X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faraday88
    replied
    Originally posted by Hellenic Vanagon View Post
    The problem is within the mobile's camera structure, which cannot record smoothly, as if something, (radiation?), disturbs operation. The flow of the events, in reality, is uninterrupted without missing a bit. Using headphones you can hear that the rhythm of the discharges follows a normal pattern even at the points we cannot see the discharges.
    Hi,
    Yes, you could be true...the camera cannot capture what an eye can..after all it an assisted viewing A similar thing happens when you record using a camera about the brightness of LED or the color of the neon bulb. for LED The camera presents it to be brighter than what it actually is!!
    it is vital for me to tell just by the color of the neon-bulbs in SSG/SG if its Positive Radiant or Negative Radiant. camera viewing cannot capture this intricate detail.
    In your video of the Spark-discharge, there are intermittent jumps if I may so call it.
    This is inherent to modern day camera in terms of interference as you rightly pointed out. or sometimes is the result due to Stroboscopic dephasing effect.
    rgds,
    Faraday88.
    Last edited by Faraday88; 06-04-2018, 02:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hellenic Vanagon
    replied
    The unexpected result, using the modified NGK BUE, is that it seems giving plasma even having the power of the plasma unit off, (not that strong though).

You can see the phenomenon at the first moments of the next video, (here the same cell phone works a little bit better.):

The ignition system must be stressed a lot know and I am ready to resolve problems.

The modified NGK BUE (MKII)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180603_151402.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	49884
    Last edited by Hellenic Vanagon; 06-03-2018, 11:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hellenic Vanagon
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard
    See if you can get a Samsung S9+ cellphone to try out. They have a 720 fps slow motion camera mode.

Richard Gieser
    Thank you very much. I 'll try.

Leave a comment:

• Hellenic Vanagon
    replied
    Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
    Hi,
    Looks like the discharges are a periodical for some reason...this can happen if you have parallel paths (like several spark plugs in parallel)
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    The problem is within the mobile's camera structure, which cannot record smoothly, as if something, (radiation?), disturbs operation. The flow of the events, in reality, is uninterrupted without missing a bit. Using headphones you can hear that the rhythm of the discharges follows a normal pattern even at the points we cannot see the discharges.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    WeaponX had some iridium and rhodium non-resistor plugs I came across a couple years ago - have not had time to test them out, but that would be the next plug I'd test. http://www.weaponxperformance.com

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    In such unprecedented applications, usually, the good results may be affected by enthusiasm and happiness so it is better to remain calm for the next day's real results.
    Hi,
    Looks like the discharges are a periodical for some reason...this can happen if you have parallel paths (like several spark plugs in parallel)
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.

Leave a comment:

• Hellenic Vanagon
    replied
    In such unprecedented applications, usually, the good results may be affected by enthusiasm and happiness so it is better to remain calm for the next day's real results.

Leave a comment:

• Hellenic Vanagon
    replied
    This is the new MKII NGK BUE, (experimental):

You can see the two parallel discharges, (f. ex. at 0:36), and the new stronger arc.

My phone camera is interfered by the radiation and records image intermittently when the sound is recorded normally.
    Last edited by Hellenic Vanagon; 06-03-2018, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    My TIG welder is rated 360 amps and that is through a 1/8" tungsten electrode, far beyond the amperage/conductivity requirements of an ignition system.
    For Plasma Arc systems satisfactory conductivity isn't nearly so difficult to achieve (especially when you are talking about 2" of conductor length) as is acceptable life expectancy at which copper and it's alloys lags tungsten by a considerable margin.
    The outstanding feature of tungsten, for Plasma applications, is it's high-temperature durability during arcing.
    As implied by my original question, has a TIG tungsten electrode been tried for comparison purposes for both spark performance and durability?

Richard Gieser
    what you are referring to is a continuous rating (360Amps) and is characteristic to Arc- discharge Plasma and not Spark-discharge plasma the difference is but obvious. The peak current in the Pulsed plasma, of course, can go to several hundred Amps. Aaron's Plasma does the benefit of an Arc-Plasma in a Spark-discharge for a given power input. btw Ignition Energy is non-thermal at inception like a spark-plasma.
    rgds,
    Faraday88.
    Last edited by Faraday88; 06-02-2018, 11:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    Thanks Aaron.
    Yes, I reviewed that article recently and the comment "Thermocouple Alloy made from Tungsten - Rhenium Alloy which can withstand temperatures of over 2500 deg C and can be
    used here but it's pretty difficult to find in retail." is what inspired me to make my comment about the easy to purchase TIG electrodes. Also, thermocouple wire is usually very thin.
    I'm guessing that you have done some TIG welding yourself. I can't think of anywhere that gets more severe arcing than that tungsten tip.
    For the (2% thorium) tungsten rod there hasn't been much change in the welding industry for about 50 years to my knowledge.
    I would think tungsten rods would be first choice for a plasma spark plug conversion. Isn't it also the material that incandescent light bulb filaments are made of?
    That guy went to a LOT of work to make his sparkplugs in the article.

Richard Gieser
    Hi Richard,
    Tungsten used in TIG welding is for preferential melting of the base mental surface. However as you rightly pointed out it is used in the incandescent bulb for reason that it has high resistivity otherwise you cannot have I2R loss and thereby produce White hot light.
    However, in Pulsed Plasma spark application you would need highly conductive electrodes that have good shock resistance.... i cannot think of anything other than solid-copper...
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    Please look over this doc carefully: http://www.hho4free.com/spark%20plug...lasmaplugs.pdf
    Superb Aaron!!
    Robert krupa's plug and your patent came much later....how did Robert excite his Plasma??
    I know yours is true Plasma ignition is terms of modest power input.
    the plug and the Power to excite it are two different things..
    your comments please..
    Best Regards,
    Faraday88.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    TIG welding uses a tungsten electrode which can be purchased for $30 for 10 pieces (makes 20 sparkplugs?) of 1/8" diameter by 7" long.
    Have you heard of anyone trying this material for the center electrode in the sparkplug?
    Please look over this doc carefully: http://www.hho4free.com/spark%20plug...lasmaplugs.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    #1 The distributor is bypassed for the plasma, which is driven directly on the spark plugs, with tv cables.
    #2 No, I haven't the equipment necessary to make them.
    #3 I will try to catch the double discharges and I will post them.

Theoretically speaking, is it possible to have those two discharges in parallel, having between them a tiny distance, or they must coincide absolutely, as at 95% of the events happens ?
    I'll have to look at my old pics to see if I see them at the same time. Of course it is only possible for the cap to discharge after the HV normal spark jumps, but could be so fast the high current impulse from the cap jumps the gap before the spark is extinguished. That supports my belief in the accelerated discharge.

Leave a comment:

• Hellenic Vanagon
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    Are you discharging plasma through a distributor? You can bypass it and go straight to the top of the plugs.

Are you a machinist? Perhaps you can try to make some Robert Krupa Firestorm plugs to test with the plasma.

Can you post a video or pic of the spark/arc?
    #1 The distributor is bypassed for the plasma, which is driven directly on the spark plugs, with tv cables.
    #2 No, I haven't the equipment necessary to make them.
    #3 I will try to catch the double discharges and I will post them.

Theoretically speaking, is it possible to have those two discharges in parallel, having between them a tiny distance, or they must coincide absolutely, as at 95% of the events happens ?

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    Trying to do some updates to my system, tried modified spark plugs with the ground electrode removed, having that way a similar to the NGK BUE surface discharge spark plug operation with some differences:

#1 the central electrode now is 3 mm instead of 2 mm
    #2 they look rather as semi-surface discharge, since the spark/arc is partially 180° on the ceramic insulator, (a tiny part), and the rest a free 360° spark/arc.
    #3 the gap is now a huge 2 mm gap instead of the previous 1.3 mm, (recommended for the normal spark plugs is 0.7-0.8 mm), the 1.3 surface discharge gap being an easy for the sparc/arc to overcome because of that different geometry. (The distributor burns the contacts from the high energy demands, though, so it seems that the cavitated and filled with contactive grease contacts is a solution).

Now here is a question: with these modified spark plugs, sporadically, there is a strange phenomenon, (and this is why I am talking about spark and arc).

There are, simultaneously two discharges: one in a yellow-orange color, and 0.5 mm away, a second one with the bright white color. I thought that these two coincide always. Is this strange or it is expected?
    Are you discharging plasma through a distributor? You can bypass it and go straight to the top of the plugs.

Are you a machinist? Perhaps you can try to make some Robert Krupa Firestorm plugs to test with the plasma.

Can you post a video or pic of the spark/arc?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X