This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wei View Post
    ordered mine today from spice sage. now to find the 9 or 5 hydrate, it is expensive!

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

• I think most spice suppliers are offering Aluminum potassium sulfate (KAl(SO4)2·12H2O), a different type of Alum than Ammonium aluminium sulfate (NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O) which is what we want to use right? I want to make sure I'm getting the right type of Alum for a lead alum battery.

Comment

• Unsolved types

Originally posted by bxcyted View Post
        I think most spice suppliers are offering Aluminum potassium sulfate (KAl(SO4)2·12H2O), a different type of Alum than Ammonium aluminium sulfate (NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O) which is what we want to use right? I want to make sure I'm getting the right type of Alum for a lead alum battery.
        Yes u right the links show both:
        Alum Powder - Used for Pickling, baking and as a preservative - My Spice Sage ("Alum Baking Powder
        ") also termed KAl(SO4)2.12H2O
        and Alum Powder — Leaveners & Thickeners — Cooking & Baking — Nuts.com ("aluminum sulfate")
        and add this to the mix: Alum - What Is Alum? - Alum Facts
        But the link misses important info the Alum is also used to lower soil pH.

The Straight Dope: What is alum, and will it make someone's mouth shrink, like in the cartoons?
        says it is "Cake alum, pickle alum, filter alum, papermaker's alum and pearl alum are other common names of aluminum sulfate,"

So you see the more you read the less you know in this case. I think "Aluminum Sulfate or Sulphate" is the right stuff, seems no one has the "Ammonium aluminium sulfate", maybe they are all the same! at least they look alike.

Comment

• Here is a link to a company that sells the right stuff
          Taxidermy Supplies - Jonas Supply the leader in taxidermy supplies.

Originally posted by machinationus View Post
          Yes u right the links show both:
          Alum Powder - Used for Pickling, baking and as a preservative - My Spice Sage ("Alum Baking Powder
          ") also termed KAl(SO4)2.12H2O
          and Alum Powder — Leaveners & Thickeners — Cooking & Baking — Nuts.com ("aluminum sulfate")
          and add this to the mix: Alum - What Is Alum? - Alum Facts
          But the link misses important info the Alum is also used to lower soil pH.

The Straight Dope: What is alum, and will it make someone's mouth shrink, like in the cartoons?
          says it is "Cake alum, pickle alum, filter alum, papermaker's alum and pearl alum are other common names of aluminum sulfate,"

So you see the more you read the less you know in this case. I think "Aluminum Sulfate or Sulphate" is the right stuff, seems no one has the "Ammonium aluminium sulfate", maybe they are all the same! at least they look alike.

Comment

• Is this the hydrate 5?
            Copper (II) Sulfate 5-Hydrate | WARD'S Natural Science

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian McNece View Post
              Here is a link to a company that sells the right stuff
              Taxidermy Supplies - Jonas Supply the leader in taxidermy supplies.
              They have Aluminum Sulfate and Ammonium Alum which is the right one? They don't show the ingredients, but price is right.

Ammonium Alum is what we want?
              Last edited by machinationus; 10-14-2012, 05:21 PM. Reason: add

Comment

• I got the ammonium alum and it works well. I actually ask the lady on the phone what the makeup is and she said it is ammonium aluminum sulfate
                Originally posted by machinationus View Post
                They have Aluminum Sulfate and Ammonium Alum which is the right one? They don't show the ingredients, but price is right.

Ammonium Alum is what we want?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wei View Post
                  Howdy,
                  From Johns video he shows what chemicals he used.
                  The Hydrate 5 from the video was called : Sodium Metasilicate Pentahydrate
                  I rewatched that part of the Video, he is using tech grade, i got mine on ebay and purity not mentioned...going to contact seller...rats thought i was more though than that..

Comment

• Later I will be posting a video that I think will help in how I chose the PH for the cells. I used Alum Sodium Carbonate and SO4 to change the PH of the cells The Mix Must be done in a separate container because of the reaction. I will be showing the colors from the strips. The Video will take a long time and may do it tomorrow.
                    John Bedini
                    My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

• That's great John...I think that will really help. My PH strips arrived today...will be taking a reading shortly.

I accidentally reverse charged my alum battery all day with the RC-2A12. It's standing at negative 11.83 right now haha. Oops! Very hot.

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
                      Later I will be posting a video that I think will help in how I chose the PH for the cells. I used Alum Sodium Carbonate and SO4 to change the PH of the cells The Mix Must be done in a separate container because of the reaction. I will be showing the colors from the strips. The Video will take a long time and may do it tomorrow.

Comment

• I noticed today an interesting effect. Bedini has shown that in his videos but nothing like you doing yourself and finding it out too.

I have this cell that has been pretty much crystallized even though it was inside a cup with a substantial liquid inside, lots of particles of the Alum mix settled at the bottom of the cup while transparent water filled the cup. This is the cell in one of my videos running long tests or charge and discharge.

I added to this first cell another one so that I could run a better experiment with two cells together. I am running them in series and the new cell has not been formed. I wanted to see the relationship that would develop and if the internal dynamic resistance of the cell would play a beneficial part in the performance during, again, the same kind of load tests I already have done.

Performance was horrible. For the very next test, I removed them both from the cups and located them at a clean cup, both there. No liquids around the cells anymore.

New performance is excellent. Older cell melted all its crystal and formed a little pool inside the new cup. New cell is very wet too and no visible crystals yet.

Fausto.

Comment

• Hi All,

After discharging to 1 volt or less, I left my 4Ah battery shorted for about 8 days while I was on vacation. The results are that the battery is ruined. It is internally shorted through 4 of it's 6 cells, it must have grown 'tites" between the plates and having drained them, rinsed them, the shorts are still there. So short of opening up the battery (mess to do in a condo) I might just chunk it. My large battery is doing just fine, just topped it off with the Radiant Charger and am now doing another discharge on it to see how it is holding up. Then I might take it down and replace the LA battery on my pontoon boat with the ALUM battery and see how it works in the real world.

Lots went on while I was gone!

Ben K4ZEP

Comment

• Alum in Australia

For the Australians, I finally got a quote back from a local company that can supply Alum. The price is AU$750 for 25kg plus shipping from NSW to VIC which is $42. At $30/kg I think this priice is way over the top but if you are interested, let me know.

John K.

Comment

• Which grade is that one, John? I can get technical grade for $55 for 25kg as well as the highest BP grade for $88.75 per kg for 5kg... both through my work... only $20 internal freight for the latter, good supply on hand of the former; no freight costs.

Comment

• Hey Barrie,

Tech grade apparently, don't know why it was so much but the lady I spoke to didn't have much of a clue. Is the BP grade $88.75 per kg or for 5kg? If so can you get me some and ship it over to Melbourne?

John K.

Comment

Working...
                                X