unbelievable. Got a quick question if you are going for performance do you think retarding your ignition timing and letting the cylinder get a complete fill would increase HP do to the cleaner burn? Also I’ve seen you open the plug gap, do you think an additional 10-15th would be sufficient? Thanks Jeremiah
    Ideally, you'd do trial and error on a dyno but that does cost a bit.

The plasma ignition is not only fast itself, the entire combustion process is accelerated so that with delaying timing a bit towards TDC could give more power.

Yes, opening the plug as well can help delay it a bit and will give a bigger bang. You'd sacrifice plug life though.

What plugs are you using? I still want to test the Weapon X iridium non-resistor plugs.

Can you post some pics and/or vids of your ignition setup? That would be cool to see.

Leave a comment:

• heysoundude
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    In any case, for the plasma, I think it would be almost impossible to calculate perfectly but ballpark could be possible. That is because it is difficult to tell how much of the cap discharges to the primary and how much is left over to jump the gap - most jumps the gap.
    A ballpark is a pretty big place; I think this is more in between horseshoes and hand grenades close how much of the primary discharges to the secondary? who cares, as long as the energy does indeed jump the gap at the right time; there just has to be enough there for it to happen.My point is, differentiating between kettering and CDI is moot because a coil (both primary and secondary) clearly has capacitance based on that equation.

Leave a comment:

• RB176
    replied
    Hey Aaron got my plasma setup up and running Wow unbelievable. Got a quick question if you are going for performance do you think retarding your ignition timing and letting the cylinder get a complete fill would increase HP do to the cleaner burn? Also I’ve seen you open the plug gap, do you think an additional 10-15th would be sufficient? Thanks Jeremiah
    Last edited by RB176; 04-05-2019, 12:04 PM. Reason: Adding

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    Originally posted by heysoundude View Post
    OOPS! thanks for correcting that, Aaron.No, I've not found (stumbled across) one for CDI...but wouldn't the speed you're looking for be "c"? or were you meaning charging TIME? easy enough to calculate:F = seconds / ohms (from wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farad lots of other neat & handy equivalencies there too, so if you're algebraically inclined and/or have a bunch of specs/measurements, you can solve for what you need)F * ohms = seconds ...which is why you want a low primary resistance, right? so the energy influx required prior to the spark event is as short as possible. also why you want as low a resistance as possible on the secondary side too, in this use case: so the energy delivery event is as short as possible as well.
    In any case, for the plasma, I think it would be almost impossible to calculate perfectly but ballpark could be possible. That is because it is difficult to tell how much of the cap discharges to the primary and how much is left over to jump the gap - most jumps the gap.

Leave a comment:

• heysoundude
    replied
    OOPS! thanks for correcting that, Aaron.No, I've not found (stumbled across) one for CDI...but wouldn't the speed you're looking for be "c"? or were you meaning charging TIME? easy enough to calculate:F = seconds / ohms (from wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farad lots of other neat & handy equivalencies there too, so if you're algebraically inclined and/or have a bunch of specs/measurements, you can solve for what you need)F * ohms = seconds ...which is why you want a low primary resistance, right? so the energy influx required prior to the spark event is as short as possible. also why you want as low a resistance as possible on the secondary side too, in this use case: so the energy delivery event is as short as possible as well.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    Originally posted by heysoundude View Post
    has anyone input their coil's etc specs into this calculator?http://bgsoflex.com/igncoil.htmljust in case it might help to fine tune anything...
    The word just doesn't have a space before it so the link does work - here's the corrected one: http://bgsoflex.com/igncoil.html

Seems to apply to just kettering ignition so the basic spark ignition but still pretty cool. Have you come across one for capacitive discharge? That might be tough because might have to know the charging speed of the cap charging circuit.

Leave a comment:

• heysoundude
    replied
    has anyone input their coil's etc specs into this calculator?http://bgsoflex.com/igncoil.htmljust in case it might help to fine tune anything...

Leave a comment:

• RB176
    replied
    Thank you Gary

Leave a comment:

• RB176
    replied
    Thank you Aaron

Leave a comment:

• Gary Hammond
    replied
    Thanks Aaron and Gary, I already picked up a Flamethrower III now so I should be in good shape. On another note how well have the diodes (Prhv2a-20) you’ve been using holding up? I bought a few extras just incase of problems.
    The only time I had one fail was when I accidentally forgot to hook up the ground lead to the spark plug threaded end on my test rig. It caused large arcs between the coil tower and coil primary connection.

Never had one fail on the actual engine installation.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    Thanks Aaron and Gary, I already picked up a Flamethrower III now so I should be in good shape. On another note how well have the diodes (Prhv2a-20) you’ve been using holding up? I bought a few extras just incase of problems.
    Personally, I've never blown one of those diodes up and they are rock solid.

Leave a comment:

• RB176
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    Pertronix claims you need a 3.0 ohm coil for 4 cylinders or less. Place I bought it from said the same thing but there not using it for what we’re doing either. I also have a Pertronix Ignitor I magnetic pickup sensor also. I ran the coil and sensor and it’s working fine. Next step is to hook up msd street fire and diode up. Again my main concern would be either to much resistance and not achieving plasma or burning something up.

The most common coil I have used is the Flame Thrower III https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SIN=B002Q363XM

3 ohms itself should be an issue. I can make the plasma with a few hundred ohms in the line. However, the coil you have I do not believe is suitable for capacitive discharge but the Flame Thrower III is. See the specs below:

Pertronix Flame Thrower III coils are an ultra low resistance (0.32 ohms) 45,000-volt coil. Thet were engineered to charge to peak current typically 30-70% faster the other coils. This means maximum spark energy is sustained to higher engine RPM. Flame Thrower III coils are compatible with both the Ignitor II and Ignitor III electronics. They are available in both chrome and black finish for that "stock look".
    Pertronix Flame-Thrower III Coils Features: 45,000 volts

Ultra Low 0.32 primary resistance
    Compatible with Ignitor II and III systems as well as most capacitive discharge boxes.

Charges to peak current typically 30-70% faster than other coils.
    Rapid charge time means maximum spark energy is sustained to higher engine RPM
    Legal in all 50 states and Canada. (C.A.R.B. E.O. #D-57-10)

If your budget allows it, this coil is a BEAST: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SIN=B0006302P4

That's what I got for my high voltage N machine experiments. I had it on my Datsun pickup for a while, but I didn't want $200 sitting there looking pretty so I put a Flame Thrower III on it. As a side note, this MSD coil would be incredible for Tesla experiments, getting it into resonance would shoot some serious fire.

It only has 0.016 ohms on the primary!!!

MSD
    Red
    .250 mH
    45,000 Volts
    2 Amps
    .016 OHMs
    Coil
    30 OHMs
    150 uS
    70:1
    Drag Race / Long Duration Use
    3.75 lbs.

Leave a comment:

• RB176
    replied
    Pertronix claims you need a 3.0 ohm coil for 4 cylinders or less. Place I bought it from said the same thing but there not using it for what we’re doing either. I also have a Pertronix Ignitor I magnetic pickup sensor also. I ran the coil and sensor and it’s working fine. Next step is to hook up msd street fire and diode up. Again my main concern would be either to much resistance and not achieving plasma or burning something up.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Hammond
    replied
    I use a MSD 8222 High Vibration Blaster Coil with mine and it works great! It has only .7 ohms resistance. Here's the link. https://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/8222/10002/-1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X