This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Beale,
    Jaycar is expensive for transistors. The cheapest I've found in Australia is futurlec. They are expecting a shipment in the next 2-4 weeks. Mine is on back order at $3.50 a MJL21194 transistor plus postage. 20 cost me $4.25 each all up last time.
    In that batch I got 3 sets of 4 and 3 pairs after matching last time. Communication has not been great but they don't charge until they are sending the goods. An email is usually answered promptly.
    It beats $12 a transistor anyway.
    James

Comment

Originally posted by James Milner View Post
      Mr Beale,
      Jaycar is expensive for transistors. The cheapest I've found in Australia is futurlec. They are expecting a shipment in the next 2-4 weeks. Mine is on back order at $3.50 a MJL21194 transistor plus postage. 20 cost me $4.25 each all up last time.
      In that batch I got 3 sets of 4 and 3 pairs after matching last time. Communication has not been great but they don't charge until they are sending the goods. An email is usually answered promptly.
      It beats $12 a transistor anyway.
      James
      Hey James,

How many transistors do you want? I have a bunch in stock and I can match them too before sending. Send me a PM of you are interested.

John K.

Comment

Hi all!
        Well, I ordered Bedini sg handbook and studying it, buying components etc. I am beginner with electronic. In the book there isn't what kind or type of capacitor, switch and LED we should use and I am little confused. I need help with this and sorry if the question is ridicules and maybe makes no sense BTW sorry for my english, better understanding then writing or speaking.. xD Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by tedhile View Post
          Hi all!
          Well, I ordered Bedini sg handbook and studying it, buying components etc. I am beginner with electronic. In the book there isn't what kind or type of capacitor, switch and LED we should use and I am little confused. I need help with this and sorry if the question is ridicules and maybe makes no sense BTW sorry for my english, better understanding then writing or speaking.. xD Thanks!!
          please tell us which part of the circuit you are asking about... there is no switch, or capacitor or led in the SG circuit, there is a transistor, a neon bulb and a resistor and 2 diodes.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by sinergicus View Post
            Regarding coil core....is not clear for me why is used welding rods uncovered with lac (used in transformers to avoid edy currents) .The losses because of edy currents in the SSG core will not be manifested?
            That is a good point as the welding rods are shorted together since they are just copper coated steel. This has always worked fine.

You can always spray paint the rods with some clear enamel (or any kind of coating) spray paint if you wish to insulate them and test the difference. It won't hurt anything and you might just see a difference - just needs to be tested.
            Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
              please tell us which part of the circuit you are asking about... there is no switch, or capacitor or led in the SG circuit, there is a transistor, a neon bulb and a resistor and 2 diodes.

Tom C
              Chapter Four
              "Ok, let's get started. There are nine different electronic parts that have been used in the circuits discussed in the in the preceding chapters. They are:
              1. a Battery
              2. a Coil
              3. a Transistor
              4. a Resistor
              5. a Diode
              6. a Capacitor
              7. a LED
              8. a Neon light
              9. a Switch "

Capacitor is used to accumulate a multiple discharges of main coil (MC), when voltage in capacitor rises high enough he transfer electricity to battery 2 (B2).

For Capacitor and Switch there isn't what type we should use, other components are ok.

Thank you!

Comment

Chapter Four
                "Ok, let's get started. There are nine different electronic parts that have been used in the circuits discussed in the in the preceding chapters. They are:
                1. a Battery
                2. a Coil
                3. a Transistor
                4. a Resistor
                5. a Diode
                6. a Capacitor
                7. a LED
                8. a Neon light
                9. a Switch "

Capacitor is used to accumulate a multiple discharges of main coil (MC), when voltage in capacitor rises high enough he transfer electricity to battery 2 (B2).

For Capacitor and Switch there isn't what type we should use, other components are ok.

Thank you!
                This describes the "cap dump" part of the machine. as the book shows you can build it without the cap dump.

the switch is a rotary switch you build yourself.... like the picture, driven by a timing wheel and pulleys. the capacitor depends upon your dump voltage and frequency. start with a 35 volt 10000 MFD watch your voltage as it will climb quick.

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Thank you for your replay Tom C. Considering the fact that I can't easily find a ceramic magnets c8 5 in x 2 in x 1 in, because the magnet4less.com which is quoted in the book do not ships their products worldwide, can I use for example neodymium N35 4 in x 0.4 in x 0.2 in magnets for building the Bedini wheel? Also, is it important to use the wheel with quoted dimensions and number of magnets, can I use half sized wheel with half number of magnets? Instead of 20 inch wheel and 24 magnets to use 10 inch wheel and 12 magnets with the same specifications of other components (coil and circuit)??

Thanks immensely!!

Comment

Hello Aaron

Thank you for your reply.

I am building the small SG with the 9 volt battery just to see if I can make it run for 4 - 5 days on one battery as Shawnee did. This is pretty awesome itself. There are a lot of leaning for me in this small set up. Hopefully I can use this knowledge in the bigger models I will build latter on.
                    I have made some bigger models before, but it did not work, so I guess I need to learn more basic from this SGmodel.
                    It's all the small adjustment that makes the difference.

You say 23 awg is fairly to small. What is your recommendation ?

The small coil has 600 turns. Big coil has 520 turns.

The small coil the wire is wound clockwise the big one the wire is wound counter clockwise.

The transistor gets hot on the small coil - when I start the spin ?

The transistor on the big one gets cold the same does the core and the wire. I am not sure if the air circulation from the rotor can create the coldness or is it something else ?

The rotor is a rollerwheel with 4 magnet. North pole is facing out.

I made the coil adjustable so I can move it exactly to the rotor and the gap will be correct - as you mention.

When I start spinning the rotor is that clockwise or counter clockwise ?

When I start spinning the rotor - It can be a little sluggish in RPM after a while it starts to gain more speed. Actually I notice 2 or 3 step increase of speed until et reach a "maximum" momentum - maybe a kind of resonance. The scope show 200
                    Volt in peaks (spikes) the big coil. Small coil 175 Volt.

Do you have any idea how much the Volt spikes should be in this small SG model ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big, Small Coil.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	45174Click image for larger version

Name:	Component SG.jpg
ID:	45175Click image for larger version

Name:	SG running.jpg
ID:	45176Click image for larger version

Name:	Small coil.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	45177Click image for larger version

Name:	Track on SG.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	45178

Regarding using neos or ceramic
                    It seem like I can use neos instead of ceramic as far I understand from you observations.

YOUR QUOTE
                    "I have not seen evidence that neos would be bad in this case and may actually be of benefit since there is no bucking loss against them, the magnets being in alignment with the magnetic coil means the magnets will ALWAYS remain strong and will not weaken from being repulsed and when the magnet is leaving and the coil turns off, the collapsed field has a stronger permanent magnetic field to pull potential from"

I would be very happy if you could clarify the diagram you mention 10 years ago. If it is possible to increase mechanical work and reduce draw from the primary battery at the same time. I thing that it is a very important information along with the information about the direction of the coil.

ON PAGE 71 - BOTTOM

So, this is the basic operation of the "Repulsion Mode" for the machine etc....
                    (DO you mean the coil is wound clockwise direction ?? What Pole of the magnet is facing out) ??

"When everything was looked at again carefully, it was finally noticed that the machines that produced the best results all had the "counter-clockwise" coils. We decided to see if any of the experimenters would report the discovery from their own experiment, but no one did".

ON PAGE 72 - TOP

The attraction Mode of running

This method of running the machine is identical to the "repulsion Mode except that the Coil is wound in the opposite direction.
                    (DO you mean the coil is wound in "counter-clockwise" direction ?? as mention on page 71 - Bottom line) ??

So the circuit is the same and all the magnets on the wheel have their North Pole Facing out.

Thank you very much for your help

Regards Freepower

Comment

hello to everyone, i'm new in this forum but have tried to use a normal bicycle wheel for my ssg but could not sustain the motion and have also tried using a circular wall clock made of plastic with round magnets sourced from small radio speakers all to no avail, please could some one tell me what was wrong?

Comment

Thank you for your replay Tom C. Considering the fact that I can't easily find a ceramic magnets c8 5 in x 2 in x 1 in, because the magnet4less.com which is quoted in the book do not ships their products worldwide, can I use for example neodymium N35 4 in x 0.4 in x 0.2 in magnets for building the Bedini wheel? Also, is it important to use the wheel with quoted dimensions and number of magnets, can I use half sized wheel with half number of magnets? Instead of 20 inch wheel and 24 magnets to use 10 inch wheel and 12 magnets with the same specifications of other components (coil and circuit)??

Thanks immensely!!
                        Just use the ceramics. They're readily available.

Amazon.com: Ceramic Magnet 1 7/8" x 7/8" x 3/8" Rectangle, Package of 50 Ceramic 8 Hard Ferrite: Home Improvement That is $25 USD for 50 of them.

You can find plenty of the same ceramics here: Business & Industrial > Industrial Supply & MRO > Fasteners & Hardware > Magnets > Block | eBay You'll just have to see who ships to your area.

You could use a smaller wheel and half the magnets but you are reducing the mechanical work you can too. If you can find a bicycle wheel as indicated, please try to use that. The closer you can stick to the recommendation the better.
                        Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by Freepower View Post
                          You say 23 awg is fairly to small. What is your recommendation ?

The small coil has 600 turns. Big coil has 520 turns.

The small coil the wire is wound clockwise the big one the wire is wound counter clockwise.

The transistor gets hot on the small coil - when I start the spin ?

The transistor on the big one gets cold the same does the core and the wire. I am not sure if the air circulation from the rotor can create the coldness or is it something else ?

The rotor is a rollerwheel with 4 magnet. North pole is facing out.

I made the coil adjustable so I can move it exactly to the rotor and the gap will be correct - as you mention.

When I start spinning the rotor is that clockwise or counter clockwise ?

When I start spinning the rotor - It can be a little sluggish in RPM after a while it starts to gain more speed. Actually I notice 2 or 3 step increase of speed until et reach a "maximum" momentum - maybe a kind of resonance. The scope show 200
                          Volt in peaks (spikes) the big coil. Small coil 175 Volt.

Do you have any idea how much the Volt spikes should be in this small SG model ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1323[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1324[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1325[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1326[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1327[/ATTACH]

Regarding using neos or ceramic
                          It seem like I can use neos instead of ceramic as far I understand from you observations.

YOUR QUOTE
                          "I have not seen evidence that neos would be bad in this case and may actually be of benefit since there is no bucking loss against them, the magnets being in alignment with the magnetic coil means the magnets will ALWAYS remain strong and will not weaken from being repulsed and when the magnet is leaving and the coil turns off, the collapsed field has a stronger permanent magnetic field to pull potential from"

I would be very happy if you could clarify the diagram you mention 10 years ago. If it is possible to increase mechanical work and reduce draw from the primary battery at the same time. I thing that it is a very important information along with the information about the direction of the coil.

ON PAGE 71 - BOTTOM

So, this is the basic operation of the "Repulsion Mode" for the machine etc....
                          (DO you mean the coil is wound clockwise direction ?? What Pole of the magnet is facing out) ??

"When everything was looked at again carefully, it was finally noticed that the machines that produced the best results all had the "counter-clockwise" coils. We decided to see if any of the experimenters would report the discovery from their own experiment, but no one did".

ON PAGE 72 - TOP

The attraction Mode of running

This method of running the machine is identical to the "repulsion Mode except that the Coil is wound in the opposite direction.
                          (DO you mean the coil is wound in "counter-clockwise" direction ?? as mention on page 71 - Bottom line) ??

So the circuit is the same and all the magnets on the wheel have their North Pole Facing out.

Thank you very much for your help

Regards Freepower
                          If you want to make a small one, just use the same wire size specified in John's drawings that are included in the book for Shawnee's version.

Actually, both wires are wound in the same direction. You can wind them at the same time from 2 different spools.

If you wound them in different directions, you can run into problems. They should be wound in the same direction.

Is the transistor still hot when it is up to full speed?

I'd rewind the coil so both wires are in the same direction. If you wound the trigger in the opposite direction after the power winding, just unwind the trigger and rewind it in the same direction as the power winding.

It doesn't matter which way the wheel spins.

The spikes can easily be over 100v on a small coil like that.

I would still use ceramics and just study that for a while.

You can run it in attraction mode no matter which direction the coil is wound as long as the magnets are placed in the appropriate polarity out. Attraction mode all by itself will give you more mechanical and electrical output compared to repulsion mode per unit of input work.

Before answering anything else, please make sure both windings are in the same direction then come back and post.

Thanks!
                          Aaron Murakami

Comment

Originally posted by yemo_omo9ja View Post
                            hello to everyone, i'm new in this forum but have tried to use a normal bicycle wheel for my ssg but could not sustain the motion and have also tried using a circular wall clock made of plastic with round magnets sourced from small radio speakers all to no avail, please could some one tell me what was wrong?
                            Hi Yemo,

If the wheel didn't keep spinning, it sounds like the circuit wasn't hooked up right.

Please post a diagram of your build and some pictures.
                            Aaron Murakami

Comment

Regarding the core welding wire specs...would be a good ideea to post some datasheet about that wire to help people around the world to search in their countries some similar type of wire...

Comment

Originally posted by sinergicus View Post
                                Regarding the core welding wire specs...would be a good ideea to post some datasheet about that wire to help people around the world to search in their countries some similar type of wire...
                                For core wire, this is the exact item I purchased about 2 weeks ago and it works perfect:

Amazon.com: Weldcote Metals R45 1/16" X 36" Gas Welding Rod 10 Lbs.: Home Improvement

Weldcote Metals R45 1/16" X 36" Gas Welding Rod 10 Lbs.

DESCRIPTION: Weldcote Metals R45 is a copper coated gas welding rod that is used for welding ordinary low carbon steel up to 1/4 thick. It is recommended where ductility and machinability are most important. R45 produces high quality welds which are ductile and free of porosity. This rod is excellent for steel sheets, plates, pipes, castings and structural shapes. No flux required. APPROVALS: Meets AWS A5.2 Class R45. CHEMICAL COMPOSITION Carbon .08Manganese .50Silicon .10Phosphorus .035Sulfur .040Copper .30Chromium .20Nickel .30Molybdenum .20Aluminum .02 Packaging: 10 LB

In the USA, it is about $30 delivered. You can make a LOT of cores with 10 pounds of this wire.

I'm sure you can find something similar outside of the USA as welding rod should be very common.
                                Aaron Murakami

Comment

Working...
                                X