An energy harvesting project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Julian,

I also wanted to ask for your suggestions on reducing the supply current in an SSG/SG-type device.
    I'm not sure how to respond to this. ........................My main experience has been only with the SSG as presented in the three handbooks. I tried to copy John Bedini's build as closely as I could. The coil spool, welding rod core, seven 130 feet strands of #20 wire and one 130 feet of #23 wire twisted together (litzed) and wound evenly around the spool was used. The 21 magnets were evenly spaced around a 26" steel bicycle front wheel fitted with precision ball bearings without seals. The basic circuit on the Teslagenx board with matched components was used with one trigger coil input and seven power winding inputs. Here's a link to the board. http://www.teslagenx.com/kits/tx-sg8.html?category=kits The kit had a 12ohm resistor for the common trigger input and 470ohm resistors on each individual trigger input to the 7 MJL21194 transistors used.

Tuning consisted of balancing the wheel and lubricating the bearings for a maximum run-down time which was 13 minutes for my wheel (with coil removed) and then adjusting the air gap between magnets and coil core for fastest running with least current draw. This worked out to .354" on my machine. I later switched out the 12ohm input resistor with a 100ohm pot so I could experiment with input resistance and air gap settings. Turns out I got the best results with the original set up. I found that any added resistance anywhere in the circuit reduced the results. This includes thru meters, switches, connections. and wiring.

The rule of thumb for these machines is .250 amps current draw per power winding. So with 7 windings mine should draw 1.75 amps which is very close to what it draws in common ground ( aka generator) mode where it gives around 1.25 COP in AHs using 13AH flooded batteries. And In radiant mode it draws 1.25 amps giving around .6 COP in AHs using the same batteries. With cap discharge it gives around .8 to .9 COP.

What I found is that I can change both the RPM and current draw by changing either or both the trigger input resistance and the air gap. But I get best charging with the original settings. So, for any given machine there is a best combination of variables. And current draw can be either too great or too little for best results.

I've also been experimenting with an older machine I built that uses 5 power windings and hall effect switching of MJL21194 transistors. It will not get above .9COP and draws 1.25 amps in generator mode. I'm in the process of changing it out to SiC FETs. I tried driving all the windings in parallel with one FET and it drew way too much current and blew out the FET. Then I hooked all the windings in series and drove it with one FET. That drew too little current and gave poor results. Next I want to try driving each winding with it's own FET and see what that does.

If I wanted to include such an adjustment would a simple pot in series with each channel be suitable to take the total supply current down from around 0.9A to around 0.25-0.5A, or perhaps elsewhere in the circuit to affect all channels equally?

My concern is that dropping nearly half an amp at around 12V means dissipating 6W so does that mean that the only sensible way to drop the current is to reduce the coil voltage? This can be done with my Buck Converter but that has other consequences.
    I think that driving each recovery coil with it's own separate transistor would lower the total current and they could all be tuned by a common pot and matched branch resistors. Another approach would be to put the coils in series instead of in parallel or maybe a combination of parallel pairs in series. Adding a pot in series with each coil would waste a lot of power whereas adding a transistor to each coil would control the current without a lot of heat loss. Either of these approaches would have the effect of lowering the voltage applied across each coil.

Gary Hammond,
    Last edited by Gary Hammond; 10-09-2023, 04:21 PM. Reason: added more content

Comment

• Thanks Gary,

I’m drawing about 0.2A per winding so my draw is typical it seems. I will try putting my four recovery coils in series to push the coil resistance to around 70 Ohms while leaving the 4+1 winding main coil the same.

Your CoP of 1.25 you got with 13Ah batteries and I’m led to believe that using bigger deep cycle batteries encourages even better results and I’m trying a 110Ah deep cycle one which is being slowly conditioned.

I will also try a REAC setup in due course but there is also the option of real time mixing of HV spikes and cap dump pulses so plenty to be going on with.

Still very puzzling why my charging voltage will not go above around 13V; cf Rodolphe’s 15V with my own PCB design. So I need to use a sub-optimal charging reference point but that’s not too serious.

I’ve added an old radio broadcast to my site (No 8 in the list) at: https://www.kerrowenergetics.org.uk/video-links

Julian

'Consciousness came First'

Comment

• Hi Julian,

Your CoP of 1.25 you got with 13Ah batteries and I’m led to believe that using bigger deep cycle batteries encourages even better results and I’m trying a 110Ah deep cycle one which is being slowly conditioned.
        It seems counterintuitive, but deep cycle batteries are probably not the best way to go. They will work with this technology, but not as well as an equivalent AH car starter battery. I bought four 105AH deep cycles 5 years ago to experiment with thinking they would give better results than they did. I used them in a battery swapping arrangement, and this year two of them developed shorted cells due to not being fully recharged each cycle. Here's a link to a video I posted of them when they were still fairly new. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld6MEEzxUnM

Deep cycle batteries are designed to produce low current over a long period of time and able to withstand being deeply discharged each cycle. Automotive starter batteries, however, are designed to produce high current for very short time duration. This means that the starter batteries have a much lower internal resistance than an equivalent sized deep cycle and is more suited to this technology, which doesn't need deep discharging and can produce charging to 15.3 volts or higher each cycle. These machines give best results when working near the middle and top of the charging cycle voltage ramp.

With my machine I tend to get the best results overall with car batteries in the 500 to 700 CCA range. At 20 CCA/AH this converts to the 25 to 35 AH range. Here's a link to a chart about this. http://www.teslagenx.com/reference/c20.html

Gary Hammond,

Comment

• Hi Gary,

Clearly, I was given poor advice by another who was adamant that the larger deep-cycle batteries would give the best results.

So I should be aiming for a fluid-filled battery or are the AGMs or SLAs equally as good? I have a 17Ah AGM mobility battery, that I have done many tests on, but its IR is not as low as I would like.

Here is a typical 35Ah sealed one:
          https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/lion-...AOVjBdo1wlPhF3 w-Do3ey2GriojrIEx_XdUe0TD9DN40BPMlTmn7N1iiersaAmd3EA Lw_wcB

It's not easy to find fluid-filled ones these days, except perhaps in small motorcycle batteries for example.

Perhaps my 110Ah battery can serve as a REAC, a 3rd battery, although many say that depleted and sulfated batteries work best here.

Decision, decisions

Julian

Comment

• Hi Julian,

So I should be aiming for a fluid-filled battery or are the AGMs or SLAs equally as good? I have a 17Ah AGM mobility battery, that I have done many tests on, but its IR is not as low as I would like.
            I didn't realize it would be difficult to find flooded lead acid starter batteries in the UK. We still have them readily available in the US.

The battery in the link you provided is only a 300 CCA which is pretty low for also being rated at 35AH. Our U1 and U1L lawn tractor batteries are rated from 270 to 335 CCA and will only deliver from 11 to 13 AH when tested on the CBA analyzer. These are what I started with and also what I showed on my home page that gave me the 1.25 COP.

I've also gotten nearly as good results with 12AH AGMs but I prefer the flooded type because I think they have the lowest internal resistance. The deep cycle batteries will work, but I get better results with flooded starter batteries on my particular machine.

Gary Hammond,

Comment

• Hi Gary,

I suppose fluid-filled but tamper-proof (sealed) would be ok, so long as it doesn't need topping up through loss of water over time.

Would you say then that the CCA/Ah value is the most indicative of low IR and more important than the Ah capacity - so best if I compare a range of batteries to find a ratio of at least 20A/Ah, even if it results in a 40Ah or larger battery?

Julian
              Last edited by JulesP; 10-11-2023, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• Hi Julian,

Originally posted by JulesP View Post
                Hi Gary,

I suppose fluid-filled but tamper-proof (sealed) would be ok, so long as it doesn't need topping up through loss of water over time.

Would you say then that the CCA/Ah value is the most indicative of low IR and more important than the Ah capacity - so best if I compare a range of batteries to find a ratio of at least 20A/Ah, even if it results in a 40Ah or larger battery?

Julian
                Most car starter batteries I've seen in the US for the past 20 years don't give a reliable AH rating, only the CCA rating. Some dual purpose marine batteries still give both ratings. But to answer your question, the 20 to 1 ratio of CCA to AH would be a pretty reliable guide.

The battery link you posted (post # 138) is about the same physical size as our U1L lawn and garden batteries. I used to have a 2006 Ford Expedition with a 4.6L v8 engine. Here's a link to the flooded batteries still available for it. Notice that only the CCA ratings are given. Most of my vehicles use batteries near this size range, and when I replace them I keep the old ones to use with the SSG. https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...explorer-v846l And here's a link to the U1 batteries available locally. https://www.farmking.com/category/di...tegory?id=3042

Some of our flooded maintenance-free batteries can be opened up to add water, but the AGM ones are usually sealed.

Gary Hammond,

PS : I see that the Interstate battery link shows 7 batteries available for the vehicle listed. 5 of them are flooded and give no AH rating. But the last 2 listed are AGM and DO give an AH rating. These figure out close to a 11.8/1 ratio for one battery and 11/1 for the other.
                Last edited by Gary Hammond; 10-11-2023, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• Ok thanks, the hunt is on.

Comment

• Hi Julian, F

Well, I've been looking at more battery specs and claims since we started down this rabbit hole. LOL I don't know if the battery manufacturers are trying to muddy the water with all the various specification terms or I'm just not smart enough to figure it all out!

Looked at my 105 AH deep cycle marine batteries a minute ago and discovered they have a label declaring a CCA rating of 550 CCA. That's only a 5.2/1 ratio of CCA/AH. My SSG would charge them very slowly to a max of 13.8 volts as best I can recall. They did, however, work OK in the 4 battery manual swapper circuit I made taking about 20 minutes to regain their starting voltage when in the charge position. They would keep repeating this reaching the same charge voltage in 20 minutes each cycle. I did this for up to 6 hours. At that time I got tired of baby sitting and manually switching them. I suspect they would have done this indefinitely if they were automatically switched. They were working in the 12.4 to 12.8 volt range which eventually caused sulfation due to under charging. I concluded that these batteries were too large and of the wrong type for what I was trying to achieve.

Then after searching for a while I found an old spec sheet for the Interstate batteries I used to sell back in the 1990s. It had a footnote that said to estimate the 20-hour capacity for any battery to multiply the reserve capacity (RC) rating by 6/10. (The RC is the number of minutes of 25 amp output at 800F.) They had 3 different U1 style batteries back then each with a different set of ratings and number of plates. The middle one had 48 plates and was rated at 230CCA and 30 minutes RC. So multiplying the RC by 6/10 =.6x30=18AH. And dividing the CCA of 230 by 20 =230/20=11.5 AH. This size battery would usually show 11 to 13 AH actual capacity on the CBA analyzer when discharged at the C20 rate. The CBA analyzer gives the actual rating and not an estimate.

And after thinking about it for awhile, I concluded that the CBA could also be used to find the internal resistance at any discharge rate. You need to start with a full charged battery and hook it up to the CBA and measure the voltage at the battery before starting the discharge at the C20 or whichever rate you chose. Then when the discharge is started there will be a dip in voltage with a partial recovery after a few minutes which will then remain steady for awhile. If you then subtract this steady state voltage, measured at the battery, from the fully charged voltage you will have the voltage drop across the battery under load. Divide this voltage drop by the current draw chosen and shown on the computer to find the actual internal resistance of the battery for that rate. (R=V/I) Taking all voltage measurements at the battery you eliminate reading any voltage drop that occurs in the connecting cables and points of connection.

Finding the actual IR at any particular C rate of discharge is probably the most reliable way to compare batteries and how well they will respond to radiant/pulse charging.

Gary Hammond,
                    Last edited by Gary Hammond; 10-12-2023, 02:12 PM. Reason: corrected error in proceedure

Comment

• Hi Gary,

I have had a comprehensive look at batteries from a wide variety of manufacturers and almost all of them have a CCA/Ah ratio of around 10 or even less, implying a moderate to high internal resistance (accepting that for a lead acid battery they should be in the 10-50mOhm range when new).

However, Yuasa makes a range of wet motorcycle batteries, and where these have a better ratio, some around 12.5. However, in some of the listed specs the CCA value quoted is significantly higher than on the battery itself, so I'm seeking clarification.

So not only are these the best ratios I can find anywhere, with any battery type, but it can be topped up, so I reckon one of this type would be a good buy.

If you run through the list on this link: https://www.tayna.co.uk/Yuasa-YuMicr...ycle-Batteries you can see the Ah and CCA listed, which is helpful.

With two batteries with a similar 'good' CCA/Ah ratio, I assume the larger Ah one would be preferable.

However, I have just heard back from the battery support and they say that the lowest IR is with the AGMs as they have thinner plates. Or, if I must have a wet battery, then choose one with the highest CCA. So it seems it might be a choice between having the lowest IR and being able to top up?

When it comes to measuring IR, the CBA does it with the enhanced software that I have but it needs to be calibrated since the values I’m reading include the cables, etc. Here is what support says about how to do that:

“Run a test, the higher the current the better. Write down the voltage at the battery, the voltage on the screen and the current. Then use TOOLS > CALIBRATE CABLE to enter that information. The software will calculate the resistance and use that in future voltage calculations for the screen.”

I have yet to do this but I’m hoping it will be the most accurate and simplest way to get that value.

Julian
                      Last edited by JulesP; 10-12-2023, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• Hi Julian,

However, I have just heard back from the battery support and they say that the lowest IR is with the AGMs as they have thinner plates. Or, if I must have a wet battery, then choose one with the highest CCA. So it seems it might be a choice between having the lowest IR and being able to top up?
                        That's interesting. I just assumed that the flooded ones would have the lowest IR because there is nothing between the plates except the electrolyte. My assumptions are not always accurate.

When it comes to measuring IR, the CBA does it with the enhanced software that I have but it needs to be calibrated since the values I’m reading include the cables, etc. Here is what support says about how to do that:

“Run a test, the higher the current the better. Write down the voltage at the battery, the voltage on the screen and the current. Then use TOOLS > CALIBRATE CABLE to enter that information. The software will calculate the resistance and use that in future voltage calculations for the screen.”
                        Yeah, I forgot about the voltage drop in the cables and connections, so I went back and corrected the procedure I posted. This can be a significant loss. In fact my CBA had enough loss in the connectors between the short sections of cable that go to the CBA and the longer sections that go to the battery, that it was causing irregularities to be displayed on the discharge curve. I at first thought something bad was happening in the battery, but using a voltmeter directly across the battery discovered it had to be the connectors and not the battery itself. I removed the connectors and spliced the cables back together with a soldered connection. I also removed the connectors from the cables inside the CBA and soldered them directly to the PC board. End of problem!

I've not had any problem being able to "top up" the AGM batteries. Rather the only type I've had trouble "topping up" are the 105 AH deep cycle ones as they are too large for my machine. I'm old school in that I still prefer the flooded starter batteries. I've been able to rejuvenate several of them while I've never been able to rejuvenate the AGM type.

Gary Hammond,

Comment

• Hi Gary ,

Yes, I have often had a 'poor/dirty contacts' notification during CBA discharges, that gave spikey, rough traces, arising from poor contacts in the pigtail connectors. One of the first things I did was solder the input cables directly to those metal prongs coming off the CBA board.

I think what I need to do is use the calibration method they gave me to measure the IR with various battery types at a specific C rate to find out what has the lowest value. I would also have expected that fluid-filled batteries would have the lowest value but I guess plate thickness must also come into play as well.

I would also expect that rejuvenating AGMs would be more difficult as the paste used is much less mobile than fluid electrolyte so ‘rehabilitating’ the Lead Sulphate is much more difficult.

I wish I was able to ‘top up’ my batteries! Until such time as that happens my CoP method will have to continue to use an ‘up and down’ method - charging from a measured voltage point at around 80% charge and then discharging back down to the same voltage (or near enough with some interpolation). At least it’s a consistent method for comparisons.

Julian

Comment

• Hi Gary,

Another quick query if you please. I have been adjusting the 1k trigger pot for the fastest rotor spin and not necessarily the minimum current. Is that the preferred method? There is a point where the minimum current coexists with the highest rpm, and that is what I try to find. It is usually a little different (a few pot turns) for each battery type.

Julian

Comment

• Hi Julian,

Originally posted by JulesP View Post
                              Hi Gary,

Another quick query if you please. I have been adjusting the 1k trigger pot for the fastest rotor spin and not necessarily the minimum current. Is that the preferred method? There is a point where the minimum current coexists with the highest rpm, and that is what I try to find. It is usually a little different (a few pot turns) for each battery type.

Julian
                              When running in radiant mode, it will usually start out at 2 or 3 pulses per magnet pass. In order to get to one pulse per magnet pass it may require reducing the base resistance pot in order to get it to "shift" from 3 to 2 and/or from 2 to 1 pulses which in turn increases base current. One it has "shifted" the RPM will increase to a given speed and then slowly increasing the pot resistance will cause a further increase in RPM and decrease in run current. There is a sweet spot where it runs at maximum RPM with the least current draw just before it drops back into adding an extra pulse back in. I try to run in this sweet spot, which changes over time as the run battery drops in voltage. If you adjust to slightly above this sweet spot it will run longer before shifting back to an extra pulse. Another trick is to add a "grain-of-wheat" bulb in series with the pot. This tends to cause the machine to self servo as the run voltage drops.

If you are running in common ground (generator) mode you will only get 1 pulse per magnet pass and can adjust for max RPM at least current draw. In this mode, as the charge battery increases in voltage the RPM will also increase and the current draw will decrease because the load is reduced and the voltage differential between the batteries is also reduced. In fact, the charge voltage can go way above the run voltage and produce overcharging of the receiving battery.

Gary Hammond,

Comment

• Thanks Gary for all that. I tend to run in Generator or Common Earth mode so the max RPM for min current is what so have been doing. Still haven’t got a battery above about 13V though . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X