Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Same c8 magnets but different number. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same c8 magnets but different number. Why?

I was watching Aarons video on youtube of the SG that you can buy. When he was talking about calculating RPM with the oscilloscope he said 21 magnets. So the production model of the energizer you can buy has only 21 c8 magnets. In the beginners handbook, 24 even spaced c8 magnets were recommended. Should I take mine all off and put only 21 magnets on my SG? I'm asking now because I'm getting ready to rebuild the SG with all the fine tuning and If if involves a redo of the wheel, I will do it then too.

I know the magnet spacing will be wider. I this beneficial? The handbook states that the spacing should be 3 inches between magnets, so why only 21 on the actual production model on Aarons video? Thanks Paul

Paul,

its not just about how many magnets, its about the spacing being wide enough to create the scalar south between norths. if the magents are too close together then the core will not fully switch, the south will be too small. 21 mags on a 26 inch rim is about the best we have found to work in terms of gap, depending upon how strong your ceramics are you may not have a good scalar south. less magnets will work, and more sometimes. my 18 mag 26 inch rotor works well also. this is another variable in the SG world

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

I should have looked at the forum first before putting 24 magnets on then! I guess what the handbook is doing is just to get us on the right start first. There are a lot of variables to take into account. Ok, on the next wheel I will use only 21 c8 magnets.

If the magnets are too close together, could this possibly have an effect on amp draw from the primary battery? I know you said in the amp draw post that 1.5 to 2 amps is the nominal current draw for the SG with 470ohm resistors with no fine tuning.

Paul

Comment

Working...
      X