Hot Rodding Bedini Bike Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi bro d,

Your opto switch setup looks really good. But it will have a set on time to off time ratio. I plan to use a similar set up but will use TWO switches in series, so I can vary the ratio of on time to off time as well as the exact timing of either point. I did this with hall switches on one of my SG wheels and it gives a little more control over the switching process. Just an idea for you to consider.

Gary Hammond,

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230526_212637.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	531.9 KB
ID:	74200 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230526_212114.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	74201 Hi All,
      With 6 coils she passed the smoke test.
      Every thing worked as desired or better.
      No bank switching yet. Will do after I can run it with 16 coils and 48 volts.
      I ran it at 12v, 3A and she did 1600rpm. Very smooth.
      The charging cct worked and I was pulsing the chr batt with 38v pulses.
      I put the opto sw at dead center of the firing position and guessed the right direction.
      NO HEAT! That was a big concern. Every thing stayed room temp. might change with higher V.

Will put a vid on dropbox in the near future.

Comment

Looks very nice, thanks for sharing brod looking forward to a seeing it completed.

Dave Wing

Comment

Hi All,
          I turned it off and timed the free wheeling - 14min, 4sec.
          I reduced the on time by 50% and it ran at 880rpm instead of 1600. Lower Amp draw.
          I can control the temp of the coils at higher voltages with this method.
          The rotors are pushing some cooling air.

3.6Amp 12v - 1600rpm

The spikes at both speeds are over 200v.

Next I have to run 8 coils with sic fets and sic diodes.
          Then 2 groups of 8 fets and a 250w generator.
          Also 2 bank battery swapping.
          Still plenty to do.

bro d

Comment

Hi Gary,
            I use 2 trigger wheels on the shaft together to squeeze the on time down to almost 0% if desired.
            I should make 2 wheels that have a little more than max on time for full range adjustment.
            I do have to stop it to adjust the wheels but not the location with the opto device.

I've never thought of hall devices in series. I just did some googling on the subject and didn't find them in series. Parallel seems to be common.
            Gnd to pos and adjustable locationwise?

Thanks,

bro d

Comment

Hi bro d,

Sounds like you're already doing a variation what I suggested. Great minds think alike! LOL

I think I used a separate transistor amplifier for each hall device and then just wired the two transistors in series. That way both devices have to be on to conduct a signal to the FET. If they were in parallel either device would turn on the FET and any overlap would increase the on time rather than decrease the on time. I used two devices with separate, adjustable mountings that were both turned on by the back side of the magnet passing over the coil. By moving both devices in the same direction I could change the timing, and moving only one would either lengthen or shorten the % of on time. I think I wound up at about 19% duty cycle for best results on that particular machine.

I think with only a single signal device it had about a 23% duty cycle and used a little more current.

Gary Hammond,
              Last edited by Gary Hammond; 05-29-2023, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Any one an expert with sic fets.
                I have a 2 fet setup working but have questions.
                I was using 6 si fets in parallel and switching with the driver with and opto device. 6v into the opto and 12 into the driver.
                With 2 sic fets in parallel I'm with same opto I'm driving with 18v (15required( and 21.3v into opto switch.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	across coil intermitant interferance.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	74235 Click image for larger version

Name:	across driver out and driver suppy negative.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	549.4 KB
ID:	74236 Click image for larger version

Name:	across coil.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	549.8 KB
ID:	74237
                The pic with interference is intermittent.
                The 2nd is a shot of the pulse at the driver.
                3rd is clean shot of coil firing.

I learned from John Stone who is a German engineer that specialized in high amp DC, to put in the TVS diodes
                and other items in addition to the basic components to protect the the fets and stabilize the drive cct.
                He's not available now and I learned from him on si fets. He went to great lengths to develop and teach for the UFOpolitics thread on the energetic forum.
                I'm attempting to use his approach.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi All,
                  This forum rarely works on my PC.
                  I've got the rig running with 16 coils and the 2 bank battery swapper @ 12v input.
                  Will continue to 48v.
                  no cap pulsing, air core coil motor for generator to be belted to shaft.
                  Still much to do.
                  I have had contact with a friend that has talked at length with PB about this method.

Always grateful,
                  bro d

Comment

Hi All,
                    I'm writing on a friend's computer and unable to post pics.
                    My home computer won't allow me to login to this forum.

update:
                    Made baltic birch laminated rotors and machined the wobble out of them and they have side mounted mags.
                    Made a generator that runs on the same shaft as motor.
                    Bought 10 large automotive batteries and ran the rig @ 60v input with swapper for 3 days and the batteries did not maintain.

Investigating next steps.

bro d
                    Last edited by brodonh; 09-04-2023, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Link to present setup. Enjoy

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/nbg4k...mpiw1u9h7&dl=0

bro d

Comment

Thanks for posting your results, the machine looks fantastic definitely a lot of work went into it, unfortunately I could not get the video to play.

Dave Wing

Comment

What is your input vs output amperage?

Comment

Working...
                          X