Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I purchased a dry motorcycle battery 4Ah, mixed a slippery solution (Alum purchased from spice store on recommendation from Tom C), added 1.5 to 2.00 ml sulfuric acid charged it up. I tested the battery with PH strips and it had a PH of 1, the Alum solution I had left over had a PH of 2. Distilled water has a PH of 7. How do you balance the battery? You must add some other chemical. The chemicals in message #358 I took to mean were for the dry cells not car/motorcycle batteries. Also has anyone figured the ratio of Alum to water besides a slippery feeling. I watched a video yesterday and John K gave a ratio of one gallon water to 2 cups Alum (8:1 ratio) I know each battery is going to be a little different but there must be a starting point. I have read all posts on this thread but I might have missed something.
    Thanks, Linnie

Comment

• Hi Linnie-

I am curious about this as well. I'm sure you read through some of my posts in this thread where I inquired about the same thing (adjusting the PH). I eventually gave up...no one seemed to have an answer. There definitely needs to be a standard mix nailed down here, beyond "slippery", and a way to bring the PH back up.

Originally posted by lcstier View Post
      I purchased a dry motorcycle battery 4Ah, mixed a slippery solution (Alum purchased from spice store on recommendation from Tom C), added 1.5 to 2.00 ml sulfuric acid charged it up. I tested the battery with PH strips and it had a PH of 1, the Alum solution I had left over had a PH of 2. Distilled water has a PH of 7. How do you balance the battery? You must add some other chemical. The chemicals in message #358 I took to mean were for the dry cells not car/motorcycle batteries. Also has anyone figured the ratio of Alum to water besides a slippery feeling. I watched a video yesterday and John K gave a ratio of one gallon water to 2 cups Alum (8:1 ratio) I know each battery is going to be a little different but there must be a starting point. I have read all posts on this thread but I might have missed something.
      Thanks, Linnie

Comment

• Branch,
        I discharged the above battery with 4 LED's wit a rating of 88 mA total @ 12 volts. It discharged it for 23.5 hours to 6.95 volts and stopped (LED's still lit). I do not know if this is good or bad. I plan on buying another battery next week and make a mix of 8:1 plus some sulfuric acid (1 to 2ml per cell), that way I can see how the two batteries differ. I will let you know how it does and also what the PH is based on the 8:1 mix.

Comment

• Linnie
          Go back and look at post #356 That formula may be helpful for what you are wanting to do. Good luck
          Brian

I purchased a dry motorcycle battery 4Ah, mixed a slippery solution (Alum purchased from spice store on recommendation from Tom C), added 1.5 to 2.00 ml sulfuric acid charged it up. I tested the battery with PH strips and it had a PH of 1, the Alum solution I had left over had a PH of 2. Distilled water has a PH of 7. How do you balance the battery? You must add some other chemical. The chemicals in message #358 I took to mean were for the dry cells not car/motorcycle batteries. Also has anyone figured the ratio of Alum to water besides a slippery feeling. I watched a video yesterday and John K gave a ratio of one gallon water to 2 cups Alum (8:1 ratio) I know each battery is going to be a little different but there must be a starting point. I have read all posts on this thread but I might have missed something.
          Thanks, Linnie

Comment

• I think Linnie is trying to make a straight alum battery, as I was when I started. In the original video that John posted on the subject, he made an alum mix, put it in a dry battery with zero acid, and formed it and started using it. There were no other chemicals involved. Somewhere through this thread the hydrate 9/5 and sodium silicate, and SO4 were suggested to be added, however I was always interested in the mix John used originally for the straight alum battery.

Originally posted by Brian McNece View Post
            Linnie
            Go back and look at post #356 That formula may be helpful for what you are wanting to do. Good luck
            Brian

Comment

• Brian: Thanks for the info, I may have missed that reply due to multi-tasking or maybe I just didn't remember it (I am getting a little old 62). Either way I'll order the chemicals Branch posted in reply #358 and try again with a new battery. I want to get things figured out before a buy big batteries.

Branch: I wasn't trying to build a straight Alum battery but that's what I got....and it does work to some degree, even if it's not right. I will be buying a CBA soon so I have better data.
              Building a small ssg and the alum battery has been fun. Thanks to all for putting up with me.
              Linnie

Comment

• Oh ok my bad. Yeah that CBA REALLY helps with everything. My alum battery worked as well...but I struggled with the PH thing too. I ran out of money that month to buy the other chemicals plus another battery...and then I started focusing on my SG.

Let me know how it works out with the chemical mix that John posted. I will replicate if you get it nailed down...I'm planning on revisiting it after the holidays.

Cheers!

Branch: I wasn't trying to build a straight Alum battery but that's what I got....and it does work to some degree, even if it's not right. I will be buying a CBA soon so I have better data.
                Building a small ssg and the alum battery has been fun. Thanks to all for putting up with me.
                Linnie

Comment

• Branch, just got an email from Sigma-Aldrich that my order for the Sodium metasilicate pentahydrate had been canceled due to intended use and/or I’m not a LAB. I will try to call and get info on this order. This product is considered a hazard chemical. The shipping and hazard fee was going to be more than the product. Does anyone know of a different hydrate to replace this one. Also should any special precautions be made mixing the 4 chemicals in message #358 outside the normal eye protection and gloves. I really don’t want to mess around with dangerous chemicals that take SPECIAL handling since I’m not a Chemist. I order some chemicals for my business that I pay a hazard fee, the only way those chemicals are hazard would be if you drink them. Oh well will wait and see.
                  Linnie

Comment

• Well that sucks. I wish I could help...I'm no chemist either. Hopefully one of the admins can chime in with a suggestion. I wonder what it takes to be qualified as a lab...that might be an option.

Thanks for the info!

Branch, just got an email from Sigma-Aldrich that my order for the Sodium metasilicate pentahydrate had been canceled due to intended use and/or I’m not a LAB. I will try to call and get info on this order. This product is considered a hazard chemical. The shipping and hazard fee was going to be more than the product. Does anyone know of a different hydrate to replace this one. Also should any special precautions be made mixing the 4 chemicals in message #358 outside the normal eye protection and gloves. I really don’t want to mess around with dangerous chemicals that take SPECIAL handling since I’m not a Chemist. I order some chemicals for my business that I pay a hazard fee, the only way those chemicals are hazard would be if you drink them. Oh well will wait and see.
                    Linnie

Comment

• Branch,
                      I got the Soldum metasilaicate pentahydrate ordered from the same place as the Sodium silicate, grade 40 and it was a lot cheaper with no hazard fee....we'll see if I get it.
                      I guess the material from Sigma-Aldrich might have been lab grade, it was 95 percent pure. Never got a call to why it was cancelled. Still waiting to hear from someone with a chemistry background so I don't mix something up that can hurt me or others.
                      Linnie
                      Last edited by lcstier; 10-30-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Nice! Thanks for the info!

Branch,
                        I got the Soldum metasilaicate pentahydrate ordered from the same place as the Sodium silicate, grade 40 and it was a lot cheaper with no hazard fee....we'll see if I get it.
                        I guess the material from Sigma-Aldrich might have been lab grade, it was 95 percent pure. Never got a call to why it was cancelled. Still waiting to hear from someone with a chemistry background so I don't mix something up that can hurt me or others.
                        Linnie

Comment

• Branch,
                          I now have the 4 chemicals to make a new battery.......still waiting to see if anyone chimes in on the possible hazard
                          of mixing the 4 chemicals. One of my customers is a chemist and I'll ask her about the mix next time she comes in.
                          Linnie

Comment

• Ok I see gotcha. I'm just gonna perfect my alum battery then...once I'm happy with my SG results.

Originally posted by Tom C
                            guys the chemical mix is for a pasted style lead cell, you cant just pour it into a battery.... see his video how he made it, he melted lead and formed it in molds. an alum battery is just alum and water.

Tom C

Comment

• Err wait...can we doublecheck that? I'm looking back thru this thread at post # 356....and John B said the following to me:

"Do the Alum water first....
                              So about 3 cups of water 1/2 Cup of Sodium Silicate 1/8 cup SO4 One cup of Alum
                              One Table spoon of Hydrate 9/5 do not let it gel up unless you want to do something else. keep mixing then just let it sit and draw the liquid out for the battery."

So he is saying to NOT let it gel up, and to draw it out to put it in a battery.

Can you confirm?

Comment

• so that would be right then branch I have only done batteries with straight alum, the one I tried with the mixture gelled up after I put it together in my blender... so there is something I did wrong. the one I got to keep working was a pure alum one.....

Sorry,

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Working...
                                X