Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get more HUMPH! from your battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get more HUMPH! from your battery?

Hello! I have been running my 5 filar SG device (1 trigger + 4 transistors with 18 gauge wire 150 feet Litzed) for over 1 month now. I did not do any COP testing yet. At this moment I am more interested in bringing dead battery back to life. I am running my SG with a big motorcycle battery (Harley Davidson type). At the end of the day this battery is put back on its own smart charger.

So far I have brought back to life 3 dead batteries. Batteries that my intelligent charger and also my no frills charger could not even detect.

-The first one was a dead Harley Davidson battery ($250.... )
    -The second one is the lousy battery of my riding mower who could not keep a charge at all even after 2 hours of lawn mowing.
    -The last one is my first riding mower battery who was dead and left in the shed for the last 6 years. The cells were still moist, but you could see the top of the plates sticking out of the acid. For this one I try the saturated solution of boiling distilled water mix with Epson Salt to top off the cells. This seems to work.

For the load to test the battery, I am using a 12 volt car tail light bulb, I do not know the wattage. I am letting the battery charge for a day or 2 until they read around 14 volts, then I let them rest for a day. They stabilize at around 12.9 volts. I put the load on them. At the beginning the batteries would drop to less than 8 volts within 30 seconds. After one months doing this almost daily they last about 1 hour before they go down to about 10 volts.

I made the same test with my driving battery and after 1 hour it was still reading 12.4 volts from where it started at 12.9 volts.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am pretty amazed I was able to bring back these batteries from the dead at all. When in all logic they should have been sent to the recycling bin a long time ago. I estimate the ZOMBY batteries, if I can call them such, are about half as strong or maybe less than my driving battery. I will continue to do these cycles in the hope they will get even stronger. Is there something more I could do to help them gain more vigor yet?
    Last edited by Fraulein; 12-17-2012, 08:10 PM.
Working...
X