• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to adjust current into the circuit.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

• I need to study this circuit a bit more before asking any more questions...

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
      to adjust current into the circuit.

Tom C

Comment

• the long answer is you dont want to run on the potentiometer forever, the carbon on the wiper will burn out. so when you figure out where you want your resistance you measure your pot and then place the fixed resistor. this gives you the current draw you want. so you adjust coil gap (which changes the amount of magnetic flux that energises thru the coil core) or you change the base resistance which does the same thing. getting the base to open and shut just the right amount.

I dont want a hi ohm resistor on the front feeding all the transistors, I only want what I need, to get the circuit working correctly.

I am not sure what you are asking other than that.. there is no esoteric reason, its straight engineering on the front end in this part of the circuit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barrie Castle View Post
          Hi Guys,

Hope this can help.

Tom's being pretty generous with 8 minutes. I never stopped mucking about with both my SSG wheels until they were both at 11.5 minutes. You cleaned everything out & used Tri-Flow, right? I ran a topic on balancing some time ago here... makes a huge difference.

http://www.energyscienceforum.com/be...spin-time.html

All The Best.
          Link looks broke. Please, that's the most difficult part of the sg for me (i'm ok with eletronics). Could you find the thread for me, please? I tried searching for "128 wheel spin time", found nothing

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom C View Post
            classic SG charge curves!! nice work Branch. you are already at a cop over 1 if you include the mechanical. your next step is to run the SG in branch mode charging circuits. desolder the output diodes from the charge battery positive trace and solder a wire to each one on the output side. then run a wire to the positive of 4 batteries. those batteries will have a common negative.

then try it in generator mode...

Tom C
            How does you get those cool charts? I thought the CBA could only be used to discharge the battery, can you use it to log the voltage during charge also?

Comment

• yes you can. the cba monitors both.
              Tom C

Comment

• I decided to chart my primary battery as it runs my SG, to see what the curve looks like. I then charged it back up, and ran a discharge curve with the CBA at the same mA (around 620mA) that the SG draws. My goal here was to see if maybe my primary battery wasn't lasting as long as it should when running the SG.

Here is the curve with the CBA as a load:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CBA Primary Discharge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	45994

Here is the curve with the battery running the SG:

Name:	SG Primary Discharge.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	45996

Here is a close-up of the above photo:

Name:	SG Primary Discharge Closeup.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	45995

Is this what I should be seeing? From what I understand about the SG circuit, it triggers and then stops...again and again, so the "up and downs" with the voltage would be normal. The two curves end up being around the same time...my amp meter could be slightly off on the mA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                  yes you can. the cba monitors both.
                  Tom C
                  Thanks Tom. So, i can use it to monitor the SSG while charging, and that doesn't affect (degrade) SSG operation? I remeber in the old foruns it was recommended not to run thhe ssg with the meters on because they would degrade performance (lower COP).

Comment

• Originally posted by pontozero36 View Post
                    Thanks Tom. So, i can use it to monitor the SSG while charging, and that doesn't affect (degrade) SSG operation? I remeber in the old foruns it was recommended not to run thhe ssg with the meters on because they would degrade performance (lower COP).

you can monitor your primary as its charged on a standard charger, and you can do a run just to see how it perfoms on the primary side, but you should not leave any meter on at all as a general rule. I wasn't really commenting on proceedure just responding to you question.

Tom C

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Wing View Post
                      If you are going for all you can get out and or put into your batteries with the SSG configuration...

I would also recommend a three battery system if charging with the SG. One battery for the SG primary, one for charge on the SG back end and one being charged or topped up with the 2A12. The 2A12 can constantly be charging your off machine, third battery while you are using the other two with your SG. As the primary drops to 12.2 volts or so you can simply put it on the SG back end or on the 2A12 to get recharged without any SG down time.

Dave
                      What is this 2A12?

Comment

• Originally posted by pontozero36 View Post
                        What is this 2A12?
                        Designed for car, boat, motorcycle and lawn tractor batteries, the TX-2A12 Starter Battery Charger is much more than a compact charger for 12 volt lead-acid batteries.

If your starter battery is starting to sound a little tired this fully automated charger can be used to bring it back to life.

No other charger on the market comes close to what the TX-2A12 does to bring back tired, weak batteries or keeps healthy batteries in top condition.

Built in trickle function also keeps batteries that are used occasionally in a fully charged condition for the time when you need it most. No more worrying about a flat battery next time you want to use your occasional vehicle!

The TX-2A12 comes with a universal power supply for use at mains voltages between 100 and 240 volts AC.

Comment

• Just an update...last month I re-made the cables going from the SG circuit to my batteries...used some different ring terminals and I believe the connection is very solid now.

This chart is showing my charge curves...which as you can see are steadily improving. I have gone from having to use 5 primaries, to just 2 in order to charge an equal size battery.

So this is what conditioning looks like.

Name:	Chart1.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	46050

Comment

• Good to see you're still at it Branch. The results are looking good.

John K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                              Just an update...last month I re-made the cables going from the SG circuit to my batteries...used some different ring terminals and I believe the connection is very solid now.

This chart is showing my charge curves...which as you can see are steadily improving. I have gone from having to use 5 primaries, to just 2 in order to charge an equal size battery.

So this is what conditioning looks like.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3082[/ATTACH]
                              Hello Branch,

Excellent progress there - be truly great if you could share the associated COP data for the depicted runs. We all need a reality check on the beginner's side and you have been at this for a couple rounds.

Keep plugging,
                              Yaro
                              Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

• Hi Yaro-

I've been following your progress as well. I haven't actually been calculating any COP data for the above curves...just been watching to see how they change. I will collect the data from my next few runs and post them for you. Will take about a week...but I'll post it up for sure.

Cheers!

Branch

Originally posted by Yaro1776 View Post
                                Hello Branch,

Excellent progress there - be truly great if you could share the associated COP data for the depicted runs. We all need a reality check on the beginner's side and you have been at this for a couple rounds.

Keep plugging,
                                Yaro

Comment

Working...
                                X