No announcement yet.

An energy harvesting project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can’t find the 120/150/170 devices easily you will still get good results with the STP20N95k5 which is definitely available on AliExpress at a reasonable price. 95% of my tests results were done with this FET so no one needs to be hindered by the current dearth of some devices.

Having said that, I paid $52 for the 150&170k5 INCLUDING delivery of $5. You have to ask for the cheaper postal service rather than FedEx etc. The delivery time is variable but I got mine in Uk in about 2weeks which was perfectly acceptable.
    Last edited by JulesP; 11-26-2022, 08:13 PM.
    'Consciousness came First'

Comment

Hi Julian,

Regarding post #29
      It would be like adding 1 to 20 and wondering if having 21 is worth the extra effort and expense.
      I understand what you mean, you’re right (based on your data so far).

STW12N170K5 I cannot find on aliexpress either, STW12N150K5 I can.

Regarding post #29
      I have a couple of questions regarding the parts list, probably more if look longer at it (i.c.w. looking at the diagram V4), but will not do that for now and stay with the questions I have for now:

Gate driver
      IR2121 I find the version without the ‘pbf’ the end on the website where I generally buy my components*. Any idea what that PBF stands for? I looked on an infineon spec sheet where PBF was mentioned in brackets, but could not find a feature that was specific related to that PBF version.

*https://www.reichelt.com/de/nl/hs-po...ch=ir2121&&r=1

Did you use a socked, is that what you indicated with? Like this one:
      https://www.reichelt.com/de/nl/ic-so...ht_sldr::41574
      If not I assume there is no harm in doing so?

Do you have a link for the PWM module + display that you used?

Capacitors:
      -all electrolytic ones, voltage rating min 20V?
      -when you put the ‘+’ at the end, you mean indicated value is the min. value (capacitance)?

Resistors:
      -all wire-wound versions, 0.25W?
      update 2022-12-04 -> depending on the type of resistor they do not come standard in 0.25W. I selected 'thin film' resisters, 0.6W and some 0.4W.

What do you mean with ‘FET mount’ do you have link for that part?
      Do you have a link to the heatsink for the FET? (to make sure I order one that is not too big/interferes with other components) And did you use heat conducting paste in between?

More questions next time

Thanks for uploading the parts list!

Regarding post #31
      I just received my aliexpress diodes, also with +/-E5,- shipping costs via DHL, so no idea why Jinftry asked so much, I send them an e-mail about it.

Best regards,
      Rodolphe
      Last edited by pearldragon; 12-04-2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Hi Rodolphe,

Yes, all the resistors are 0.25W and the ‘+’ means polarised or electrolytic.

The FET mount was a hangover from my previous build in that it let me simply plug and unplug FETs in a matter of seconds. However, it was a custom-made part in effect that I can’t expect others to produce and so I have removed it from the v4 board but it slipped through on the listing. Instead, there are two sets of holes on the new PCB for two active devices to be installed as normal.

The first draft of the manual is now written at 69 pages and 23,000 words. But I need to check some of its details by actually assembling the new board. So all is looking good for a release around the middle of December.

Links to the other components will be in the manual but here is one type of PWM module:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203966572841?

PBF means Lead (Pb) Free and Google will tell you that.

J

Comment

Please note that some of the component designations in the above list will change before I fully release it. For example, the PCB design software sometimes uses U instead of D for some of the diodes and did so for the custom made footprint for the large relay. These will be corrected before mid December to avoid confusion. If you’re confused now you will need to wait a few weeks for clarification.

Comment

Hi Julian,

Thanks for answers and PWM link. I'll await your next updates on parts list and manual before asking more questions on the parts.
            Good luck finishing to manual! looking forward to read it.

Best regards,
            Rodolphe

Comment

Hi all,

Just a quick update.

The manual is pretty much ready but, due to ongoing postal strikes here in the UK, I am still awaiting a few key components. Until I receive those I can’t complete the PCB assembly and install the revised circuit to test it. I need to do that to confirm parts of the manual, for example, the diagnostics section.

So at the moment it’s looking like I won’t make the Manual live in mid-December as planned but hopefully closer to Xmas and, if necessary soon after. Nevertheless, I am now going to make the Mega link to the folders available, with access to all the Appendices and relevant research papers that will be of interest to some. The ‘Manual’ and ‘PCB files’ folders will just be empty for the time being. I also attach here screen grabs of the front cover and the Contents page.

Then in due course, I will post to say that the Manual and the other files are also up on the link you already have.

https://mega.nz/folder/YUM0nLoT#bYpLIazqMM5K2IrEQjghDQ

Jules

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_6637.jpg Views:	4 Size:	928.0 KB ID:	73927

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover page.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	73932

Name:	Contents page.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	73933

Last edited by JulesP; 12-05-2022, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Name:	Foto.png
Views:	311
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	73935

Comment

You’re certainly keen!

I don’t suggest buying any big Lithium batteries as the BMS (battery management system) installed in them can play havoc with the methodology and is the main reason behind some of my larger readings. Stick with Lead Acid, especially for getting going.

I’m still awaiting the arrival of the large relay and I’m going to take the time to gather some more data on the effect of different HVs from using different FETs and IGBT to add to the relevant section.

I’m estimating the manual will be out mid January now with the festive season stopping all my work - as expected. I will post another report though this week re using capacitors in place of the receiving battery. The electrochemistry definitely seems to be essential to the energy gain phenomenon.

Julian

Comment

I have completed some further tests using a bank of capacitors in place of the receiving battery that has shown that the electrochemistry of the battery is fundamental to the apparent energy gain.

However, this does not indicate the source of the energy itself. In other words, it is still not clear if the energy is coming from the dissolution of the chemical bonds in the electrolyte caused by the HV pulses, i.e. that the battery itself is the 'fuel', or if the chemistry is acting as an intermediary in an energetic process from somewhere else e.g. the vacuum.

It will take some innovative and comprehensive tests to clarify that.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Julian,

You thought I was just here harassing you and not actually planning to build anything?

The picture with its 10 bobbins might give a bit of the wrong impression; I don’t intend to make 10 coils. They were cheap, ordered them from aliexpress, so ordered double the amount, hoping that half of them would not be too deformed, so planning to use only 5.
                      I need to make a small jig to support the rod at one end of the small coil winder you see in the picture since it is not intended for such relative big coils, but will do that in the upcoming holidays.

Diodes are in, mosfets should be this week, already have some of the relays, PWM module is on its way.

Once I have everything setup, installed and ready to go in the future, for sure I will start with using the AGM or flooded lead acid batteries on the output, getting familiar with the setup, before buying any Li-Ion batteries.

Thanks for the research/uploaded file of post #39. ‘Keen’ to read it .

Best regards,
                      Rodolphe
                      Last edited by pearldragon; 12-18-2022, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Hi Julian,

I noticed that your link from post #1 does not work anymore (https://mega.nz/.....). Did you change it, did it expire or did something else happen to it?

Regards,
                        Rodolphe

Comment

The original link seems to no longer work so here is a refreshed one:

https://mega.nz/folder/xF12XBKK#FBieZOk74f3ZeFiAa4g-3A

The ‘replication’ folder specifically for that purpose is:

https://mega.nz/folder/YUM0nLoT#bYpLIazqMM5K2IrEQjghDQ

There will be more material added to theses folders from mid Jan onwards, when the Manual and PCB files will be added, and some files will be common to both sets of folders.

J

Comment

Installed my coil winder and wound the coils; pretty happy with it. Each coil is about 2000turns, resistance +/-11 Ohm per coil, 21 AWG wire.

-Magnet wire - Temco 21 AWG
                            https://www.ebay.nl/itm/261085733663...Bk9SR4j0s8WNYQ

-Coil winder YT-99A
                            https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32819...UR%21%E2%82%AC %20140%2C12%21%E2%82%AC%20121%2C91%21%21%21%21%21% 40211b441e16683575460884400ec7d2%2164875108334%21b tf&_t=pvid%3A118b0aba-3905-4908-a5ea-397c87a6531f&afTraceInfo=32819678960__pc__pcBridge PPC__xxxxxx__1668357546&spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product. mainProduct&gatewayAdapt=glo2nld

-Empty bobbins/spools - ?81.5mm wide / 84mm high / ?19mm bobine
                            https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/40011...yAdapt=glo2nld

-Core material (for bobbins/spools) - CEWELD G1 (1m, ?1.6, AWS: A5.2 : R45-G / DIN: 8554: G1 / w.nr 1.0324)
                            http://ceweld.de/en/product/g1

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coil winder 2.jpg Views:	9 Size:	585.4 KB ID:	73951
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Coil winder 3.jpg Views:	8 Size:	577.4 KB ID:	73953

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coils wound.jpg Views:	9 Size:	487.0 KB ID:	73952
                            Last edited by pearldragon; 12-30-2022, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Hi Julian,

First of all happy new year to you and all the other forum readers!

Not sure if it is still frowned upon to ask some question about some components (instead of having a bit more patience), but I’ve give it a try anyway

The following questions relate to the schematic / PCB board V4:
                              -Switches; I assume that a 16A DC rating is sufficient? The only one where I thought it might be important is SW4
                              (2023-01-04 -> The three UF5408 in parallel handle 3A each, so with a total of 9Amp I guess this question is answered ).
                              -End/connection terminals: what is the spacing of the pins? 2.54mm, 3.5mm, 5mm? (there are more options, but I guess t is one of these three.)
                              -Jumpers what is the spacing of the pins? 2mm, 2.54mm?
                              -Resistors in series with the LEDS (R1/R3/R11/R12/R16): Why are the resistor values so high? With a Vf of 2V, an If of 20mA and a supply Voltage of around 12.5V I come to resistor values of +/-525-Ohm.
                              -Relays RLY1 & RLY2 indicated on schematic as HFD2/003, but I guess should be HFD2/012-S-L2 (as on pictures)
                              -Diodes U4/U5/U6 what was the design choice to go for the UF5408 instead of even faster silicon carbide diodes? (indicated on schematic as 1N5408, but I guess should be UF5408 as on parts list).

I enclosed a parts list, still with some personal notes/additions to it of what I’ve ordered/plan to order so far.

Best regards,
                              Rodolphe

Solid State charger - Parts list V0.1.pdf
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by pearldragon; 01-04-2023, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Hi Julian,

Two more questions:
                                -Could you give me the dimensions (A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H) of the PCB V4 as indicated on the enclosed PDF? So I can start working on the mounting plate for the whole assembly?
                                -Any updates about the PCB V4, whether it functions as anticipated?

Many thanks in advance,
                                Best regards,
                                Rodolphe
                                SSC-000-PRT-001 - DRAFT.pdf

P.S. PWM module came in as well.

Name:	PCM module.png
Views:	242
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	73964
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by pearldragon; 01-05-2023, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X