X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plengo
    replied
    I noticed today an interesting effect. Bedini has shown that in his videos but nothing like you doing yourself and finding it out too.

I have this cell that has been pretty much crystallized even though it was inside a cup with a substantial liquid inside, lots of particles of the Alum mix settled at the bottom of the cup while transparent water filled the cup. This is the cell in one of my videos running long tests or charge and discharge.

I added to this first cell another one so that I could run a better experiment with two cells together. I am running them in series and the new cell has not been formed. I wanted to see the relationship that would develop and if the internal dynamic resistance of the cell would play a beneficial part in the performance during, again, the same kind of load tests I already have done.

Performance was horrible. For the very next test, I removed them both from the cups and located them at a clean cup, both there. No liquids around the cells anymore.

New performance is excellent. Older cell melted all its crystal and formed a little pool inside the new cup. New cell is very wet too and no visible crystals yet.

Fausto.

Leave a comment:

• Branch Gordon
    replied
    That's great John...I think that will really help. My PH strips arrived today...will be taking a reading shortly.

I accidentally reverse charged my alum battery all day with the RC-2A12. It's standing at negative 11.83 right now haha. Oops! Very hot.

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
    Later I will be posting a video that I think will help in how I chose the PH for the cells. I used Alum Sodium Carbonate and SO4 to change the PH of the cells The Mix Must be done in a separate container because of the reaction. I will be showing the colors from the strips. The Video will take a long time and may do it tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• John_Bedini
    replied
    Later I will be posting a video that I think will help in how I chose the PH for the cells. I used Alum Sodium Carbonate and SO4 to change the PH of the cells The Mix Must be done in a separate container because of the reaction. I will be showing the colors from the strips. The Video will take a long time and may do it tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• HeavensPavement
    replied
    Originally posted by Wei View Post
    Howdy,
    From Johns video he shows what chemicals he used.
    The Hydrate 5 from the video was called : Sodium Metasilicate Pentahydrate
    I rewatched that part of the Video, he is using tech grade, i got mine on ebay and purity not mentioned...going to contact seller...rats thought i was more though than that..

Leave a comment:

• Brian McNece
    replied
    I got the ammonium alum and it works well. I actually ask the lady on the phone what the makeup is and she said it is ammonium aluminum sulfate
    Originally posted by machinationus View Post
    They have Aluminum Sulfate and Ammonium Alum which is the right one? They don't show the ingredients, but price is right.

Ammonium Alum is what we want?

Leave a comment:

• machinationus
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian McNece View Post
    Here is a link to a company that sells the right stuff
    Taxidermy Supplies - Jonas Supply the leader in taxidermy supplies.
    They have Aluminum Sulfate and Ammonium Alum which is the right one? They don't show the ingredients, but price is right.

Ammonium Alum is what we want?
    Last edited by machinationus; 10-14-2012, 05:21 PM. Reason: add

Leave a comment:

• Wei
    replied
    Is this the hydrate 5?
    Copper (II) Sulfate 5-Hydrate | WARD'S Natural Science

Leave a comment:

• Brian McNece
    replied
    Here is a link to a company that sells the right stuff
    Taxidermy Supplies - Jonas Supply the leader in taxidermy supplies.

Yes u right the links show both:
    Alum Powder - Used for Pickling, baking and as a preservative - My Spice Sage ("Alum Baking Powder
    ") also termed KAl(SO4)2.12H2O
    and Alum Powder — Leaveners & Thickeners — Cooking & Baking — Nuts.com ("aluminum sulfate")
    and add this to the mix: Alum - What Is Alum? - Alum Facts
    But the link misses important info the Alum is also used to lower soil pH.

The Straight Dope: What is alum, and will it make someone's mouth shrink, like in the cartoons?
    says it is "Cake alum, pickle alum, filter alum, papermaker's alum and pearl alum are other common names of aluminum sulfate,"

So you see the more you read the less you know in this case. I think "Aluminum Sulfate or Sulphate" is the right stuff, seems no one has the "Ammonium aluminium sulfate", maybe they are all the same! at least they look alike.

Leave a comment:

• machinationus
    replied
    Unsolved types

Originally posted by bxcyted View Post
    I think most spice suppliers are offering Aluminum potassium sulfate (KAl(SO4)2·12H2O), a different type of Alum than Ammonium aluminium sulfate (NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O) which is what we want to use right? I want to make sure I'm getting the right type of Alum for a lead alum battery.
    Yes u right the links show both:
    Alum Powder - Used for Pickling, baking and as a preservative - My Spice Sage ("Alum Baking Powder
    ") also termed KAl(SO4)2.12H2O
    and Alum Powder — Leaveners & Thickeners — Cooking & Baking — Nuts.com ("aluminum sulfate")
    and add this to the mix: Alum - What Is Alum? - Alum Facts
    But the link misses important info the Alum is also used to lower soil pH.

The Straight Dope: What is alum, and will it make someone's mouth shrink, like in the cartoons?
    says it is "Cake alum, pickle alum, filter alum, papermaker's alum and pearl alum are other common names of aluminum sulfate,"

So you see the more you read the less you know in this case. I think "Aluminum Sulfate or Sulphate" is the right stuff, seems no one has the "Ammonium aluminium sulfate", maybe they are all the same! at least they look alike.

Leave a comment:

• bxcyted
    replied
    I think most spice suppliers are offering Aluminum potassium sulfate (KAl(SO4)2·12H2O), a different type of Alum than Ammonium aluminium sulfate (NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O) which is what we want to use right? I want to make sure I'm getting the right type of Alum for a lead alum battery.

Leave a comment:

• Tom C
    replied
    Originally posted by Wei View Post
    ordered mine today from spice sage. now to find the 9 or 5 hydrate, it is expensive!

Tom C

Leave a comment:

• nickle989
    replied
    John B, have you thought / what would be the negative impact / of a referance anode or cathode for a small circuit for continous impedance matching? or for a ratio of on and the reverse to "de-surface" (i like the word degauss) or is that the purpose of the run and charge battery? Hopefully these questions are not to rudimentary. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Wei
    replied
    Got mine from here:

Alum Powder - Used for Pickling, baking and as a preservative - My Spice Sage

It works for me.

Leave a comment:

• HeavensPavement
    replied
    That's the Big problem:
    I went to green house and got "Aluminum Sulphate", aluminum 17% sulphur 16% neutralizing value 36%
    mixed 30% volume with distilled water, coffee filter to rinsed ports.
    And its working, sort of.
    Did I get the wrong stuff too?
    Howdy,
    The full chemical name is Ammonium aluminium sulfate.
    I got a couple pounds off ebay, but rereading the posts, someone posted a link at much better pricing.
    Here is the link
    Alum Powder — Leaveners & Thickeners — Cooking & Baking — Nuts.com
    Hope that helps..
    Im still waiting for a couple of chems to arrive til i get to play.
    Until then i am rereading and and rewatching Mr. Bendidni's Videos.... I am so far behind, but im willing to learn.
    Thank you John and Chuck.

I do have a question..Due to high shipping to alaska the only cost effective way for me to get sodium silicate, was in powder form.
    To get it to state to which John is using,that would be wieght to distilled water, yes?
    I do not think its by volume....

Leave a comment:

• machinationus
    replied
    That's the Big problem:
    I went to green house and got "Aluminum Sulphate", aluminum 17% sulphur 16% neutralizing value 36%
    mixed 30% volume with distilled water, coffee filter to rinsed ports.
    And its working, sort of.
    Did I get the wrong stuff too?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X