Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shorting the gen coil with PWM? .. and other things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

had a quick question for people that have already been working with shorting. has anyone tried to "pre-charge" the cap they short into with a backwards voltage from what the short would charge the cap to? what made me think of this is i have heard that stacking voltages causes a bigger radiant event. Such as, I believe it was JB, that said something about taking two caps and charging them from a battery in parallel then putting them in series and discharge them back into the batt would cause a gain. So if the charge that is built up on a coil that is to be shorted is opposite the "pre-charge" you put on the cap (would be as if you connected a cap in series with the coil capacitence)...would it create a bigger push on the out-swing of the magnet and since the cap voltage is trying to push current in the same dirrection of the shorted coil would it end up charging higher in the other direction than if you did not "pre-charge" it? or maybe use another cap that you precharge and when you short the coil you short that cap in series with it into the charging cap therfore you would gain extra energy into the charge cap and also have a way to have a shorting coil generator be the prime mover because of the charge you put into the "pre-charged" cap.

does it sound like it may be something or am i missing something?Click image for larger version

Name:	1212141324-00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	46759

Not a complete shematic but something to show what im trying to get at. from my understanding even the smallest extra push would make a coil-shorting gen rotate because of the seeming non-existence of drag when shorted correctly. so if you short correctly and add one small extra charge...would it not run?
    Last edited by Bradley Malone; 12-12-2014, 04:28 PM.

Comment

A few days now since I have my small lifepo4 batts, the comparator cap dump built and adjusted, and the gen coils in place.

Having all that I did some basic tuning of the ssg circuit. I made a table with base resistance, input mA, RPM, and cap dump time.

I made that chart for radiant mode, and for generator mode.
      Remember that my machine is small, the coils, rotor magnets, all small, so the RPM is higher than the bicycle wheel.
      I can go from less than 1000 RPM to 3200 RPM, 3200 RPM is at 1 pulse per magnet (just before the extra pulses start to appear), and 1000 RPM is a lot of pulses per magnet.
      Generator mode beats radiant mode by far!, and when is running with almost 2k in the base, it runs at 1000 rpm and have the best cap dump time vs input relation, draws like 75 mA at that speed.
      The problem is that my gen coils are doing nothing at that sweet spot (when it goes at 1000 RPM), because they help fill the comparator when the RPM is like 2400.

Right now the gen coils, that are 6, are in 2 groups out of phase of 3 in series.

So I will probably put all 6 in series, to make them produce 24v+ in the 1000 RPM sweet spot.

But, I was reading the Ferris wheel thread, and wondered, about the Bedini-Cole circuit, I do know that the Bedini-Cole circuit produces more torque than the SSG, but what about the recovery? is similar to the ssg? Less? More?

Because it would be a nice option to try before re-configure my gen coils).

best,

Alvaro
      Last edited by AlvaroHN; 01-21-2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

uni-polar hall is a must for the beidni-cole circuit????

or can I use a Ratiometric Linear Hall Effect?? I only have those right now, and also one of those 4 pints hall/transistors that I found inside a computer fan.

I ordered the 3020 hall but the shipping is going to take 1 month.

Alvaro

Comment

.................................................. .................................................. .....
          ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
          Last edited by RS_; 01-21-2015, 10:43 PM. Reason: mess up

Comment

Originally posted by AlvaroHN View Post
            uni-polar hall is a must for the bedini-cole circuit????

yes, you want full on or full off, so most fan hall's should work..

or can I use a Ratiometric Linear Hall Effect?? I only have those right now,
            Ratiometric Linear Hall is for measuring magnets strength, or for a varabile on amount, in relation to strength or distant's from the magnet

and also one of those 4 pints hall/transistors that I found inside a computer fan.

3 pin models are better look up part number for pin out

I ordered the 3020 hall but the shipping is going to take 1 month.

Alvaro
            Last edited by RS_; 01-21-2015, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Thank you RS

I will wait for the 3020 then.

Alvaro

Comment

Hello to everyone.

I received the 3020 halls for the bedini-cole circuit, and last night I soldered the circuit and tested it.
                I used the schematic for the s1gt, but used bd242c for the PNPs and bd243c for the NPN.

And I have brand new questions :

- What would be the difference between the bedini-cole and SSG ??? the waveform is identical in both cases.

- Should I expect more torque from bedini-cole circuit than the SSG?? (bedini-cole with SG like coil, not window motor coil).

- And 3rd question, why the ferris wheel goes slow? I saw a video of John Koorns and his s1gt also goes slow... is because the large diameter wheel?

thank you

best,

Alvaro

Comment

not sure about the first two but i know the ferris wheel in the video i watch goes slow except for when he switches to a different mode then it speeds up quite a bit but for probably %70 of the video it was going slow.

Comment

Tnx Bradley anyway I know that the Ferris Wheel is a much more complicated machine.

I took new pics yesterday, here they are:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150218_195608.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	46920

Name:	20150218_195635.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	46921

Name:	20150218_195657.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	46922

Name:	20150218_231834.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	46923

Name:	20150218_231848.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	46924

Alvaro

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley Malone View Post
                      Can someone point me to a good description of the coil shorting idea. I have been looking around and see people talking about it but i just can't get my head around how you get anything from a shorted coil. Or are they shorting a coil to cause an effect in another coil?
                      Maybe this will help, short a magnet. Why is it that if I bring a ferrous metal towards a magnet at the bloch wall in between the two poles the metal is repelled?

Comment

Originally posted by Notsure View Post
                        Maybe this will help, short a magnet. Why is it that if I bring a ferrous metal towards a magnet at the bloch wall in between the two poles the metal is repelled?
                        Instead of being repelled, it is being attracted to either end.
                        Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

The smaller the magnet the thinner the wall. Use something thin like a knife blade or a small diameter welding rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
                            Instead of being repelled, it is being attracted to either end.

Hi all,

Attraction/Repulsion are Simultaneous Interactions:Attraction leads to repulsion and vice versa : the Bloch wall has Electric origin and the true nature of Electric Interaction is Repulsion as it is rightly stated.. while the true nature of Magnetism is Attraction... Magnetism, Gravity attract. Electricity, Vacuum Repel. In this sense Gravity and the Physical Vacuum bear a Broken symmetry and are in fact Electromagnetic in nature.

Rgds,
                            Faraday88.
                            Last edited by Faraday88; 09-20-2015, 11:58 PM.
                            'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Broken symmetry, I like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                                Hi all,

Attraction/Repulsion are Simultaneous Interactions:Attraction leads to repulsion and vice versa : the Bloch wall has Electric origin and the true nature of Electric Interaction is Repulsion as it is rightly stated.. while the true nature of Magnetism is Attraction... Magnetism, Gravity attract. Electricity, Vacuum Repel. In this sense Gravity and the Physical Vacuum bear a Broken symmetry and are in fact Electromagnetic in nature.

Rgds,
                                Faraday88.
                                Ok, big words Faraday
                                but tell me please, what are the benefits for practitioners like me. Are you able now to create monopole magnets
                                with your knowledge or can you show us an example where everybody can understand what you mean?
                                rgds,
                                hobbyrobotik

Comment

Working...
                                X