Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS SSG with CPD modification coil size for big car batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS SSG with CPD modification coil size for big car batteries?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post (and thread) on this forum. I've been lurking in the shadows for the past few years, starting with the energetic forum.
    This new forum, raised my hopes for some working solutions so I decided to ask some questions.

First I'll describe the setup. It's an SS SSG with CPD mod as per Patrick's (min2oly) schematic. My goal with this is to be able to charge and restore medium to large sized car batteries (at least 75AH). The components used are:
    • 4 x 4700uF 35V in parallel on the input;
    • 470uF 400V on the output (no dump yet);
    • 2 x 10uF 250V in parallel for the mod;
    • 220 ohm resistor;
    • FR607 diode also for the mod;
    • 2 x MJL21194 matched;
    • 2 x 100 ohm base resistors matched;
    • 2 x BY399 diodes for the output also matched.

The coil used is an 8 filer with 0.562mm diameter (close to 23 AWG), approx 280 turns, litzed. Each strand is 40 meters (~130 feet) with a resistance of 2.8 ohms and an inductance (air core) of .914 mH. I used this coil previously with another setup with 7 MJE 13007, but those were not matched. The trigger is 2 of these strands, and each power winding has 3 - with the resistance measured at 1.1 ohms (I know it doesn't add up with the previous measurement). It oscillates at 1.35KHz. I also tried 2 strands per power winding and the only difference is the frequency goes up to about 1.5KHz. The problem is the coil gets pretty hot and I can't say the charging is great either. I used this wire because I had a big spool available on hand.

I also have other 3 matched MJL's but I'll save those for a better coil, and for that I'm about to order some 1.1mm diameter wire (between 17 and 18 AWG).

The questions are:
    • 1. Is there any way I can still use this coil and make it stay cooler? (maybe different length)
    • 2. How much of the 1.1mm wire should I order to make a proper coil for my purpose?
    • 3. What is a proper coil for the above mentioned purpose (number of strands, turns, resistance)?
    • 4. What is a desired frequency/trigger resistor/input current for this goal?

I'll gladly provide futher clarification if needed. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you all in advance and keep up the good work!

P.S: Sorry for the long and cumbersome post.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sssssgwithcapdiodemodif.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	50907Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00594.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	50908
    Last edited by gigi.shmen; 12-04-2012, 01:10 PM. Reason: lousy title

Hopefully there will be some answers for those who have build a solid state circuit.
    I have previously started a thread regarding the solid state so as to gather there all the information regarding that device.
    http://www.energyscienceforum.com/jo...state-ssg.html
    I have build a bifiar device using min2oly's schematic. It works ok and doesn't emmit any heat in anyof the components.
    The one you are providing is a trifilar and at the moment i am using that as a guide to design on CAD software a 6 filar. Adding to that the rest of the parts so as to become a six-fillar.

I will post it on the other thread because i would like some inspection to the connections and clarification regarding the resistors used in series (100+100+470) and with the pots used in series (1k+5k)
    The two cap in parallel seem ok instead of just one because it is probably for filtering purposes. I think it is used in this way for audio applications.
    Any how.
    This is a great effort and i hope you can get the answers so as to proceed to better results.

Comment

Working...
    X