No announcement yet.

Dr Robert Beck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I now understand your point of view. But still, that's why I said earlier that a better understanding would help, because changing some pot/resistor values didn't really change anything important on the circuit. Vtech did that so the calibration would be more precise. I mean, you could always use the original values Dr. Beck gave and get the same results, you didn't need to stop building your circuit. So you can proceed as it is now, I can guarantee you that Vtech's circuit works with all the resistors combinations found here and on 3dgs' blog. Just make sure you use polyester/polypropylene capacitors and avoid tantalum or old ceramic ones, since they seem to cause stability issues. Also it would be good to make it step by step as Vtech proposed, so you can check for errors that later would be more difficult to be found.
    About Ullasmann now, I'm aware of a guy who has built a couple of his circuits and they work flawlessly but I didn't have any feedback on the medical part. Just that they were working as they were meant to be.

Comment

• Thank you for understanding my point of view and to fill lack of knowledge about this subject I already brought books that will in time help me to aqure the required knowledge.

Comment

• Hello Sunshiner,

I'm glad to see your enthusiasm and will try to help so you can get this done without frustration. I'm familiar with other website and there is nothing wrong with original circuit. However, I'm always looking for other ways to get something done. Not by following and replicating but experimenting. This is also a good way to learn. I didn't modify original circuit except some minor changes but the principle of operation remained untouched. I built the first two using LM555 instead of 556 because I didn't have them at the time and wanted to see the results. You can use both ways.
        I don't know how far your understanding of this device goes so I'll start from scratch.
        BT consist of three oscillators (multivibrators). First two are built in and around IC556 which has two separate 555 circuits inside. Each oscillator works on principle of charging/discharging capacitor which is done through limiting resistors. Both resistors - from "discharge" pin to + and adjustable resistor from "discharge" to "threshold" together with capacitor between "ground" and "trigger" determine the output pulse rate as well as ratio between time ON and OFF. Time OFF is the space in square wave where output signal is "0". Ratio between time ON and OFF is referred to as a "duty cycle" or dc (not to be confused with DC - direct current).
        We'll be running close to 50% dc here, so time ON and OFF are almost equal.
        IC556 is responsible for generating two separate square waves of 111Hz and 1110Hz. Using term of "pulse rate" or "pulse per second" would be more appropriate here since we're dealing with square wave, not sinusoidal.
        IC555 is responsible for generating slow pulse, also square of 0.5 and 5 pulse per second. Selection can be done by switching resistance between pin 2/6 and pin 7. This pulse from output (pin 3) can be used to trigger "reset" of IC556 (pin 4). Option "neutral" is where 555 oscillator has its capacitor shorted to the ground and it doesn't trigger IC556. In this case we'll have only two signals coming out of IC556 - 111 and 1110 pps.
        What is important with these oscillators is the use of good capacitors. Some have tendency to "leak" and will cause distortion in waveform or drifting (fluctuating) of output signal. I just discovered faulty 1uF tantalum capacitor which was preventing IC555 from oscillating at low setting - 0.5pps. It was brand new with no sign of damage.
        I was talking to other member - Algorythm and he had the same issue. Once capacitors were replaced everything started to work. This is very simple device but it can cause frustration due to some faulty component.

From the original circuit I removed the option of powering from wall adapter as well as an indicator LED with 18k resistor.
        Assembled circuit draws about 20mA from battery. One LED on the output is enough to monitor its status. Adding another LED will just short battery life without serving any useful purpose.

If I may suggest something; when you start to build, don't connect everything at once. Get 555 running and both pulse settings adjusted. Assemble 556 oscillator and tune both outputs. Once this is done, connect remaining components, switches etc. This way if something doesn't work you can focus on particular section instead of searching all over the board.

Vtech

Comment

• Thank you very much Mr.vtech.I am very greatful for the help and advices that you and Mr.algorythm has provided to me. Once again thank you very much. Sir I want make a request to you,in the post where you posted the brain synchronizer version 2 ,the picture of the PCB layout was little bit small and hazy because when I printed it in my laser printer I was unable to read the values of the parts clearly ,so if it's possible can you post a larger resolution of it [ If possible aprox 1024x720]. Because when make any electronic project I keep a detailed description of the project with clear schematic pic. I intent to do the same for brain synchronizer,it will help me in making a veroboard version of it because I don't have resources to make a PCB for it . So if possible please post a larger resolution of it.
          Last edited by sunshiner434; 04-24-2013, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• That's the original size which was posted earlier. I don't have higher resolution picture, otherwise it would be posted. This layout was for my new pcb and it will not help you building on veroboard. Perhaps more helpful would be the layout on the website you have mentioned. If you have a chance, get one of those solderless proto boards and bunch of jumper wires (you can also make your own, using trimming of component legs, small heatshrink tube and different color wires).
            It is easy to swap components or make changes while working on prototype. You can also use them as testing bed for variations of same circuit - multiple oscillators with different variables.

Vtech

I finally figured out everything in BT project. PCB is fine, LM555N work better than P, 1uF capacitor should be tantalum type and the remaining capacitors should be PP or MP type, not ceramic. Once I replaced those leaking ones everything works like a charm.
            I just got some new ear clips today and they're more comfortable/ easier to apply than my previous set. Hopefully, by tomorrow I should have everything boxed and ready to use.
            Let me know if I can be of any help.
            Last edited by blackchisel97; 04-24-2013, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Ok sir,now I will start building the brain synchronizer where I left it.

Comment

• This is a short YT update on Brain Tuner - Bob Beck Brain Tuner - YouTube

Thanks
                Vtech

Comment

• Mr.vtech sir, what is the name of the ear clip you ordered second time,I mean to say what is the product name, product code.I am asking you this because how should I say ,the local medical equipment dealers in my area are go for nothing.I try to enquire about ear clip electrodes from them but they say I have to give them product code or what for it is used,I didn't have the product code ,but I told them what they do.They say I have to be more specific,can you believe this people's who supplies medical electrodes should know about them and I have no credit card ether ,so I even can't buy them from internet.so sir if give me some information that might help me, such with what other medical equipment these eletrodes are used that you brought recently other than CES units that sort of thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunshiner434 View Post
                    Mr.vtech sir, what is the name of the ear clip you ordered second time,I mean to say what is the product name, product code.I am asking you this because how should I say ,the local medical equipment dealers in my area are go for nothing.I try to enquire about ear clip electrodes from them but they say I have to give them product code or what for it is used,I didn't have the product code ,but I told them what they do.They say I have to be more specific,can you believe this people's who supplies medical electrodes should know about them and I have no credit card ether ,so I even can't buy them from internet.so sir if give me some information that might help me, such with what other medical equipment these eletrodes are used that you brought recently other than CES units that sort of thing.
                    They used them for TENS units. I purchase everything online since I wouldn't be able to get resistor within 100miles radius but you'll need either a PayPal or CC to order online or at least a bank account connected with your PP account. You can ask your suppliers for ear clips electrodes for TENS or CES device - ear clip electrodes - Google Search

Vtech

Comment

• Sorry sir for the late reply.I am waiting for my new multimeter to arrive.This one can measure frequencies up to 2 kHz. Mr.algorithm has suggested me before in the blog No more secrets to use either a oscilloscope or a multimeter that can measure frequencies above 60 Hz.I can't effort a oscilloscope because they are very expensive and i don't have that much pocket money,so i am going to use the multimeter for adjusting the frequencies.So it will take some time to finish building the circuit.I will post the pictures of it after finish building .Then i will learn target 3001 software because I want to make a professional looking schematic of this device,also the 3d layout.This will benefit the people's who are interested in this remarkable devise.
                      Last edited by sunshiner434; 04-29-2013, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Congratulations on your progress sunshiner! I admire your persistence and will to help other people! Can't wait to see the circuit finished.

Comment

• Good to see you working on it, Sunshiner.

I just received a new 10mH coil for my MP and hooked up in place of 3mH I had before. I also increased the capacitor bank first to 24,000uF and after that to 80,000uF. I can run now at full speed - 4pps and the coil remains under 40degC after 30min.
                          I need to do some calculations and measurements of magnetic flux and penetration but everything looks promising.
                          I'm also trying another idea (I don't mean to distract anyone who is already working on BT) of Brain Tuner using CD4047 counters. I used the same chip in my RLT and it is working very well. I assembled three oscillators, for 111, 1110 and 0.5/5 pps as per original circuit. I found them easier to tune and more stable than LM555. Basic oscillator on 4047 contains only 4 components - chip, capacitor, 220 Ohm resistor and adjustable resistor for tuning. For low pulse, such as 0.5 and 5pps 1uF tantalum cap should be used. These three chips with LED hooked up on the low pulse output draw 4mA at 9VDC supply.
                          I've got the same feedback from other member working on this idea but I'll let him speak about.
                          I attached couple pics of both MP coils and cap bank, 4047 BT mod. and BT device with accessories, just the way it will be offered.

Thanks
                          Vtech
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	BT set.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	45530Click image for larger version

Name:	MP 80,000uF.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	45531Click image for larger version

Name:	10mH vs 3mH coil.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	45532Click image for larger version

Name:	BT 4047.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	45533

Comment

• MR.Blackchisel97, please kindly post a 1024X720 resolution PCB layout pic of this new brain tuner with cd4047 counters.This new is the brain tuner with timer facility isn't it which will shutdown the brain tuner circuit automatically after 20 minutes.I want it ,my circuit is not finished yet ,because waiting for my new multimeter to arrive,so it's not going be any problem.I still have the chance to add the new components after all.I am willing to wait.So sir please kindly post schematics and PCB layout of this timer+brain tuner and please make the pic size larger one.Sir I saw the pics of the brain tuner with timer it has three ic , please post a schematic of this so that I can understand the wiring between the different components.Also please tell me how did tuned the new circuit.The timer is the very good addition.Mr.blackchisel you are amezing,please be tutor in this subject.
                            Last edited by sunshiner434; 04-29-2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Mr Sunshiner, hold your horses. I'm still trying this new idea and not even started to think about making another pcb yet. Yes, timer would be good addition and eventually may be incorporated. However, adding another circuit will increase power draw and shorten battery life. Also, if you want to turn power off after preset amount of time you'll need a latching or double coil relay. Normal relay will stay ON as long as is powered by the circuit. Once power gets disconnected relay will return to OFF state and turn the power back. If you look earlier in this thread you'll find the schematic diagram of 4047 circuit and timer. I used an active buzzer (the one which doesn't need feeding signal, only power). Same circuit can also have an additional LED signalling end of session, instead of buzzer which draws more current. Both are simple to make. Also, there is nothing wrong with BT made on 556/555. I just assembled and tuned another pcb today and everything works fine. I'm always looking to improve things or find other way to make them work. That's my nature.
                              Main thing is to use good capacitors and not to use power supply for tuning, unless it is good lab grade device. Poor filtration on the output of PSU will result in erroneous readings of 556 output. Especially lower, 111Hz. Use battery for tuning. This is also a reason I decided not to follow original schematic and optional powering from wall adapter. Most of them don't have good filters or are cheap switching supplies and BT would not hold its frequencies steady.

BTW. I have KiCad, Eagle, PCB Express software but all recent pcb's were done with Paint program which comes with Windows. Same goes for schematics. I like keeping things simple especially, if It is quicker. To me saving time mattes a lot since I have too many ideas and only 25hrs in a day (if I sleep faster).

Thanks
                              Vtech

Comment

• Sir i never said there is some thing wrong with the brain-tuner made with 556/555,that was not what I was saying.You said your self,that the brain tuner made with CD4047 is more stable then the LM555 and more easy to tune.Brain tuner deals with the brain so any kind of fluctuation might do some bad to the brain,so more stable circuit means less risk.You also when noticed LM555P type IC and capacitors are causing stability problems,you immediately changed their types.That's why I wanted to build the 4047 BT mod only because it is more stable than the BT made of LM555 circuit [you said so].

Yes sir you are right adding a timer circuit will consume extra battery power but it's worth it because Dr.beck has advised everybody not to use BT more than 20 minute in his lectures.

I will start reading the posts from beginning for the 4047 circuit and the timer.

4047 BT mod may be still experimental but since you have said it is more stable than BT made of LM555 ,so i am assuming it is fully functional otherwise you never would have mentioned about it's stability.

About the schematics,sir if 4047 schematics are like the triple LM555 BT circuit just pictures which shows how components are arranged on the fiber side of the breadboard, but not their values or which component is wired with which component,then it is not possible for me to make circuit from it.

By schematics I was referring to a hand-drown layout of the circuit just like the original BT schematics,that is also a hand-drown schematic.So if possible in case you decide to build a fully functional replicable version of 4047 BT mod, please post a hand-drawn schematic layout of it along with the tuning procedure.

Thank you for mentioning which softwares you use for schematic drawing.I will learn them too in time.
                                Last edited by sunshiner434; 04-30-2013, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X