Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG Oscillator Questions

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
    bluestix, that is why you should try the self-oscillator circuit. Study this patent, figure 4 is the circuit I'm talking about:

Patent US7990110 - Circuits and related methods for charging a battery - Google Patents

you can then adjust the main base resistor for different sized batteries. If you get real clever with the chip you could switch different resistors in and out.

To monitor the battery voltage you will need to learn how to use the ADC inputs on the PIC.

John K.

Hi John K.,

I have examined the patent and looked at the Fig 4 schematic. What are the component values? Where is the coil that was show in a video Bedini posted in the SG Oscillator thread?

I want to use the SG oscillator to charge the Lead Alum batteries.

Sincerely,

//teej_seeker

Originally posted by teej_seeker View Post
    Hi John K.,

I have examined the patent and looked at the Fig 4 schematic. What are the component values? Where is the coil that was show in a video Bedini posted in the SG Oscillator thread?

I want to use the SG oscillator to charge the Lead Alum batteries.

Sincerely,

//teej_seeker
    t_s, from memory the component values are in the text of the patent.

John K.

Comment

t_s, from memory the component values are in the text of the patent.

John K.
      John K,

I just checked the patent. the component values are not there. :-)

Comment

t_s, sorry about that, must've been another patent. The base-collector is 18K and the base-emitter is 10K. The base resistor - 2K will get you in the ball park but you use this to tune the oscillator.

These are really questions that should be in the SG Radiant Oscillator thread.

John K.

Comment

t_s, sorry about that, must've been another patent. The base-collector is 18K and the base-emitter is 10K. The base resistor - 2K will get you in the ball park but you use this to tune the oscillator.

These are really questions that should be in the SG Radiant Oscillator thread.

John K.

Hi John K.

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for moving my query to the correct thread. How are the coils wound? If i am correct, it is 40ft of 21 AWG with 7 conductors including 1 for trigger. Am i correct?

sincerely,

teej_seeker.

Comment

teej,

What are you going to charge with it?

John K.

Comment

teej,

What are you going to charge with it?

John K.

John,

For now, a 12V 7AH battery. Eventually, I will need a bench power supply.

Teej_Seeker

Comment

John K,

Referring to Fig 4 of the Bedini patent, am i correct in stating that the base resistor is #76, the base-emitter resistor is #74 and the base-collector resistor is #78?

teej_seeker

Comment

teej, the base resistor is #78, the base-emitter #74 and the base-collector is #76.

I would start off with a bifilar coil of 125' of #19 for the trigger and #18 for the power winding. Get it running and study it first before moving into larger setups.

John K.

Comment

teej, the base resistor is #78, the base-emitter #74 and the base-collector is #76.

I would start off with a bifilar coil of 125' of #19 for the trigger and #18 for the power winding. Get it running and study it first before moving into larger setups.

John K.
                    John,

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Hy, John, how about using/combining 0,7mm+0,4 mm wires instead of a single 1 mm wires ? It has to be a single, thicker wire, or the thickness of the wire could be obtained from 2 or more wires in parallel? I have a test coil, with 4x0,4 mm and 2x0,7 mm wires, and I want to know if it's better to focus on thicker wire or to use whatever I have around me, as long as has the same thickness.

Comment

Axxelxavier, you can use whatever you have on hand. It depends on the load you want to run. The wire gauge is something that you should all be experimenting with. Try different sizes and see what happens, series them , parallel them, see what happens.

The size I gave teej will charge a 7ah battery in a reasonable amount of time pretty efficiently.

John K.

Comment

John, thank you for your informations.
                          What do you mean with "reasonable amount of time"? Or, better, which it's the best time you had achieved with a SS oscillator charging a 7 amp VRLA, and at what current draw from the primary source?

Comment

Originally posted by axxelxavier View Post
                            John, thank you for your informations.
                            What do you mean with "reasonable amount of time"? Or, better, which it's the best time you had achieved with a SS oscillator charging a 7 amp VRLA, and at what current draw from the primary source?
                            Hi Axxel,

I will be attempting to build the circuit this weekend and will record data. Once I have a done a few charge and discharge cycles, I shall share the data. I have sourced the coil supplier and now am looking at building a load.

Cheers,

teej_seeker

Comment

I have been experimenting with figure No. 4 in the Patent. I am using the component values specified by John, previously in this post.

The transistor is an MJL15024. The coil is 45' 21/23 awg. With a 12.0 V constant potential source I am pulling about 500 mA. I am charging a 12V 5Ah gel cell. The transistor gets a bit hot, is this to be expected? I have added a heat sink and it seems to dissipate the heat. I don't want to damage the device.

I noticed in a JB video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFdYK7sU5hs where john uses two transistors he states that there is no heat , when they are balanced.

Thank you,

Ray
                              Last edited by rmarquette; 05-19-2013, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X