Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branch & all,OK, according to Google (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=w...&client=safari) the pH of "battery acid" is 1. Branch, did you shake up your battery when you added the SO4 or are you measuring the pH of the acid sitting on top? Sorry if you already answered this.

John K.

P.S. I'll do a quick video of my meter

Comment

• Chargin 008

HI all,
      Here is my charging graph.
      It's late , good night.

L O V E Ralph

Comment

• Hey John-

Yes, I shook up the battery. I had ran the battery through I think 5 charge/discharge cycles before I checked the PH also.

My tester probe won't fit into the battery lid holes, so I had to extract some fluid out with a syringe. I am not extracting from deep in the cell though...just from the top.

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
        Branch & all,OK, according to Google (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=w...&client=safari) the pH of "battery acid" is 1. Branch, did you shake up your battery when you added the SO4 or are you measuring the pH of the acid sitting on top? Sorry if you already answered this.

John K.

P.S. I'll do a quick video of my meter

Comment

• Branch we just got a Hanna ph meter and it does not work. I would suggest strips or a different brand of meter.

Chuck Hupp

Comment

• macmaster carr has sodiom silicate and ph strips 0 to 13

McMaster-Carr
            McMaster-Carr

Tom C
            Last edited by Tom C; 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM. Reason: Bad info

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

• Strips ordered. Thanks for checking.

I fear I am gonna have to start over with this battery...

Originally posted by Chuck Hupp View Post
              Branch we just got a Hanna ph meter and it does not work. I would suggest strips or a different brand of meter.

Chuck Hupp

Comment

• Good prices! Thanks Tom!

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                macmaster carr has alum and sodiom silicate and ph strips 0 to 13

McMaster-Carr
                McMaster-Carr
                McMaster-Carr

Tom C

Comment

• Be mindful this is aluminum sulfate...

Comment

• Ahh yes true. Wrong chemical. Needs to be aluminum ammonium sulfate Tom.

Comment

• So if I decide to start over with this battery...is it ok or even advisable to dump the mix out, and re-add just the alum mix? I seemed to have a decent curve at first...but since I capped it off with the extra water it's not so great anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                        Ahh yes true. Wrong chemical. Needs to be aluminum ammonium sulfate Tom.
                        well the guy at mcmaster told me this was the right stuff, so I will call them back and make sure................. oh he said sorry wrong one!! fixed previous post. thanks bry!

Tom C
                        Last edited by Tom C; 10-12-2012, 03:16 PM.

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

• That's the Big problem:
                          I went to green house and got "Aluminum Sulphate", aluminum 17% sulphur 16% neutralizing value 36%
                          mixed 30% volume with distilled water, coffee filter to rinsed ports.
                          And its working, sort of.
                          Did I get the wrong stuff too?

Comment

• Originally posted by machinationus View Post
                            That's the Big problem:
                            I went to green house and got "Aluminum Sulphate", aluminum 17% sulphur 16% neutralizing value 36%
                            mixed 30% volume with distilled water, coffee filter to rinsed ports.
                            And its working, sort of.
                            Did I get the wrong stuff too?
                            Howdy,
                            The full chemical name is Ammonium aluminium sulfate.
                            I got a couple pounds off ebay, but rereading the posts, someone posted a link at much better pricing.
                            Here is the link
                            Alum Powder — Leaveners & Thickeners — Cooking & Baking — Nuts.com
                            Hope that helps..
                            Im still waiting for a couple of chems to arrive til i get to play.
                            Until then i am rereading and and rewatching Mr. Bendidni's Videos.... I am so far behind, but im willing to learn.
                            Thank you John and Chuck.

I do have a question..Due to high shipping to alaska the only cost effective way for me to get sodium silicate, was in powder form.
                            To get it to state to which John is using,that would be wieght to distilled water, yes?
                            I do not think its by volume....

Comment

• Got mine from here:

Alum Powder - Used for Pickling, baking and as a preservative - My Spice Sage

It works for me.

Comment

• John B, have you thought / what would be the negative impact / of a referance anode or cathode for a small circuit for continous impedance matching? or for a ratio of on and the reverse to "de-surface" (i like the word degauss) or is that the purpose of the run and charge battery? Hopefully these questions are not to rudimentary. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X