Types of Meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of Meters

I heard the best meters for the SG energizer are analog ones since they do not average readings. What models of voltage and ammeters are suggested? Thanks!

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
    I heard the best meters for the SG energizer are analog ones since they do not average readings. What models of voltage and ammeters are suggested? Thanks!
    Hi Benjamin. Use either kind. I have both types and they work. It isn't good to leave them connected to the system all the time because they effect the tuning. I just use cheap digital meters because they can gets zapped and die without warning. My amp meter is analog. It isn't a special kind. I think most around here use cheap meters although some use more expensive ones.

al

Comment

Benjamin,

Analog ammeters have inherent issues on the SG energizer as noted by other replicators. OK to use to get a general sense of performance, but for the more precision oriented a clamp on DC instrument may be your best choice.

Yaro
      Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

Benjamin, I would recommend an analog panel amp meter for measuring currents. If this is your first SG with a single bifilar coil a meter that will measure 0 to 1 amp will be fine, since the draw current will average around 200mA.

For measuring battery voltages a cheap digital multimeter will be fine.

John K.

Comment

Thanks for the posts. I will go with the analog 1A meter and keep the Harbor Freight Meter I have for voltage. I was hoping to measure those 100V spikes at the terminal and was thinking they were being averaged out by the digital meter.

Comment

Working...
          X