Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lester View Post
    Greetings all.

I would like to try and build a similar window motor as Mr. Bedini showed in his video.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1057[/ATTACH]
    I'm planning to drive this with an SSG circuit initially, upgrade to a Bedini-Cole driver once I get it spinning. Reed switches for triggering although I did notice that there were magnets in pairs for triggering in the video, perhaps to make a very wide trigger pulse?

Just air-core coils at the moment..... and still using the same curved magnets from 5 years ago. No super-poles this time although the single magnets' poles are facing each other so that will probably help somewhat.

Comments and warnings appreciated. =)

Regards,
    Lester
    Lester tht looks like an a field motor, not a window motor. a WM is a rotor that is surrounded by a rectangular coil that creates a "window" shape around the rotor rectangular, square, or otherwise. it is also driven by a specific circuit, the bedini cole half or full bipolar circuit.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out Tom. I'm still getting used to the terms used here since I can't find it's meaning anywhere. I did make several window motors before but the performance was disappointing and it is only recently that I understood why, and that's reason I'm building again. A-field it is! No more ignition trigger coil this time, reeds should do the trick.

As far as I understand now and please correct me if I'm wrong, the A-field is the rotating magnetic field surrounding a single wire and if the wires are bundled together (multi-filar & multiple turns in a coil) such that the current is flowing in the same direction in all the wires, the field in a single wire repels the other adjacent fields in the other wires and as such it forms one, big, rotating A-field. Since this field has a very very short duration, the act of pulsing the coils causes several of these A-fields to form around the wire, one for each pulse, in succession, and for as long as the magnet is in close proximity to the coil it will be repelled (or attracted) to the coil. So the longer the length of the coil, the more pulses you can put into it before the magnet goes out of range, resulting in more torque. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks again Tom!
      Last edited by Lester; 11-08-2012, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Lester,yes this is correct.

Tom C (from John K's PC)

Comment

Originally posted by Thanos View Post
          I just saw this video and i noticed something strange.
          The leads of the portable multimeter near the circuit are connected to the VOLT measurement inputs. The setting switch is set on VOLT measurement and the screen displays the value in VOLTS.
          Why are you stating that you measure miliamps and not volts with this configuration?
          With regards,

Thanos
          Hi,

The multimeter indeed shows voltage in the VOLT measurement inputs BUT it shows the voltage drop across the big heat sinked shunt resistor (placed to right side of the circuit) so the bottom line is you can see "current" draw of the circuit. If you watch the video in HD, see to it at 2:18 for the range switch setting. Hope this helps understanding.

Gyula

Comment

RC Groups - View Single Post - How do you measure AMPS with a multimeter?
            You can use a shunt resistor to measure current using a common voltmeter.

As Ohm's law states:

I = V/R

Where:

I = Current
            V = Voltage
            R = Resistance

To implement the formula, simply put a low-value resistor in series with the power or ground connection to the ESC, then measure the voltage difference between each lead of the resistor. The difference can be plugged into the formula to yield a current.

For example, a .05 ohm shunt resistor reads "0.17V" across the two terminals. We simply replace the variables with our known values and solve the equation

1: I = 0.17/.05

2: I = 3.4A

When using this though, take care that the shunt resistor is of the lowest possible value to minimize voltage losses, and by minimizing voltage losses, you are also minimizing power dissipation, as:

W = VI

Therefore:

W = I x I x R

Using this formula we can calculate power dissipation of the given resistor. Suppose the conditions of the above example, 3.4A and 0.05 ohms.

1: W = 3.4 x 3.4 x 0.05

2: W = .578W

Keep in mind that the resistor power rating of your shunt must be a higher number than your calculated dissipation at max continuous current draw you plan to measure.

Hope this helps, it will allow you to easily measure current using just a DC voltmeter.

-Matt

This will help anyone like myself that keeps blowing multimeter's :-)

Comment

Has there been any more developed about this zero force motor. After seeing this the other day, I'm very interested about the wiring and electronic schematics. Is there anyone who can give me more info please.

Thank You,

Jack

Comment

hi john am here for the first time on a forum i need some info am building a window but i need to know how many turns on the drive wire can i go without trigger wire only hall? can i use core

Comment

Asymmetrical No BEMF Motor

Hello,

A few pics of my new 100% Orthogonal (A-Field) motor. It generates a very interesting waveform when spinning in one direction, the wave inverts when you spin it in the opposite direction....maximum BEMF in one direction...less to no BEMF in the opposite direction....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uh8v8wfhOk

Regards
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by erfinder; 06-25-2013, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Hi Erfinder,

Interesting video and nice build! Your comments about bemf being somewhat "directional" are also interesting. What is the orientation of your magnets - are they all facing in the same direction?

Cheers,

Luther

Comment

can somebody sorry for me and show me the hall sensor circuit please

Comment

Hi All,

In the video - "Bedini Cole 1971 to 1984 built from lab notes", at 1:45 or so John says "The control box is right here", and the camera shows 8, TO-264 size devices.

I want to redo my multicoil WM with 3 coils. It has a 7.5"D by 3"L rotor with large neo's stacked in like pole opposition with a large gap between the poles. The 1.5" x 1.5" x 3" mags are restrained with fiberglass mat and epoxy.

Is an explaination of the control box in the vid available or some direction. 3 coils and
                        enough devices for 2 bipolar switches??

Double trannys in parallel?

2 ccts in parallel but alternating between switching 3 times per rev?

I would greatly appreciate some insight with this.

In the past I've built a 6 (on the outside) coil motor and each coil was triggered by it's own bipolar cct, all in parallel with one pair of trigger windings.

This control box appears different in addition to the halls.

Thanks for any help,

bro d
                        Last edited by brodonh; 09-06-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brodonh View Post
                          hi all,

in the video - "bedini cole 1971 to 1984 built from lab notes", at 1:45 or so john says "the control box is right here", and the camera shows 8, to-264 size devices.

I want to redo my multicoil wm with 3 coils. It has a 6"d by 4"l rotor with large neo's stacked in like pole opposition with a large gap between the poles. The neo's make the rotor 8.5" d. The mags are restrained with fiberglass mat and epoxy.

Is an explaination of the control box in the vid available or some direction. 3 coils and
                          enough devices for 2 bipolar switches??

Double trannys in parallel?

2 ccts in parallel but alternating between switching 3 times per rev?

I would greatly appreciate some insight with this.

In the past i've built a 6 (on the outside) coil motor and each coil was triggered by it's own bipolar cct, all in parallel with one pair of trigger windings.

This control box appears different in addition to the halls.

Thanks for any help,

bro d
                          anybody home?

Comment

Don, I have no idea what was in the control box other than it was full bipolar hall switched, so no trigger winding. Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Thanks Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                                Don, I have no idea what was in the control box other than it was full bipolar hall switched, so no trigger winding. Tom C
                                Observations on the vid:

1 B to E resistor for each 2 mjl transistors.
                                Indicates one full B/C cct and double mjl's.

3 strand (AWG22?) windings on each coil.
                                The 3 strands are functioning as one wire.

All three leads from each hall device go to the location of the small switching tranny.

Hall's orientated horizontally.

Working on a WM with large neo's and planning to drive an axial fulx alternator at about 400rpm. Type 2 rotor, huge windings.

2 stage discharge from AF alt.

Comment

Working...
                                X