No announcement yet.

Branch's SSG Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will send you a new everything when its finished. no need to take your current wheel apart.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

• Hi John-

I believe it was 14.4V. That's where the tracker light switched over to the "charged/desulphate" mode.

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
      Hey Branch,

How high did the solar tracker push that battery?

John K.

Comment

• Sweet! That is great news man, thank you!

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
        I will send you a new everything when its finished. no need to take your current wheel apart.

Tom C

Comment

• John K-

Here is a vid of me charging up one of my garden batteries with the 3 coil setup.

Comment

• Hey Branch, that looks like it's running great. Is that on 3 coils or 2? And when you turned up the juice at the end what was the amp draw from the primary?

John K.

Comment

• Hey John-

3 coils, and it was at 1A draw from the primary after I turned it up.

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
              Hey Branch, that looks like it's running great. Is that on 3 coils or 2? And when you turned up the juice at the end what was the amp draw from the primary?

John K.

Comment

• Has anyone done any reading or experimenting with charging based on the resonant frequency of PbSO4? I am reading in various places on the net that the resonant frequency of PbS04 is 3.26Mhz, although I am also reading that this frequency can vary between 2-10Mhz depending on the size and shape of the crystals. The theory is that pulsing at these high frequencies dissolves the sulphate back into the electrolyte.

I am reading the the BatteryMINDer chargers that are commerically available use 3.26Mhz as their pulse frequency.

I would be interested in a circuit that could pulse radiant that fast, and possibly even sweep a frequency range continuously between 2-10Mhz.

Comment

• Doing some experimenting tonight with an audio spectrum analyzer. I have done this before but not with such a cool program. I have a condensor mic hooked up next to the coil, running through a mixer and into my PC. The analyzer tracks in real time the audio frequencies coming from the coil and wheel. You can see as I adjust the resistance that different frequencies will spike. There are tuning points where certain spikes will suddenly increase in amplitube. Also interesting, and I didn't show this in the video...is that if you turn the 3D charting sideways, the spikes raise and lower in a very obvious wave pattern. Some are very consistent, and some seem to shift around based on who knows what.

If anyone has any ideas for things I could try with this I am happy to shoot more vid.

Comment

• One last video for the night. I did some testing with a TriField meter that measures the strength of electromagnetic fields. I wanted to see how tuning effects the size and strength of the field. Interesting results, at least to me. Maybe common knowledge for some here. Basically the more current you give the SG inside of a given spike range, the more your field collapses. The largest field occurs at 1 spike with the least amount of current.

Comment

• Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                      One last video for the night. I did some testing with a TriField meter that measures the strength of electromagnetic fields. I wanted to see how tuning effects the size and strength of the field. Interesting results, at least to me. Maybe common knowledge for some here. Basically the more current you give the SG inside of a given spike range, the more your field collapses. The largest field occurs at 1 spike with the least amount of current.

Branch,

Your video is hilarious! Started laughing myself at about the one minute mark. I just want to try and understand what you are saying, because at least on the surface it sounds pretty counterintuitive. So as you increase current (increased voltage as well?) to a coil pulsed by SG machine, the inductive spike inceases with increased current however the strength of the electromagnet decreases at higher power levels? Is that it? As a corrollary and specific to your particular coil, set-up etc, as the inductive spike is related to the collapsing field, your SG would run better at higher current? Thx

Addendum: Sorry but you confused my brain, as you increase current is your wheel slowing down?
                      Last edited by ZPDM; 09-07-2015, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• Haha yeah my son was really laughing.

In the vid I am not increasing voltage. All I am doing is adjusting the trigger resistance with a potentiometer.

Between 1.4A and 3A at one spike, there is a decrease of around 50 milliguass as I decrease the resistance (increase current). I do not know if this is affecting the amplitude of the spike, but I can observe that tonight and report back.

I would think that having a larger magnetic field would be the most beneficial tuning. But that's just a guess really.

I do not know if the wheel is slowing down. I think I remember from my RPM measurements a long time ago that it does slow down with a higher current, but I need to double check that.

Originally posted by ZPDM View Post
                        Branch,

Your video is hilarious! Started laughing myself at about the one minute mark. I just want to try and understand what you are saying, because at least on the surface it sounds pretty counterintuitive. So as you increase current (increased voltage as well?) to a coil pulsed by SG machine, the inductive spike inceases with increased current however the strength of the electromagnet decreases at higher power levels? Is that it? As a corrollary and specific to your particular coil, set-up etc, as the inductive spike is related to the collapsing field, your SG would run better at higher current? Thx

Addendum: Sorry but you confused my brain, as you increase current is your wheel slowing down?

Comment

• Branch,

I don't have the background on this and am still a relative neophyte, b) I'm not 100% sure I have what you are saying. If the milliguass you are measuring is the strength of the electromagnet's field, maybe it is something idiosyncratic but yea that sounds pretty wierd to me. Isn't ampere-turns pretty much synonymous with magnetic field strength? The turns haven't changed and the amps went up, more then doubled as you note, shouldn't the milligauss have doubled with the amps?

Comment

• Branch,
                            I liked both videos but I am going to comment on the Tri meter one.

I have an idea about whats going on there. The field is 3D and it has poles, the poles get deflected by the flywheel and it's rotation. The magnets on that wheel and the rpm changed the fields poles colockwise or counter clockwise when you increase current or remove some. When you slid the meter up and down the counter you were measuring in a 2D sample (Flat). To see if it is shifting the field try picking up the meter and see if the intensity moves up or down from the counte when you adjust.

I'm not sure if that is correct but it would be cool if you could check it out with that meter.

Comment

• Hey Bob-

It's gonna be hard to test that in this room as I have so much interference. Maybe if I turn everything off except for the SG. I will play around with this and see if I can nail down what you are describing. Would be cool to see on the meters.

That would explain why maybe the orientation and placement of the SG is important depending on how you have it tuned. I would think you wouldn't want fields interfering with each other. Possibilities of phase cancellation?

Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
                              Branch,
                              I liked both videos but I am going to comment on the Tri meter one.

I have an idea about whats going on there. The field is 3D and it has poles, the poles get deflected by the flywheel and it's rotation. The magnets on that wheel and the rpm changed the fields poles colockwise or counter clockwise when you increase current or remove some. When you slid the meter up and down the counter you were measuring in a 2D sample (Flat). To see if it is shifting the field try picking up the meter and see if the intensity moves up or down from the counte when you adjust.

I'm not sure if that is correct but it would be cool if you could check it out with that meter.

Comment

• Wanted to share with everyone a charge run on a battery that is responding very well to the desulphation abilities of the SG machine. This is running on 24V pulling slightly over 1A. Single coil.

You can see that the voltage shoots way up to 13V right from the start, indicating high impedance/a high level of sulphation. Then there is a drop down to around 11.5V and a gradual rise over the next 24 hours. Then another massive drop down to 10.85, and a gradual rise. Overnight the voltage fell again as more sulphation was cleared up, indicating more change in impedance. Now this morning it's on the rise again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	47131

Comment

Working...
                                X