Building a window motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a window motor

I am in the process of building a window motor. I have some questions.
    Is there a picture of a jig for winding the coils so the shaft will go through?
    Can I use an Iron core for the rotor?
    Can I use a compound neo magnet configuration on the iron rotor?
    Thanks for your help Jeff Joseph

Why are there no answering this ?
    Best regards
    KSor, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Joseph View Post
      no
      yes
      no
      Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

The Window motor has a set of Permenant Magnets as its Rotor, so why would you need a Iron there?
        you need a rectriangle frame on which to wind your coils, the coils can be hand wound (no need for a jig) just that make arrangements to support this frame firmly to withstand the high-speed and torque produced.
        Rgds,
        Faraday88.
        'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Joseph View Post
          Hello Jeff
          There's been many different kinds of window motors built through the years. There have been some pretty good threads about them as well. I'm sorry to say I don't remember where they where to help you out with that. You will have some digging to do. I'll share a few of my experiences with you if it will help. There are pictures of a jig for winding coils. A rectangle coil is not the only coil to wind for a motor. If you are using three coils it is beneficial to use a wooden jig like is pictured in some of JB's literature. Again, I don't have instant reference to it but is is there. The issue of using an iron core or rotor is a mater of preference. I have used both iron and Delrin. I personally prefer a mild steel rotor. I do not use a hex shape and prefer to mill slots for the magnets. I'm not sure what you mean by a compound configuration but you should use six magnets with alternating poles outward on the faces. This is the best way to start but experimenting with what is known as a notch rotor also has some interesting results. Your windings can vary dramatically depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Higher turns ratios say in the 400 turns or more will give you a slower but stronger motor that is easy to trigger and has low current draw. Less turns say in the 200-300 turns area will give higher RPM's with less torque but higher current draw. The WM can run from an SSG, half wave, full wave or Single Coil Motor Circuit. In all cases you are not likely to have charging results that would be better than a monopole motor. I would suggest winding two triggers and one power coil or better yet add an additional power coil to experiment with a generator circuit. If you haven't been there yet, you are welcome to visit my channel where I have some videos of a small and very efficient motors. The first one shows how I constructed mine. Here are a few links:
          Window Motor Assembly And Capacitor Test - YouTube
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVtGxSYdhU
          Window Motor On Water Battery & Solar + (Notch Rotor) - YouTube
          There is other videos that pertain to the window motors there as well. I hope something here might be of some use to you since you are just starting to learn about these fun motors. I will be posting some other videos soon with a different style motors running from a circuit that doesn't require a standard trigger source so you may want to check back later as well.
          Take care.
          John Hav

Comment

Originally posted by DadHav View Post
            Hello Jeff
            There's been many different kinds of window motors built through the years. There have been some pretty good threads about them as well. I'm sorry to say I don't remember where they where to help you out with that. You will have some digging to do. I'll share a few of my experiences with you if it will help. There are pictures of a jig for winding coils. A rectangle coil is not the only coil to wind for a motor. If you are using three coils it is beneficial to use a wooden jig like is pictured in some of JB's literature. Again, I don't have instant reference to it but is is there. The issue of using an iron core or rotor is a mater of preference. I have used both iron and Delrin. I personally prefer a mild steel rotor. I do not use a hex shape and prefer to mill slots for the magnets. I'm not sure what you mean by a compound configuration but you should use six magnets with alternating poles outward on the faces. This is the best way to start but experimenting with what is known as a notch rotor also has some interesting results. Your windings can vary dramatically depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Higher turns ratios say in the 400 turns or more will give you a slower but stronger motor that is easy to trigger and has low current draw. Less turns say in the 200-300 turns area will give higher RPM's with less torque but higher current draw. The WM can run from an SSG, half wave, full wave or Single Coil Motor Circuit. In all cases you are not likely to have charging results that would be better than a monopole motor. I would suggest winding two triggers and one power coil or better yet add an additional power coil to experiment with a generator circuit. If you haven't been there yet, you are welcome to visit my channel where I have some videos of a small and very efficient motors. The first one shows how I constructed mine. Here are a few links:
            Window Motor Assembly And Capacitor Test - YouTube
            Window Motor Running On Capacitors - YouTube
            Window Motor On Water Battery & Solar + (Notch Rotor) - YouTube
            There is other videos that pertain to the window motors there as well. I hope something here might be of some use to you since you are just starting to learn about these fun motors. I will be posting some other videos soon with a different style motors running from a circuit that doesn't require a standard trigger source so you may want to check back later as well.
            Take care.
            John Hav
            Hi John,
            I watched each one of those again - what's wrong with me, I have work to do! :-)
            what a teaser - non standard trigger - Cap/resistor combo?
            Radiator fan, you must be working on a drone...
            Take care,
            Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by min2oly View Post
              Hi John,
              I watched each one of those again - what's wrong with me, I have work to do! :-)
              what a teaser - non standard trigger - Cap/resistor combo?
              Radiator fan, you must be working on a drone...
              Take care,
              Patrick
              Hello Patrick.
              We haven't talked since I provoked the wrath of the UFO Platoon. I've been working on several small circuits that might be a slightly different approach to achieving Under Unity. LOL. I haven't been posting the video because I think my viewers are getting tired of the same old stuff. Never the less there might be something that someone could elaborate on and turn it into something useful. One thing that was very surprising was the circuit can run an unmodified three phase motor and do a fair job of charging. I think the effect is a little more like a Buck Boost converter and the charge might be more appropriate for a cap dump circuit, but anyway I want to make sure I have some diagrams and a few decent experiments before I post the video.
              Take care Patrick
              John
              PS. I don't think there's anything wrong with you Patrick. You've been one of the hardest workers I've run into in this quest.

Comment

Dude, let me know how the rotor magnets, if we leave all negative pointing to the coils, or interspersed n, p, n, p, n, p.
                debanado also know whether the coil is bifilar or just with a single copper wire.

Comment

For everyone,Thanks for the interest and posts of your work. hex stock being milled for mag placement. I would like to use three coils six mags and hall effect to trigger. Next hurricane when the lights go out would like to keep the frig on and have a light on.
                  I reviewed DAV/HAV videos thank you for sharing. I like the UFO motor. what would it be like one window motor and one window generator or do you have to have the brushes for the effect?
                  I'll get some pics and post as the build goes on. thanks again for all the help Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeffrey, 2.5 Year Update? Let's see what you made please?
                    Thanks

Comment

im looking to build one of these too, but lack of information on the net is making it difficult to understand

Comment

confusing design
                        Last edited by grounded; 02-09-2015, 07:54 PM.

Comment

and the windings... i thought the ' bi ' in the word bifilar, meant 2, so assumed it was 2 wires twisted.

my understanding of electronics is pretty limited.
                          Last edited by grounded; 02-09-2015, 07:56 PM.

Comment

is there something against having the coils close to the rotor in a window motor. Most other generators or motors the gaps between the coil and stator are a large factor in what you get out but i have seen window motors with inches between the magnets and the coils....why?

Comment

I am setting up for a build...don't have as much handy as I would like but i think i can make something happen. I have 2 (1x1 with1/4 inch hole) cylinder neos...the idea i am shooting for is a high speed low draw motor to run low drag generator tests with. I want to have the two neos (which are diametrically magnetized so 2 pole motor) attached to a common shaft one magnet being the rotor for the Window motor one for a generator (probably opposite a flywheel). I have 24 and 26 wire on hand so i may need to use an external trigger instead of two different sized wires, think mine are to closely sized to work correctly that way. I do have a few old motors laying around that I could pull larger wire from though but nothing to measure the gauge. So does anyone have tips for my setup...anything that is not the normal knowledge on window motors because i have done a good bit of research. Just trying to bypass some hurdles people have already jumped without having to rewind hundreds of coils radiant energy has put a vacuum on my wallet!

Comment

Working...
                              X