Bitcoin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom,

First off, I am not advising anyone to get involved with bitcoin or other cryptos through either purchase or mining it is all quite risky and may go to zero and I don't fully understand it myself. I just thought it was a very interesting financial development that people on this board might enjoy hearing about despite being off-topic. A book I read in the area of finance that really changed my thinking was Ellen Brown's "Web of Debt". The more commonly cited one that covers a lot of the same area is Edward Griffin's "Creature From Jekyl Island", it's one my to-do list but the topic can make for some really dyspeptic reading.

Sure if by fiat you mean the value is given by the community of users there is no difference between bitcoin and other forms of currency or for that matter gold or silver. If you mean supply is constrained with gold and silver, eventually in 20 or so years there would be no new bitcoin coming into existence, assuming gold is still physically mined out of the ground it would then be more inflationary then bitcoin. The difference is that with central bank "paper" fiat currencies there are nausea inducing onion like layers of fraud and deception added to the system. So let's take the function of a currency as an exchange for goods/services. First there is something like gold, then standardized into coins and inscribed with an image of central authority. Its value rises and falls to the point where it is most efficient at allowing commerce. Next paper notes concerning the gold to make it more easily divisible and transportable. Then the gold is held not personally but with a "banker". The banker when the owner is away starts lending out a portion of the gold in his safekeeping and charging interest to make money. Then he says, "aha" I'll lend out paper certificates representing gold". Soon he is lying about how much gold he has, lending out ten times as much in paper certificates as gold he has, charging say 5 percent interest on each and making 50 percent on every ounce of gold given him to safeguard. When caught lying, he says "oh no, that's just fractional reserve lending". Try that with tractors. Hence all the senseless bank panics and finances destroyed because the bankers lied about what they were holding to make money by charging interest on loans. The Old Testament had it right, no usury and all debts are forgiven the seventh (Jubilee) year, that or just lend without expecting anything in return. Then you have the electronic representation of paper, then finally, the representation of the representation of gold is not just fractional, it is not tied to it gold or anything at all. So now you have loans that come into existence from nothing, without even the need for a rock of gold, on which interest is owed, infinite COP of usury, and as the "money" to pay the interest is never brought into existence the debt can never be fully repaid requiring larger interest bearing loans (federal reserve notes) to come into being the next year increasing the debt ... the only way out, aside from default, as is often seen from large wars, being to aggressively attack one's neighbor to get funds to extricate oneself from debt. Central Bank of England -> sun never sets on the English Empire. This debt ridden money supply doesn't come into being from representative governments but from private bank monopolies. The debt is an invalid lie, through and through, there is no national debt, there is just a scam. The only politician I heard touch this was Ron Paul when he suggested we balance our budget by declaring the 4 trillion we owed to the (private) federal reserve void. From memory Benjamin Franklin stated, we would have gladly paid a little tax on tea, it was the inability to coin our own (debt-free) money which led to war". Andrew Jackson, when asked, after surviving multiple assassination attempts, what should be his epitaph, "I killed the bank".

How does bitcoin address these failings. 1) It is not a debt, there is no interest charged for using it when it comes into being, just like mined gold. 2) There is no fractional reserve. In retrospect this may be partly why people didn't abandon it when Gox failed. Yes a lot ideologically supported it, but there was no panic that get out now or it's all lost, and other's probably just said, "sucks to be you, you know I can get some cheap coin". No snowballing fractional reserve panic. 3) When not held on exchanges each person can be his own bank and 4) To your point, each miner is their own tiny little Federal Reserve as opposed to a single monopoly "governing" money supply for whole nations.

If no one believes it to be worth using bitcoin fails, and that is the great effort being put forth by bankers now, to destroy its reputation and attack its security. I have to realistically think it is a long shot, however, it has an advantage in that even in transferring back and forth to conventional fiat, it is cheaper for merchants to use then credit cards, this will be even more so if people just start directly accepting bitcoin. That is why the most important metric to my mind is the rate of adoption by merchants, that makes it a true currency, not an arbitrage play. I was also wondering when there might be a geographical focal point of activity, I was thinking maybe Cyprus. Well again, one month after coming into its existence a community has valued Auroracoin's monetary policy enough such that the March 25th distribution to all citizens of Iceland will possibly be in excess of $2500. I find it astonishing, not a darn thing for the most part in the MSM, and I should shut up about it myself because I've already thought how I'd attack it. If it works people may just start asking why the heck are we still being played by the Royal Scam.

Finally, there is the technical end of can bitcoin really be secure, I don't know, I don't know much about cryptography, but after avoiding it for a year, I'm darn sure now that technically it is no joke and almost certainly has some banker type people sweating over it. Here's hoping their concerns are justified.
    Long Live Bitcoin!
    Last edited by ZPDM; 03-05-2014, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Z

The gold standard before Nixon took us off was 330 an ounce I believe.... there are good reasons why he took us off (ask the French about silver certificates) but still fiat currency causes inflation because the money supply can be manipulated. look at the M1, M2 and M3 (velocity of money) bernanke and his protoges are now destroying our economy with a printing press. Weimar republic here we come.

Beans Bullets Band aids
      Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

The one I've heard is God, Guns, Gold and Generators. Hell yeah. While I believe in the bitcoin idea, practically I'm not pushing it and have no idea, I'm a doctor damn it, not some crypto-software-engineer. But I think if the encryption can't be broken, the bitcoin monetary supply can't be manipulated, and if it's Wiemar Republic here we come, you maybe add bitcoin to the the beans, bullets and band-aids.
        Z

Comment

Just real quick, my understanding of how bitcoin is a validated "thing". So my understanding is you can use public key cryptography (don't understand how) to say someone is electronically sending a thing and validate it, this is how credit card transactions are validated, that it is actually the person's credit card being sent not something else. However, the thing exists electronically, unless there is a centrally controlled ledger, you couldn't stop one person from sending it, the thing, a thousand times in ten seconds to a thousand people, unless Visa with their ledger said you have already spent all money on that card and cannot double spend it. How can you send something electronically and not allow it to be double spent without a central authority? This is what Satoshi Nakamota solved. He did it by breaking up, quantizing if you like, the transactions into discrete blocks. Every five minutes or so a block of transactions gets locked down to be unchangeable, again through cryptography. It is as simple as that. And, though it is not normally allowable through a wallet, even if one sent multiple transactions in a single 5 minute block, all "miners" compare their copy of the transaction ledger at the time the block is locked down and only allow through the single transaction which has reached the most miners. Hence no double spending.

What I don't understand is that the miners are searching for some sort of cryptography key, like an Easter egg. When one finds, whatever this key is, it is broadcast to all miners (peer-to-peer) to stop searching compare the ledger and lock it down. That's my technical understanding of how bitcoin works, I may be wrong but I think I am in the ball park. Now that I think of it I'll try and post this on a bitcoin forum and let you know what I hear back.

Comment

Oh and a couple more things, once this Satoshi cat had solved the problem of making electronic transactions without a centralized ledger he thought about money supply. So he said whenever a miner finds an Easter egg, to lock down a block of transactions they are rewarded with some bitcoins. Then he set it up 1) so that the reward of bitcoins would gradually decrease in time 2) that no matter how many people were looking for the Easter egg, the hunt would adjust so that each block of transactions occurred in the same amount of time and finally 3) that miners would also get a cut of all transactions of every bitcoin sent, so that once their were enough transactions occurring it wouldn't matter that there were no more bitcoins being made from mining.

It is to my mind scary smart, and as I get a bit older now, I realize smart doesn't always or even often work real well in this world, but I think what that kid did is one hell of an idea.

Comment

Last thing promise
              http://motherboard.vice.com/read/wor...t-in-the-world

Comment

if there is no WWW or power grid how do you spend it?

Comment

Alright Tom, if an EMP knocks out the world's power grid I'll have an egg on my face about bitcoin. It is not a survival plan, but just may mitigate some difficulties between communities. Just because it is "The End" doesn't always have to mean it is "The End" for the good guys. Here, here is some Chuck Mangione to enjoy
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWhNWop3g_Y
                  Last edited by ZPDM; 03-06-2014, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Z,

first let me say i completely agree with you on bitcoin in most aspects, but to me its just another non tangible asset that can be traded (hopefully) for a tangible asset. so once your tangibles are set up for good self care, mine away!! but dont count on a crypto currency to make you "really" wealthy.... that only comes form a good piece of dirt, tha ability to grow your own food, and make your own power. I tend to look for redundancies in any thing I am "counting on"

Tom C

Comment

Wealth is not just in having things either, but quality of life, joy within, and hope for promised grace. Crypto currency could very well be a tool to usher in the 1 world currency. Fits nicely as a puzzle piece in that respect. And with this post I become a "senior member" of an exclusive club of bedinites. Aln

Comment

FYI: Bitcoin exchange CEO found dead in Singapore

"The 28-year-old American boss of a Bitcoin exchange has been found dead at the base of a Singapore apartment block... Autumn Radtke, chief executive of Singapore-based First Meta, on February 26.."

bangkokpost.com/news/asia/398510/bitcoin-exchange-ceo-found-dead-in-singapore

Comment

Originally posted by ckurtz View Post
                          FYI: Bitcoin exchange CEO found dead in Singapore

"The 28-year-old American boss of a Bitcoin exchange has been found dead at the base of a Singapore apartment block... Autumn Radtke, chief executive of Singapore-based First Meta, on February 26.."

http://bangkokpost.com/news/asia/398...d-in-singapore
                          Saw that a couple days ago - just edited the quote above to make link clickable.

That makes about 10 or so bankers that have "committed suicide" since January - all from regular banks, etc... so definitely not something just against bitcoin.

I think they're being assiassinated because they might have info on the possible upcoming currency reset and want to keep a lid on it.
                          Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

The real Satoshi Nakamoto: http://mag.newsweek.com/2014/03/14/b...-nakamoto.html
                            Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Tom,

I entirely agree with you on the distinction between money and wealth. I also applaud your efforts on getting people thinking along these lines, to date I haven't done much there but I do hope over the next couple years that will start to change. The Spanish had the term Hacienda, as a homestead self-sufficient in every thing but luxuries. I have to suspect that with all the technological advances, setting up a Hacienda should be more easily achievable than anytime in recent history, there is just so much BS going on that keeps people distracted.

Comment

Bitcoin Update: This looks very bad to me.

I keep writing off bitcoin in my opinion and it keeps sticking around, that said I heard the first really good technological objection to it, which would also if valid, hamstring all other cryptos. So I try to keep up on the news in this area and was reading some comments. There was a guy where every third comment was his over probably hundreds of comments the problem was he was also knowledgeable and his objections made sense. I'm not a software programmer and I only half understand bitcoin but I have no response to this objection. What he said was, to paraphrase from memory, "well it will be inexpensive to take down bitcoin, all you will need is to have someone send say 50,000 valid one dollar transactions to someone else who as soon as they get them sends them back and it continues back and forth." This ties up the block chain and so any valid merchant transactions might now take a day to go through instead of 10 minutes. For every valid merchant transaction there would be a hundred one dollar "nonsense" transactions that would need to be processed and this could be kept up indefinitely at little cost. If bitcoin can't function as a means of exchange between customer and merchant it can't function as a currency. As the commenter noted the Peer-to-Peer part now becomes the weakness, i.e there is no central authority to say, "block those transactions". Even if a group came together to say block transactions from a particular wallet, I imagine they could put it in a "tumbler" and easily have the transactions come from 50,000 different wallets. Block the IP? Well they could use TOR or something like it to spoof thousands of different IP addresses. Again I'm not a programmer and may be missing something but that sure sounds like it would work to me, and it would work for Litecoin, Teslacoin etc. To be rather weird, I thought I heard way, way, way in the back of my mind concerning bitcoin 2-3 weeks ago, "We got'em". This may just be cowardly doubt as I don't claim to be a seer, or hearer for that matter, but it looks just to be a little cat and mouse game for awhile with cryptos going forward, and whatever the outcome, I think this objection is what I heard. I hope bitcoin prospers, a non fractional reserve non interest charging currency available to much of the world would likely do astonishing good, but when I look at this objection it looks like they got'em.

P.S. I imagine one way I might suspect they more likely have a valid technological attack is if there are suddenly no longer a dozen articles a day along the lines of "Hilter's pedophile drug pusher's only ones to use bitcoin." If that happens I'll likely cash out entirely with whatever I got.

P.P.S Should have some funds for energy projects this spring Problem is I have like 50 I want to do, but this time I am going to go slow, maybe even map things out on CAD, first. Right now I am thinking about that, ah I'm blanking on the name, ***anese name for a magnetic motor that Tom Bearden almost got to market. Many many thanks to Bedini, Bearden and many many others for helping me with looking at nature.
                                Last edited by ZPDM; 03-11-2014, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X