No announcement yet.

Quick Electrolysis Related Observation

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Quick Electrolysis Related Observation

    Been looking a little at electrolysis, limited as I sometimes to often am by a lack of engineering background. This is a small observation, not likely new to the elders and grand poobahs of FE/electrolysis but I've thought about it for awhile and have decided yes it is weird. If you take two plates in water say stainless steel and charge them radiantly or otw for HHO production, when you disconnect the power source the plates retain a residual voltage. It is persistent and reminds me of what you see when caps rebound after being charged then discharged.

    I'll mention a couple things about it, after running two plates with say a 4V plate to plate difference a residual voltage of maybe 0.2 - 0.3 volts persisted. I shorted the plates, when I removed the short the voltage returned, I hooked a cap up, it went to 0.2V and the plates retained the voltage. One reason I find it interesting is that I have seen this voltage persist overnight and the plates were not in the water if I recall, the effect seems to be in the plates and is brought out in the water. I think this occurrence, might bet a glass of water, is related to Ibepointless2's captret, I suspect it is related to caps rebounding, and is possibly related to some of the charging phenomena with pulsed radiant to SLABs. I haven't been real good at staying on topic historically and don't know if I will do more with this but the obvious, I guess, questions if I look further are 1) how long does it take to establish this "electret" effect in the plates, 1/2 hour, 5 seconds? 2) How long does it persist when repeatedly discharged, 30 seconds, 12 hours? It may even relate to earth batteries and ley lines as I think and write. 3) can I use an inductor to get the 0.2 - 0.3V to 2 or 3 volts?. 4) can I get the residual voltage up to 0.5 - 1V?

    Will try and take at least a quick look this week.
    Last edited by ZPDM; 06-25-2015, 02:21 AM.

  • #2
    I've done a decent amount with this at this point. I have a video which I will try to post over the week-end of charging plates radiantly in water, disconnecting power then using the residual plates' voltage as power and radiantly charging a cap. Using say a 6V input I was able to get a cap to say 7-8V this way. The plates would charge to say 4V plate - plate difference and settle at maybe 1.2V disconnected and there were enough amps there to run a coil briefly. A few things here, 1) I don't know how radiantly charging plates compares to standard electrolysis approaches, I have heard it may be better (Patrick Kelly) but I am not electrolysis guy at least at this time and I have two plates of stainless steel in a gallon water jug, so I don't know. 2) Will say I am running 10-12 watts through a 3055, no heatsink and it is cool as a cucumber, left the plates disconnected by accident and fried the transistor in a second. Go figure! 3) Need to look at what happens when electrolyte is introduced (I'm thinking sodium ascorbate ), will the residual plate voltage behave in similar manner, I'm optimistic because I imagine caps and SLABS don't have tap water but haven't looked at that yet.

    Surprisingly to me, I did manage to automate this process. Will look to make a vid but in Arduino there were used two different FOR loops. First to pulse the plates from the coil say 5000 times, then a second trigger flipping to the second FOR loop triggering the coil say 5000 times from the residual voltage of plates. Additionally 3-4 other lines need to be made/broken as you switch between the two states. I used separate Arduino triggers for each make/break line and found I needed to optoisolate them for it to work, but eventually it did. Once, again to my surprise, I got it to work, I backed off from it, I was just happy I made the thing work. Real rough sort of eyeballing it I think I was getting maybe 50-75% energy back. After letting this simmer a week or so I think I will return to it over the next few weeks. If the thing behaves similarly with electrolyte present, there is a possibility, though there are lots of variables still not evaluated, that this is a decent means of electrolysis.

    Will try and post the video of where I first got interested over the week-end and perhaps if I get the automated version running again can post further video/schematics/Arduino programs if any wish.


    • #3
      Haven't done more on the above project at this time but thought I would pass along one small electrolysis observation, it may be nothing, so much of this sort of stuff is just hard for me to quantify. Perhaps I should make a video but is seems too much work at the moment. If you have +/- electrolysis plates and you replace the + with a ribbon, most of the negative plate still makes bubbles. Again, I can't at the moment formally quantify it, but there is a field effect from the ribbon which covers much of the negative plate. The problem I have, and again this is just eyeballing it I don't have a spectrometer, there seems to be more bubbles off the negative plate than the positive. It doesn't look stoichametrically (there's a three dollar word) balanced. I tried to say well the pos. plate/ribbon splits into H and O then recombines into water because it has only a small place to go to, but well ... that doesn't make any sense. There seems to be more bubbles off the negative plate than the positive ribbon, I don't know how it would balance. Anyhow, at first glance it appears if you wish to bias production towards H you can just make the + plate smaller. Haven't looked at the obverse yet but that may also hold true, and as this is quite recent may take a few days to confirm