ssg circuit help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssg circuit help

I've placed all the components for the basic ssg circuit on a breadboard, and I wondering if someone can double-check me before I solder this all together.

I am still very much a beginner with circuitry, so I'm sure something is wrong. I have drawn arrows and typed in some notes...hopefully the photos are clear enough.

I just didn't want to solder it all up and waste the components until I'm sure I have it sorted out correctly.

Thanks for any help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ssg3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	50846Click image for larger version

Name:	ssg1.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	50847Click image for larger version

Name:	ssg2.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	50848

It looks alright to me. I didn't use breadboard or any "board" on either of my builds, because low contact resistance for every connection is crucial. I won't even need a board for the 5-filar. You can still do a good neat job just by vertical-glueing the tranny & soldering everything in place with some good stress-relief bends, etc. Make sure your magnet wire is thoroughly stripped, fluxed & tinned first. Soldering doesn't waste components. If you make a wrong connection, just de-solder, clean up, re-flux & re-solder. Go for it, dude!

Comment

Right on! The main thing I'm concerned with is if I have the transistor backwards, or either of the two bulbs. I wasn't sure how to tell what end was positive vs. negative on the bulbs...

Originally posted by Barrie Castle View Post
      It looks alright to me. I didn't use breadboard or any "board" on either of my builds, because low contact resistance for every connection is crucial. I won't even need a board for the 5-filar. You can still do a good neat job just by vertical-glueing the tranny & soldering everything in place with some good stress-relief bends, etc. Make sure your magnet wire is thoroughly stripped, fluxed & tinned first. Soldering doesn't waste components. If you make a wrong connection, just de-solder, clean up, re-flux & re-solder. Go for it, dude!

Comment

Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
        Right on! The main thing I'm concerned with is if I have the transistor backwards, or either of the two bulbs. I wasn't sure how to tell what end was positive vs. negative on the bulbs...
        She's right, mate. Go ahead. The bulbs are non-polarized; they go either way. You can pull up a data sheet on the tranny or use the diode test function on your multimeter to check transistor polarity.

All The Best.

Comment

Hi,

Right, the grain of wheat and the neons are non polarized. It's the led lights that are polarized, and you have to watch that if you want to use them as a load.

Robert

Comment

Branch,
            We are all pulling for you. Get it going!

Bud
            Do not procrastinate! Make something happen...even if it is wrong. Once begun half done!

Comment

Haha thanks everyone. I'm having a battle with my bike wheel at the moment. I believe that either it is slightly bent, or the axle is bent. I can't get over 4 minutes on the free spin. I bought new ceramic bearings and they only have me around 30 seconds more spin time. Triflow on the bearings. I may need a new wheel...sucks though that I glued the magnets on.

I did have it running though...ran it through the r-charge pre built circuit that comes with the 3pm kit. So it works...just pulls too much current.

I'll get it going...just takes time, time, time.......

Comment

Hi Branch, In my opinion I would not give up with that amount of spin time. 4 minutes is not that bad. Remember this is not a motor and will not draw more current with the drag that you interpret in your head. Even though it might be bent or runs out a little has very little bearing on it's ability to produce negative energy. I think way too much emphasis is put on the free spin time. Get it to roll freely and get it balanced. Then run it. At this juncture you do not have anything to loose so try it out. Loosen the bearings so they make a little big of rattling or clicking of the balls as it rotates. That is how I judge my setyups now and I have never had a problem since.

As Peter L has stated to me "it is not the speed that matters but the quality of the pulse" This is the big key to charging.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bud
                Do not procrastinate! Make something happen...even if it is wrong. Once begun half done!

Comment

That's a good point. I'll probably continue on with the build, as I can replace the wheel at any time. I'm looking forward to using these new alum batteries with it!

Comment

Working...
                  X