X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup/Tuning Multicoil Machines

PHASE LAG

Hi all,
    Although I have successfully set up a superpole running two 5 filar coils, I think that it was more by chance that it worked successfully.
    I wanted to start a new thread to explore the intricacies of setting up and problem solving issues associated with primarily multicoil monopoles. Although I suspect superpoles would be the same.
    Just to make following the issues easier can I suggest starting each reply with a suitable heading relating to the issue covered so that when others follow the thread at a later date that searching through to the problem being discussed is clearly identified.

My first issue is running two coils on opposite sides of the wheel. I have tried linking them together by connecting the trigger from the first to the trigger rail of the second.
    What i get is a slowing of the wheel and generation of heat from the transistors on the secondary coil (like repulsion mode). I have also tried a pot in series to adjust for variation in the trigger required between the coils, although unsuccessfully.
    Both are wound counter clockwise (attraction mode) and both work well independently.
    I am able to run them simultaneously with independent triggers and it generates quite some RPM, the interesting thing is that running dual traces on the Oscilloscope I find that the H waves on the collectors (one on each coil) are out of step by 2.2msec. 2.2msec is about 1/3 to 1/2 of the H wave out of step. This would explain the heat given off by the transistors on the second coil when connected together as it would be fighting against the motion of the wheel. This also reduces the effectiveness of adding the coincident pulses together when run independently.

While the easiest solution would be to buy more transistors and match all the proposed 70 devices (10 coils, eventually) and the resistors and diodes etc, by the time we finish it could be a very very expensive exercise. So I think we need to work out how to tune coils with independently matched sets.
    Has anyone else seen this phase lag when dealing with multicoils in the past? What causes it? The coils are aligned correctly by the way so it is not related to being off centre! I've tried twisting the coils off centre to experiment with potentially varying the phase lag to no benefit or change.
    Thanks
    James

are you saying you have a trigger winding on each coil? you should only need one trigger wire alltogether

Comment

Brodie,
      You are correct. I was leaving the other trigger unconnected. Yet when it didn't work. I used the trigger to help investigate the reasons why it wasn't working properly. I would never had noticed the phase difference otherwise.
      James

Comment

James,

I like the idea, perhaps you can add a schematic or picture (showing the area your having a problem). This way its easier to follow along as well as sharing ideas on what a bigger SG looks like from different perspectives an materials.

Kevin

Comment

Hi James,
          I am about to start experimenting with a system very similar to what you are describing. I have not run my new machine yet but hope to have it running very soon. I completed my circuit board last night and still need to mount my coils.

I am going to start a new thread about the machine when I get it running but along the lines of this thread it will have two coils each with 4 strands of 18AWG and one trigger of 20 130ft. These are the coils from teslagenx. I plan to experiment with running both triggers but I had envisioned normal operation with only one and perhaps use the other as a generator coil.

On the circuit board I have configured the transistors in two banks of four, all 8 were matched however. I have switches setup so that I can send the output too separate batteries or combine into a single output. Put another way I can have a branch circuit output or a single output. All of the base and emitters are parallel but the collectors are split into the two sets. I will elaborate more in a thread about the build. Heck I have not even fired it up yet so not much to say other than I hope it all doesn't just go poof ;-)

Comment

If you use a single trigger on the "master" coil then the "slave" coils will all fire at the same time. The only "phase lag" you will get is if the transistors and base resistors aren't matched.

If the coils don't match it will only affect the shape of the "h" wave. Even if the slave coil is mounted EXACTLY 180 degrees from the master coil there will be inefficiencies if the magnets are not spaced PERFECTLY apart on the rotor. This inefficiency will slow down the rotor.

Multi-coils are fun to experiment with, however a single coil with double the windings than a dual-coil machine will eliminate the inefficiencies mentioned above. I.e. a single coil with 8 windings will perform much better than 2 coils with 4 windings.

John K.

Comment

Just thinking for the future here...but what would be the ideal setup to scale up to charging 225AH batteries?

A larger coil with more windings, or a couple slave coils? Or would I need more power even than that?

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
              If you use a single trigger on the "master" coil then the "slave" coils will all fire at the same time. The only "phase lag" you will get is if the transistors and base resistors aren't matched.

If the coils don't match it will only affect the shape of the "h" wave. Even if the slave coil is mounted EXACTLY 180 degrees from the master coil there will be inefficiencies if the magnets are not spaced PERFECTLY apart on the rotor. This inefficiency will slow down the rotor.

Multi-coils are fun to experiment with, however a single coil with double the windings than a dual-coil machine will eliminate the inefficiencies mentioned above. I.e. a single coil with 8 windings will perform much better than 2 coils with 4 windings.

John K.

Comment

Thanks John, Mikey and others.
                My transistors are matched for each coil as are the base resistors.
                I did notice that the waves differed slightly in shape indicating slightly different capacitance and impedance.
                Slight mismatches in spacing will show up as a periodic wobble which makes sense

The phase shift has got me stumped so far.

The only thing I can think of is I found myself short on matched transistors. So I'm running 1 coil with 8 power strands and one with 6. The remaining strands (1 power,1 trigger) left unconnected.
                Theoretically I can't see how that would affect the phase. But I'll keep testing and experimenting until. I find out the reason. I will post when I find out

Thanks
                James

Comment

Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                  Just thinking for the future here...but what would be the ideal setup to scale up to charging 225AH batteries?

A larger coil with more windings, or a couple slave coils? Or would I need more power even than that?
                  Branch,

Personally I would go with one larger coil.

John K.

Comment

Interesting! So the 8-filar that John uses...what is around the max capacity that can effectively charge? Or is it just a matter of time?

I would love to build one large coil that will handle these Trojan T-105's I'm going to buy. With more windings I guess I would need a larger spool...and potentially bigger magnets to match the larger core correct?

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                    Branch,

Personally I would go with one larger coil.

John K.

Comment

Shameless plug insert here :

I started that thread about my 2 coil setup

LINK:
                      http://www.energyscienceforum.com/showthread.php?t=1258

James take a look and see if this is similar to your setup. We can perhaps try things out and verify on each of them if things work out the same.

Comment

PHASE LAG
                        When I looked closely at each coil I found that I had some excessive tolerance in the coil holder, particularly around the hole where the coils core material poked through. When I glued it together I unintentionally biased both to one side ( about 5 mm each). When done on the two coils this resulted in a variance of around 1cm. Because I was working on it from the rear of the machine I hadn't noticed (blocked by the coil holder!).
                        This would explain the phase of the secondary coil being out of step with the first. And why it generated heat and slowed down when correctly connected to the primary coils trigger. In essence it was working in repulsion mode for the slave and attraction mode for the primary.
                        James
                        Last edited by James Milner; 12-03-2013, 06:12 AM.

Comment

TUNING BASE RESISTANCES ON DUAL TRACE OSCILLOSCOPE
                          Has anyone tried adding a 10 ohm 25 turn trimmer to the base resistors and tuning it on a dual trace oscilloscope? This way we could cause the trim to be so accurate as to synchronise the gate openings even more accurately. In theory this will more accurately add the spikes together to form larger amplitude spikes due to the signal reinforcing one another more accurately.
                          I'm drawing up a new trial circuit board to give it a try. I'd appreciate any experiential feedback.
                          James

Comment

James,

yes I have "thought" about it, but that is as far as I got. the 20 turn precision pots can get expensive I am looking forward to your results, if you look insideJohns class A amps he dies just that to bias them all correctly.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Thanks Tom,
                              It's nice to know I'm on the right track

James

Comment

Working...
                              X