Building an SG by the end of this year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi JRHKF

1) 1 watt 470 ohm resistors are standard for beginner level builds. However, for intermediate and advanced level builds, we are encouraged to use 1 watt 100 ohm resistors in series with a 1K ohm" tuning" potentiometer. For beginners, the 470 ohm resistors make it easier to "get it running." Later, we are encouraged to "fine tune" the machine, to get the most out of it. That would require matching the 100 ohm resistors, and matching the transistors. So right now, since your resistors are half watt, go get some 1 watt 470 resistors and stick with the learning curve. John B. developed the learning curve for good reasons.

2) Get a bunch more of those bar magnets, and a bicycle wheel. You will thank me later. Be sure you get some super glue and strapping tape...

3) Which computer do you have, and what processor and processor speed do you have (should say somewhere on it). Older-slower computers are excellent candidates for Ubuntu (or any Linux OS, but Ubuntu is more user friendly, IMHO). Let me know which one you have, and I will try to suggest an OS for you that could speed up your computer and make it more capable/useful.
    Best Regards ~ James, Somewhere In Idaho

Comment

If you are getting the circuit boards from TeslagenX, they are marked pretty well for parts placement. If you are building from scratch, try to do one thing at a time, making sure you solder parts close to each other (even right on the component), paying attention to which "leg" is which for the transistor, and diodes, as the diodes are directional, and the transistor legs are different in reality than one might think by looking at a circuit diagram. Once you realize those things, you should be able to build it one part at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by JRHKF View Post
        About operating systems, I have my own computer, but it is so primitive that about all it is good for is word processing, and its word processing system is so crude that I prefer to use other computers. If I open my e-book, it will probably have to be somewhere else, probably my local library (Aldrich Library, Barre, Vermont). Said library's computers use Windows 7; they are PC's, as opposed to Macs.
        Hello JRHKF here is a linux based distribution, that goes fast on slow computers, some thing I spent ages on. Here is the link to download the iso image.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1_...ew?usp=sharing

I hope this helps you.

Enjoy,

Most
        Kindest
        Regards
        Nityesh Schnaderbeck

Comment

Unfortunately, my home computer doesn't have internet.

Comment

How tall should the spool be that holds the coil of wire (450 to 800 turns, supposedly) that sits under the bicycle wheel? 15 cm/ 6 inch, maybe?

Comment

Hi JRHKF

If you plan to do the 7-20 AWG plus 1-23 AWG strand coil the beginner project suggests using, then the suggested size coil frame would be 3.25 inches tall and have a diameter of 3.5 inches with the core being .75 inches. If you are using different size wire, or a different number of strands, then you would need a different size coil frame. For instance: I have recently built 2 different coils, 1 with 8-18AWG strands and 1-23 AWG strand, all 120 feet long, and it required a coil 4.5 inches tall, by 4.5 inches wide, with a 1.05 inch core. It's companion for this build just had 8-18AWG. I built the frames ends out of HDPE cutting board stock, and the core support was 1 inch poly pipe, all plastic-welded together. They looked like this:

If you end up building your coil frames, instead of ordering from TeslagenX (I suggest beginners should order them), do not try to build them using PVC and glue...doesn't work good. Some people have great luck with acrylic using acrylic solvent...essentially chemically welding the round core support to the flat end pieces they cut out with a hole saw...I would like to do that some day...looks nice, But for me, it is cheaper to use cutting boards and plastic weld them together...hope that helps...

Comment

Hi JRHKF

Here is where you can do research if you can't access your book yet: http://www.energyscienceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Comment

Originally posted by jamesgray3rd View Post
                  Hi JRHKF

If you plan to do the 7-20 AWG plus 1-23 AWG strand coil the beginner project suggests using, then the suggested size coil frame would be 3.25 inches tall and have a diameter of 3.5 inches with the core being .75 inches. If you are using different size wire, or a different number of strands, then you would need a different size coil frame. For instance: I have recently built 2 different coils, 1 with 8-18AWG strands and 1-23 AWG strand, all 120 feet long, and it required a coil 4.5 inches tall, by 4.5 inches wide, with a 1.05 inch core. It's companion for this build just had 8-18AWG. I built the frames ends out of HDPE cutting board stock, and the core support was 1 inch poly pipe, all plastic-welded together. They looked like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5028[/ATTACH]

If you end up building your coil frames, instead of ordering from TeslagenX (I suggest beginners should order them), do not try to build them using PVC and glue...doesn't work good. Some people have great luck with acrylic using acrylic solvent...essentially chemically welding the round core support to the flat end pieces they cut out with a hole saw...I would like to do that some day...looks nice, But for me, it is cheaper to use cutting boards and plastic weld them together...hope that helps...
                  Neat Build man! good suggestion especially when you need a lot of them.....
                  Rgds,
                  Fardaay88.
                  'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Faraday88

Thanks, man...

Comment

Originally posted by JRHKF View Post
                      The man I live with recommends using a circuitboard as a place to assemble the circuit, so that you can easily correct any mistakes. Does everyone agree?
                      Yes, this is a good idea. The board will hold the components in position and stop things touching which shouldn't.

But you don't need to waste time being too fancy about this.

I have done well with a stiff piece of cardboard having poke holes through with a small nail or the end of a pair of scissors.

Comment

The core should be 0.75 inches? (See post #51 by jamesgray3rd.) Is that the inner or outer diameter of the core? (I currently have a piece of PVC pipe with inner diameter 0.75 inch.) Also, one member of the forum recommended using a 470 ohm resistor; Aaron Murakami says 100 ohm.

Comment

The core should be 0.75 inches? (See post #51 by jamesgray3rd.) Is that the inner or outer diameter of the core? (I currently have a piece of PVC pipe with inner diameter 0.75 inch.) Also, one member of the forum recommended using a 470 ohm resistor; Aaron Murakami says 100 ohm.

Comment

Sorry about having the same post twice. It was an accident?

Comment

Hi JRHKF

1) .75 is the inner diameter

2) 470 and 100 ohms respectively...both are true. John B. says to build the first one with 470 ohm base resistors, because it is easy to "just get it running" that way.

In more advanced energizers...ones that are more highly tuned (like having matching transistors and base resistors), one can get more out of it.

In other words, John B says "just get it running" with 470 ohms, then modify it with the 100 ohm resistors.

However, along with the modification to 100 ohms, it is suggested to run matched components...

There-in lies the rub...What if you have limited funds, and want to end up with a full featured energizer? Does one just jump to the more advanced build or not? I will let you decide that, just remember that when you go more advanced, it's with the idea that you have to be more concerned with balanced components...at least that is my humble opinion... Hope that helps...
                              Last edited by James_Somewhere_In_Idaho; 12-13-2015, 11:14 AM.

Comment

What wattage rating should the 470 ohm resistors be?

Comment

Working...
                                X