some batterys come dry and with a precharge

Leave a comment:

• wild weasel
    replied
    hello folks

just wondering.
    sorry jelloir for hyjacking your topic but its still about batterys

i came accros a strange thing today.
    we emptyd the assid out of a battery and after this we had still a 8.95 volt on the battery..... how is this possible????
    filled it up again with assid and its back to 12 volts

but just the fact to have a load when empty....????? it was holding this for a long time as well??????

regards
    weasel

Leave a comment:

• wild weasel
    replied
    hello guy

on the first machine i had a couple 70AH batterys on the charge side
    these did fine so yes i know it works

regards
    weasel

Leave a comment:

• guyzzemf
    replied
    wheasel
    so you never charged a good 30-50 amp [car battery ] and discharged it
    if not how do you know if the ssg works .

Leave a comment:

• wild weasel
    replied
    hello guy

as input i used 2 225AH batterys
    discharge was a bit dissapointing . it lasted only 15 minutes under a load of 4.5 amps
    but i knew in advance it was a bad battery for starting.... just need to get it back up slowly
    in the meantime
    first charge session after the discharge gave me alreaddy 0.1 volt more than the previuos charge session and its still slowly Climbing.

better results ewpected with the next build.
    currently running on a 7 trans system single coil
    now building a 4 coiler for these batterys

regards
    weasel

Leave a comment:

• guyzzemf
    replied
    discharge tells all
    have you charged with 2 good batteries of the same size .how long did it take , was size are the 2 good bats
    you need to compare with a good charge cycle a 180 amp is a big batt i think my 16 trans would take a long long time to charge a good 180 amp if you have not charged a good batt and discharged it then youll never know if the ssg is setup right

the only thing i diff after i know the ssg will charge a good batt is put a little bigger bat up ft
    Last edited by guyzzemf; 06-04-2014, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wild weasel
    replied
    hello guy

bat is now at 13.81 volts for the last 3 hours
    i do a discharge now and see if we got it up a bit

Leave a comment:

• guyzzemf
    replied
    weasel 1-2 amps unless is a big battery then more i think the norm is the c20 but c10 i do .

Leave a comment:

• wild weasel
    replied
    hey guy

thanks for the info

just a snap queastion. how manny amps you pull on discharge?

regards
    weasel

Leave a comment:

• guyzzemf
    replied
    it is a must that you ssg will charge a good batt this is base line info you need so you can tell what the batt doing
    if good batt takes [x] time to discharge and [x time to charge ] a good base line to work off of

Leave a comment:

• guyzzemf
    replied
    weasel
    the easy ones which probably would have charged up anyway with but had no capacity .when the discharge times went way up to 12 -15 hrs/ it can take up to 1O0 to 200 hrs of wheel time .you can tell by the first 4-5 discharge if its worth doing .discharge is the tell all.
    i know that my system will charge a good batt in 2-3 eight hr runs .what you need to watch out for is when a batt that goes to 15-16 volts fast those will come back but you got to watch and as your seeing battery voltage drops .as the plates get better the voltage drops
    i only needed to watch for first few charges if the discharge time went up in good say 1hr to3hr to 7 hr in 3 cycles [8 on 1 rest 8 on 1 rest+8 on check discharge time [cdt] I would do the first runs 8 on then cdt i did not care to much about getting to 14-15 volts till
    battery had a dct of 8-10 hrs you will see as soon as you discharge a few ALL BATTERIES ARE DIFF. Some come back fast
    a battery load tester is a good thing everyone should have one if the battery made good gains in first two 8 hr runs i could test with load
    test [100 amp load for 2-3 sec]. i could tell about how long it will take to get a good doc .at this point a weak is good but if poor or less
    its a maybe or a long road , you really need 3or 4 batts to play with so you can charge ea for run and discharge them and see the difference . plan on 15 runs ,some never got to 14 v but drove away in somebodys car . discharge to 12v rest .rest the batt is a must
    if the batt has done good things up to now i try to rest batt longer don't freak out if you get a batt that is doing good and you load test
    and batt dies it happens better now then when they start there car 2nd time
    most of the time last charge is a hot with a smart charger and at least 2 of 10 batts i got needed nothing and 2 never should pickup
    2 would be easy 2 a pain . some pallets had 7 good batts all car batts almost all came out of cars that got towed

don't get in a hurry and push a bunch of currant it wont help the doc this is why i say dont change a thing
    you get payoff on the discharge if you know your ssg will charge a good batt the near same size for [x]base
    resistance dont change it much i allways either add 50 to a 100 oms or take away 50 -100 no pot
    Last edited by guyzzemf; 06-02-2014, 06:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wild weasel
    replied
    hello guy

just another question for you

how long does it take for you to bring a dead battery back to good condition?

and one more question witch is bothering us here
    we see from time to time a sudden drop in the voltages under charge.
    it happend a few times that in the morning we get lets say 13 volt on the charge battery and a couple hours later its down to 12.7 or lower
    could this be because the plates are cleaning up and taking extra charge or are there other reasons???

in the meantime we put the amps up on the front side to hammer a bit stronger 1.35 amps at current
    and we see a rise in the charge side to 13.62 volt under charge

lets see what happens now

regards
    weasel

Leave a comment:

• guyzzemf
    replied
    i have done a min of 10 pallets of 10 batteries ea . and got 15 holy t shirts [battery acid]
    the first 10 batteries i got i had no choice in what i got when i went back to get 10 more the guy ask what happen to the first 10 i told him 7 of them
    are back in cars /he did not believe me . so i gave him the 3 that were no good and he gave 1 battery that was his [he payed 4] and let me pick other 9 . his batt came back good + 7 more gave him his + one more good, at this point i could do no wrong so for next 3 + years i could pick my batts /no snow wights no dead cells no beat up or scared batt.terminals if the terminals look new its a good start
    batteries with a low cell [low battery acid] and all else is good is a good chance it will live again
    clean batt good a good load tester 100 amp is a must /i know i bought at least 5 gallons of distilled water
    i wont do it all again but i do get 1 pallet every once and a wile and keep 5-4 batts ready to go .i still get calls or peoples come by
    i cant keep a hydrometer with out breaking it bought many none are guy proof
    ps im in texas very rare a batt get frozen and batts are sold for hot weather and cold
    so i dont see any batteries that have been frozen i would think this would kill fast
    guy
    Last edited by guyzzemf; 06-01-2014, 10:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• guyzzemf
    replied
    i dont run a power supply as a rule i raley ck output amps but i get it to 1 spike with min currant draw .i still want it to be efficient in the radiant charge .this maybe wrong but i see the batteries as rooms or caves that spike echoes through /hammertime means a bigger battery on ft. hammering a smaller batt on bk. . to me a power supply 1-3 or 5 amp dose not do the same as a 200 amp hr batt hammering a 30-50 amp hr on back end [keep voltage same] the charge battery has to do something
    kinda like if you setup with 2 = batts ft. and bk but changed to big up ft 125 % and back 75%
    and i never let ft. side get low at all . i have two big deep cycle ft. with a battery selector .max run 8 hr each batt. evan though the batt
    would run 15 hr and not lose tune and run 24 b 4 batt got to low 11.00
    I never change a thing once im happy with the setup for the battery i trying to save . each battery you try to bring back is diff and small
    changes in base are needed /evan as the battery is coming back small base changes are needed as battery get its capacity back
    what let me to this was having a pallet of 10 batts to work with /putting two batts up ft. in parallel did not seem to act like i big bat
    although it seems like it should it did not 4 me . dont go too big to small [car to motorcycle batt]

Leave a comment:

• jelloir
    replied
    Hi Weasel, was 12.7V as high as you could push the 180AH battery? My research has been that you want to push it as high as it will go (up to 16.2V presuming it can get there) before a discharge cycle. If your only taking it to 12.7V but it can do more then I doubt your getting a good DOC as Guy suggests and therefore your not putting any capacity in to the battery.

As a comparison I am running against a 150AH Golf cart battery at the moment that was resting at 12V when I started (dead) and it's been running for days but is still slowly rising and is at 13.58 at the moment and hasn't plateaued yet. Draw from the primary is about 1.5A with 298RPM. It takes about 5 hours to go up .1V.

I am not sure what impact using a power supply would have on rejuvenation but my own research is that you should not use a power supply with an SSG as it has the wrong impedence. If I can find a reference to that I'll link to it. Basically you should be using a fully charged good battery as the primary. I just have a couple of new 65AH that I use and do a "swap and charge" with them.
    Last edited by jelloir; 06-01-2014, 06:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X