Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John K's Superpole Bike Wheel SSG

Hi All,

Here is a modified bike wheel SSG I recently built. It is a 27" alloy rim on what seems to be reasonable bike wheel bearings, originally made in Belgium.
    The magnets are 18 pairs of 50mm x 20mm x 12.5mm ceramic #8 in super-pole configuration that are bonded to the rim with Selleys Liquid Nails High Strength. The wheel was then balanced by placing small pieces of lead on the spokes until there was no more rocking. Even though it has a slight wobble in it, I get over 25 minutes free spin time.

The coil is 5 x AWG#18 all 125' all 1.2 ohms, wrapped on a 90mm x 85mm Pittsfield spool with 1.6mm R60 welding rods for a core. The core is 18mm diameter.

The board is 4 x MJL21194, 100 ohms on each base, 50 ohm master resistor, 1N5408 - all matched.

Batteries are 12V 50Ah gels, used for a test run.

Machine likes to run at 0.5A draw current @ ~140RPM. Nothing gets warm at all.

I am currently doing the first load test, will post the results when they are done.

Thanks for watching the video.

John K.
    Last edited by John_Koorn; 12-13-2012, 11:00 PM.

Beautiful, John. Very elegant.
    h

Comment

John K,
      The energizer looks good, when you plot the chart I would like to see that.
      I have that kind of battery at work and they should not be pushed over 14.8 volts. try to just get one resistor in series with the trigger, it looks like it would be 220 ohms.
      Great work on the super pole energizer.
      John Bedini
      My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

love it JOHN K I allways wanted to build spole on a bike wheel
        dang those are big gel cells [batteries]
        zzguy

Comment

John B,
          Can you teach us something about what you just said? John has two 100 ohm resistors in parallel that he's calling the 50 ohm master resistor and he said in the video that it is in series with a 10 ohm branch resistor which is in parallel with a GOW bulb. How do you judge that he can replace those resistors in series with a single 220 ohm? Do you mean 220 ohm in parallel with the GOW or leave out the bulb entirely. I know I will never have your intuitive understanding of the circuits but how you do this is fascinating to me and I'd love an insight into your thinking process.
          thanks
          h

Comment

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
            John K,
            The energizer looks good, when you plot the chart I would like to see that.
            I have that kind of battery at work and they should not be pushed over 14.8 volts. try to just get one resistor in series with the trigger, it looks like it would be 220 ohms.
            Great work on the super pole energizer.
            John B,

Here is the first load test. I got 44Ah out of the battery, which is about the same as what I took out of the primary. So I am about 1:1 charging on the first cycle which should improve with more cycles. Let's not forget that it ran that bike wheel for 4 days so if I add in the mechanical energy I am way over the top.

What I'm going to do next with the setup is attach a battery to each of the collector diodes, so 4 batteries. These will be dried out gel-cells that I'm going to restore using your method.

Superpole Bike Wheel_T1.zip

John K.

P.S. The two trigger resistors are 100 ohms each, so I'll swap them out for a 47 ohm single resistor.
            Last edited by John_Koorn; 08-25-2012, 06:51 PM. Reason: adding stuff

Comment

Nice John K.. cant wait to see next cycle

Alfin

Comment

That was quick work! I'm still building my 5-filiar set-up. It takes a while to get all the bits together down here. Twenty-five minutes + free spin time is awesome! I'm buying a 29" wheel with ceramic bearing pack... might take a week to get here. Do you think the better spin time is on account of the double magnet weight? It's good to see you finally built one using just Liquid Nails U.S. I balanced my last wheel using just Liquid Nail on its own. It's very good stuff, nice & tacky, but takes about a week to dry to full strength. Very, very bad for fingers (took me six months to get over the last time I accidentally got some on my hands)! How did you go with Litzing the coil wires? Do you notice any difference with / without the flange? You've certainly set the standard high!

Comment

Hey Barrie,

Yes, the extra magnets give a longer free spin time. It also makes a great flywheel. The Liquid Nails is great, I get a few minutes to set the magnets into place and yes, I waited a week for it to go off properly. It also took a fair bit of scrubbing in warm soapy water to get it off the fingers. Better than super gluing your fingers together though
                  To twist the wires I put an eye bolt in the drill chuck and attached the wires and twisted one end. Then the same for the other end. Note that my wires were attached to the back fence on one end and then attached to an old battery on the other end. The battery was for weight to keep it the wire tight, not for power.
                  I twisted the wire attached to the battery first as the wire bundle gets shorter when you twist it. Then I attached the wire to the battery again and placed the battery so as to take the slack out. Then I twisted the other end that was attached to the back fence. Once it was twisted I started to wind the wire onto the spool from that end first and walked towards the battery as I wound.
                  To be honest, I did not notice a big speed difference with the flange, maybe 1 rpm. I adjusted it up and down a few times. I'm kind of flying blind here and will have to wait and see what effect it has on charging.

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                    the wire bundle gets shorter when you twist it.
                    Sorry to split hairs here.

Is that 125' length with the windings twisted together?

Or

walk out 5 125's, twist them up, and the length is what it ends up being?

Thank you.

Comment

Hey John,

Nice work, never thought to try liquid nails, I hear that it's really strong stuff though. Interested to see how that goes long term. 25 min has to be a record for freewheel

Like that circuit board, is that one of the new prototypes?

BTW it's not too hard to get that wobble out if you can be bothered. I had a chat to a bike nut and he talked me through the procedure.

Thanks for sharing mate, keep up the good work.

Ren

Comment

<p>
                        Originally posted by lost_in_samoa View Post
                        Sorry to split hairs here. Is that 125&#39; length with the windings twisted together? Or walk out 5 125&#39;s, twist them up, and the length is what it ends up being? Thank you.
                        Just walk out 125 feet and twist them. There is no secret formula. John K.</p>
                        Last edited by John_Koorn; 08-26-2012, 12:07 AM. Reason: HTML characters

Comment

Originally posted by Ren View Post
                          Hey John, Nice work, never thought to try liquid nails, I hear that it's really strong stuff though. Interested to see how that goes long term. 25 min has to be a record for freewheel Like that circuit board, is that one of the new prototypes? BTW it's not too hard to get that wobble out if you can be bothered. I had a chat to a bike nut and he talked me through the procedure. Thanks for sharing mate, keep up the good work. Ren

Thanks Ren, sorry I keep missing your calls.

I built my house on Liquid Nails and never thought to use until Barrie mentioned it. It takes longer to go off in colder weather (like in Melbourne) but here's a tip - after you finish your job, squirt off an extra blob somewhere. When it's rock hard you know that it's gone off and you can confidently know that your job is good to go.

That board is one that John Bedini gave me a few years ago. It's been used for many different experiments. We are working on a few boards though, one will be for the 10 coiler so it can be mounted behind the coils like John Bedini's.

Keep trying to call me, you can walk me through the anti-wobble process

John K.

Comment

Hay John,
                            Nice build!.. I have a 27" rim myself from my original build, I found these magnets are these similar to the one's your using?
                            Cheers,
                            George Nic
                            50 x 20 x 12.7mm Block (Ferrite) - Aussie Magnets

Comment

Originally posted by Georgey Nico View Post
                              Hay John,
                              Nice build!.. I have a 27" rim myself from my original build, I found these magnets are these similar to the one's your using?
                              Cheers,
                              George Nic
                              50 x 20 x 12.7mm Block (Ferrite) - Aussie Magnets
                              Hey George, they are exactly the ones I ordered. Same place too. I ordered 100 of them to get the price break.

John K.

Comment

Working...
                              X