hi allen

i have 2 of these more or less the same rating now
    when i started these had only 5 minutes worth of power on the same load
    they are now 2.5 weeks on the wheel so they do verry well again

regards
    weasel

Comment

been checking on the bats now again

they are exide batterys 80AH and 700 cranking amps used in jaguar original
      but i have trouble finding some correct tables on them to find out how well i am to the 20c rating on these.
      as far as i can find the 20c rating is based on draining them to 1.7 volts on the terminals so this is something to avoid at all cost

one thing for sure i charge them on the wheel fully in 24 hours with only 0.2 amps input witch is VERRY intresting

somewhere i found that 12 volt is 75 percent discharge and another source said 12 volt is 50 percent discharge this is a rather big diffrence

when i can believe the first then i calculate 5 hours discharge for 25 percent equals the c20 witch means im at full capacity
      on the other table im only at 50 percent

someone here has a accurate table for regular lead accid bats?

later i try some AGM batterys witch is another story as far as i can find ( i have 2 225ah units here)

ps my primary is a varta 225ah agm as well and it lasts a week before a charge is needed and it powers 2 separate coil sets on the same wheel

regards
      weasel

Comment

last week was tinkering time again

i was wondering if i could use a load on the back end during charging.....
        at first i put a 5 watt led light over the battery and leave it there to see if it changed something. it was practical to have a little light there in the late hours when i came in the shed

now its a 20 watt led burning 24/7 and the battery is still charging at the same rate
        so basicly i have free light non stop and not loosing a bit on charging......
        so now its time to see if i can sustain 30 watts
        i try to find a spot where i see the change in charge times to try and see what load i can sustain on a single coil whilst holding the charge in the battery
        in the end i believe this is the nicest way to know exactly how much energy i get for free.

with my 20 watts i im alreaddy brake even on this one coil. and still i have charge. looking at cop another way
        my second coil on the same wheel is the prime mover and i try now to put a light on thiss one as well..

i report back with the results

Comment

Weasel,
          That's good you are trying these things. I employ a similar thing sometimes where i will run a fan on my ss builds.

Let me explain a bit of what makes this possible and how to take advantage. This is all about potential. Your LED is using some of the high potential in those spikes, the charge battery only needs approximately double the voltage so for a 12v you need 24v, the spike is 100v+ so only about a quarter of the potential is utilized by one battery.

Many people do not understand this concept but if they would understand it they can get much better results from mode one.

If you put 4 batteries in series on the back they will all charge because it is roughly half of the potential the spike contains and requires roughly the same current as a single battery, maybe a little more but not nearly as much as if in parallel.

If you were to put four batteries in parallel you would be missing the point of it completely because it would appear as one very large battery which would require four times the current and you are still wasting three quarters of the potential in the spike.

You could run a heck of a lot of led's if you run them in series, remember you have high voltage so use that to your advantage. I have run 40 of the 1 watt star mounted type led's like cree's no problem because they require roughly 3v each, 3 x 40 = 120v which is just about what the spike is at.

Anyway you can run all sorts of things as loads but just remember this is about the potential not the current.

Comment

ok bob this clears a few blanks in my field of thinking

lets see what happens when i try this
            just need to get my hands on some identical batterys
            right now its a bit of a mix so far

i keep ya posted

regards
            weasel

Comment

just Fyi:

They don't need to be identical for you to charge them. keep an eye on them individually because a smaller one may charge up full faster than the other but they will rise together regardless if they are the same or not. to put it another way if you were to put a small garden battery and a large deep cell in series you can do that but keep checking the garden battery so you don't push it too hard while waiting for the other one.

Sure it would be nicer if they are all the same but it is not required to do some runs and see what i mean.

Good luck

Comment

just on the fly.
                i try now to build a new board for a twin coil system

would for the beginning matching my transistors on a multimeter do or is it giving better result on a system like i find on the forum?
                or would this be of use as well http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/silic...ansistors.html

for the batterys i am now improving another one on the normal setup to have a second one witch would have more or less the same condition
                not to have a almost dead one and a fairly good one together. once i have 2 above 50 percent i start testing

Comment

anyone here knows where to find 30 coiler kits?
                  the original ones john made in plexi.
                  in time we like to buy one of these to learn some more

Comment

The plexi kits are not available anymore. Teslagenx can custom build you a machine if you would like to have one. contact us at sales@teslagenx.com

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

hello folks
                      back at it again.....
                      by the way tom thanks for the offer

now on our setup we are going for 3 coils.
                      now i wonder what is the best way to allign these 3 coils
                      i just have a simple single channel scope witch is not giving me a verry accurate reading. but i can see more or less what is going on
                      i suppose i need to look at the driving winding behind the pot but im not sure
                      first steps into multi coil setup

first of all can i put a switch between the coil and the positive of the input battery? this for the 3 coils.
                      or will this have a bad influence on the board. the idea is to be able to select the number of active coils.

second i notice a strange effect on the scope between diffrent input sources on my single coil setup
                      when i run from a power supply of 19 volt i get a nice reading on my scope but when i go from a battery (225AH so its a strong one) the reading is a bit odd.
                      pulses look like galopping horses its waving up and down and not at all linear. (could this be the scope or is this something diffrent?)

kind regards and thanks for the help so far
                      weasel

Comment

hy folks

3 coils into operation
                        anny sugestions on improvement always welcome

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-28 22.59.45.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	46605Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-28 23.00.26.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	46606
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-28 23.01.46.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	46607
                        Last edited by wild weasel; 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM.

Comment

tap your rails at the center of the transistors, OR create a loop so the current travels the same distance.

Tom C

Comment

thanks tom
                            i try this on the next rail we make
                            by the way anny news about the mail i send you?

regards weasel

Comment

we need to chat... call the teslagenx phone number off the website tomorrow.

Tom C

Comment

hy tom

i just send PM

regards

Comment

Working...
                                X