This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Tom,
    Thank you for the Quick response and clear answer.
    So I've to buy a 24 Volt solar panel to charge the 4 Trojans in series
    And buy a 12 volt Solar tracker V + 12 Volt solar panel to charge the battery's in our RV.

Thanks again.

Bas

Comment

Inside this FREE Solar Secrets eBook, you'll find...
      • The biggest MYTH about Solar Panel Efficiency!

• Why MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) Solar Charge Controllers will kill your batteries.

• The ONE type of Solar Panel the industry doesn't want you to know about.

• The KEY to rebuilding the batteries to like-new condition on every single charge!

• Getting more to your batteries from your panels than has ever been thought possible.

• And much more inside...

Get Your Information Now!

Click me now: Solar Secrets

Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by GlenWV View Post

If a volt is a volt is a volt, can an external power supply be connected to the device without harming it so long as the current supplied is within the rating of the solar tracker?
        Hi Forum,

Good question Glen, the TST5's are rated at having a max current input (for example, S10A12 is rated at having a max current input of 10A).

http://teslachargers.com/solartrackers10a12.pdf

Do the TST5's automatically cut off any possible excess current from the solar panels? Or can a current limiter (dimmer or controller) be added to the input connectors of a TST5 to control the current input?
        I imagine that a limiter would protect the TST5's form any excess current. For example, a current limiter rated at 10A Max used to control the harnessed current from the solar panels to protect a S10A12.

Cheers,
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by k.borkowski View Post
          Hi Forum,

Good question Glen, the TST5's are rated at having a max current input (for example, S10A12 is rated at having a max current input of 10A).

http://teslachargers.com/solartrackers10a12.pdf

Do the TST5's automatically cut off any possible excess current from the solar panels? Or can a current limiter (dimmer or controller) be added to the input connectors of a TST5 to control the current input?
          I imagine that a limiter would protect the TST5's form any excess current. For example, a current limiter rated at 10A Max used to control the harnessed current from the solar panels to protect a S10A12.

Cheers,
          Chris
          the rating on the tracker is telling you the MAX input in amps from your panels... use the wattage of the panels to give it its rated amperage. at 12 volts 15 watts per amp is a good fudge factor. the best efficiency you will get from a TST5 is by running your tracker at parity with your panels output.

a current limiter is a waste of energy, why would you not want to harness everything you can by sizing to match. another way you can do this if you HAVE to is add a DC load to the tracker input and have it running ALL the time so regardless of the solar panel output you are getting the right input wattage. this would take away from marginal charging at either side of the day, early morning and late afternoon as the load would take from the panels first.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
            the rating on the tracker is telling you the MAX input in amps from your panels... use the wattage of the panels to give it its rated amperage. at 12 volts 15 watts per amp is a good fudge factor. the best efficiency you will get from a TST5 is by running your tracker at parity with your panels output.

a current limiter is a waste of energy, why would you not want to harness everything you can by sizing to match. another way you can do this if you HAVE to is add a DC load to the tracker input and have it running ALL the time so regardless of the solar panel output you are getting the right input wattage. this would take away from marginal charging at either side of the day, early morning and late afternoon as the load would take from the panels first.

Tom C
            Hi Tom,

Thanks for your fast reply. For summer, with constant full sunlight, yes I agree that a current limiter would be a waste of energy as its easier to predict the wattage and current required for a particular panel to pair with the right TST5. But in winter, when overcast conditions often obstruct full sunlight, I thought about adding extra panels (mono) to increase the current input to the system and charge the battery at a greater rate. I've noticed this works well with the S10A12. Only problem is, not to exceed the rated current input for the TST5. I thought a current limiter might be of some use.
            I understand that amorphous solar panels provide a more stable current input and are recommended as the panel of choice in Solar Secrets (Great book), it's just that they're not as readily available in the recommended specs for the S10A12 or as affordable as the mono in Australia,..yet. Also, they require more area to set up to deliver the same amount of current as the mono.
            Whether a current limiter is necessary at all depends on how efficient it is, more testing with trial and error is needed I guess.

Another DC load is an interesting idea. As you can probably tell, it's the marginal charging that you get during morning, afternoon or during an overcast day that I'm looking at increasing and controlling.

Overall, the TST5 is a great product, most probably the best it terms of efficient use of equipment, I'm just looking into further optimising the performance of the system. So far I've been powering my laptop, light and phone from the solar powered system for a week now, without any hassle. Looking forward to seeing how the system works during summer in Aus.

Cheers,
            Chris

Comment

Chris,

I would charge more batteries. as a solar user I would want to wring every ounce of energy from the panels and store it or use it. I often recommend enough panels to run all your loads AND charge your batteries for night use.

Tom C

Comment

As it happens, I do have a second pair of Trojan 125's ready to charge. I'll hook them up after I work with the first pair for a bit.
                Thanks for the advice Tom. I agree with your recommendation, it's the most efficient way of using the solar system with the TST5 controller. From what I understand, frequent charge and discharge cycles work the battery and tend to decrease its charge time.

Cheers,
                Chris

Comment

the reason batteries degrade overtime is heat and undercharging. I expect 20 years from my batteries with my tst5.... it has the kind of finish voltage you need to fully charge them

Comment

Hello, A&P Media!
                    I would like to share my thoughts with you. And I would appreciate it very much if you hand in my letter to your company top management.
                    Peter? Aaron? I feel awkward and sad because of the current situation. My name is Alexander Ivanov. I'm a writer and traveler. I have been living for five years in the mountains of Siberia, writing books and articles, giving lectures about sustainable living. Yes, I live at a deliberate pace, in the mountains, where there isn’t wired electricity or cellular communications, in an eco-settlement which is fairly isolated from any civilization. But despite all my deliberation and the relaxed attitude to money, I began to feel cheated and somewhat disrespected. More than three months have passed since you took my order! (After all, it was respect to me as a customer that you wrote in your first letters about, wasn’t it?)

I’d like to remind you that on the 10.10.2014 I ordered controller 24V40A and paid for it. And even refused the offered discount on the account of the in-store credit for my future orders (will I make them now?), because I find it hard to do all the bank transfers from the mountains. And each operation takes me a lot of time and attention.
                    And so what ?Do specify the timing of orders to me personally in a letter and on your website: write that, say, “we carry out orders during a year, it can take us 3-4-5-6-7-8 (How many?) months to accomplish your order”. Write, and then everything will be honest. Now you are writing to me that the order will be done nobody knows when. And then you vanish into thin air and stop responding at all. And what shall I think of here, thousands of miles away from you?
                    I go on writing my book about Permaculture in Siberia, about our life experience in the mountains, translating my book into English ... I live as I used to.
                    My friend buys controllers in your company constantly and receives them by the Post of Russia. He says he has never had such a delay. Actually, it was him who had recommended me your equipment. And then I was offered to write in Russian articles about solar energy, and the fund "350.org" with the management in the USA even gave me a grant for your controller so that I could write in the climate workshop how to make the system of alternative energy sustainable.

And now, the summer has passed, fall is over, winter is already moving to its end. I gave my report on the purchased equipment which I have not seen yet, in the articles I wrote questions which I promised to answer, but did not answer. I wrote about the panel, some of the basics of energy. I continue to use the Chinese controller. As before. And I am gradually giving up my belief in your controller. Because I feel like a fool who has fallen for it hook, line and sinker. Although I really admire your work! What you do is unique, if it is true.And I am asked if it is possible to keep the batteries? Is it possible not to change the batteries every few years? And I say that it is possible, and that controllers tesla solar tracker can allow it. But I have not experienced it by myself. And I cannot say anything. And what if A & P Electronic Media does not exist at all? It just takes orders. And it does not matter that the order is carried out during 3 months. It is important to write in advance, that orders can be accomplished within 3 months!

I am looking forward to your adequate respond. And the feedback from your management. Hope for further co-operating and soon settling the matter.

P.S. I publish this letter here becouse i have got no reply from Jeff (info@teslachargers.com)

My e-mail: ivanovishe@gmail.com
                    Last edited by Alexander Ivanov; 01-25-2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X