X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.W.A.N.O.
    replied
    fwanoFWANOfwanoFWANOfwano
    Last edited by F.W.A.N.O.; 02-28-2017, 09:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RS_
    replied
    Hi,

Just found this thread.........

here is the standard Bedini Comparator Inverted Cap Pulser Sch....

works very good, you should give it a try.......
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• F.W.A.N.O.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    Originally posted by F.W.A.N.O. View Post
    Hi Faraday88,
    thanks for the compliments and reassurance, i hope the mosfets will hold (they look kinda fake - my fault, should have ordered the ones listed as genuine and may
    have to do so at a later date).

I matched them for Vgs at about 0,5 amp and again at something like 0,8 amp current. I'm curious if they should be matched at higher currents for use in a cap pulser.

Recently, i've had my own encounter with blown things, only it was not without glow (not my fault though) - nasty white sparking (more like fire) on the stuck brushes
    of a forklift motor which scorched the commutator made me spend hours in uncomfortable positions before i filed it all clean - unfortunately the owner thought it would be
    a good idea to wash an ELECTRIC forklift with a water-jet washer - and it was not the first time he did that either. Well done...

Regards,
    f.w.a.n.o.
    Hi F.W.A.N.O,
    Yes MOSFETs are meant for cap dump purpose, you need to match them for equal current sharing or else one shall become a path of stress and soon blow out..!! these being Voltage controlled devices are relatively simpler compared to the Bipolar Transistors. they are pretty fast also..
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.

Leave a comment:

• F.W.A.N.O.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    photos (not so good) of the (yet unfinished) cap pulser - i know i'm not a speed champion, but
    here it is, hope to finish and test it very soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5454[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5455[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5456[/ATTACH]

regards,
    f.w.a.n.o.
    Hi f.w.a.n.o,

Good work as always! Remember....'Anything in haste will rest in waste.... Anything that is too slow will blow with out glow'' the second one implies to me I have learnt that of late.. so keep up the right pace which you are already at and leave the rest to fate''
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.

Leave a comment:

• F.W.A.N.O.
    replied
    Last edited by F.W.A.N.O.; 02-28-2017, 09:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• F.W.A.N.O.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• F.W.A.N.O.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    Hello Faraday88,

That unit (i suppose you mean the high voltage generator) already is a terrific ozone generator.
    I use it with a big neon indicator or with a heavily insulated metal electrode to sterilize
    skin cuts and scratches, for muscle pain relief and simply for energizing my body when i don't
    feel all that well.

At lower power settings it creates a fine UV plasma curtain between the electrode
    and skin and the ozone smell on the skin will persist for hours.

The schematic is about the same as the one on page 40 of "The Lakhovsky Multiwave Oscillator Handbook"
    (1994, fourth revised edition), only with a few differences: a car ignition coil in place of the flyback
    transformer, a HV diode from ignition coil secondary to HV capacitor and the spark gap is placed on the low side
    of the tesla coil primary (a bit like the low side switching in the SG circuits and cap pulsers).

About the gate turn off thyristor (GTO) - i tried the cap pulser with a conventional SCR and zener and
    it starts conducting before the cap is fully charged unless i slow down the rotor with my hand, so when
    the rotor is slow enough, the pulser will do the job.

Literature suggests that the pulses from my motors could be too fast, so, in that regard (dV/dT runaway),
    a GTO could behave just the same as an ordinary SCR and may be better suited for the bicycle wheel SG
    or other large diameter and/or slower pulsing motors.

By the way, these are my first experiments with cap pulsing, and since i don't have any GTOs handy, i was about to order some off ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Philips...AAAOSws4JW7sTV

(10 amps continuous, 50 amps anode controllable, 100 amps non-repetitive peak current - these seemed affordable, otherwise
    GTOs tend to be quite massive and expensive units), but after the above mentioned test i ended up ordering a batch of IRFP260
    mosfets so i can build the mosfet/comparator cap pulser - with that one the pulse speed won't matter.

Another thing about GTOs is very low gain so heavy mosfets or BJTs would probably be a need to switch the gate properly
    at large current spikes from the capacitor and, besides that, i don't know if the use of a GTO with a fast pulsing motor
    would solve the dV/dT runaway, but if anyone reading these posts has a GTO handy and is willing to try it in a cap pulser,
    i would, of course, also be very glad to hear about the results (especially when used with fast pulses from a motor/energizer).

Thank you for the feedback, i will put more photos in an album, sorry i won't be trying the GTO at this time,
    i may be wrong but i feel like the mosfet pulser may be more suitable to my motors.

Regards,
    f.w.a.n.o.
    Hi F.W.A.N.O,

Ozone with High-Frequency High-Voltage is synonymous..a bit Clairvoyant as well..it brings Tesla back in Time!!! a dozen of more Experiments to try out.. bubbling Olive Oil with Ozone has medicinal effects.. the after smell of Ozone... improves memory and creates reminiscence of forgotten times..more of a Paranormal nature...Sorry that's all my personal beliefs.. anyways great to here from you on trials using the GTO device.. as you rightly said..MOSFETs and IGBTs would be preferred over this..
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.

Leave a comment:

• F.W.A.N.O.
    replied
    Last edited by F.W.A.N.O.; 02-28-2017, 09:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• F.W.A.N.O.
    replied
    Last edited by F.W.A.N.O.; 02-28-2017, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    Been reading threads about cap pulser / cap dump circuits and i wonder about
    the use of forced SCR commutation (similar to coil shorting) in a cap dump circuit
    or perhaps a standard comparator circuit with a GATE TURN OFF THYRISTOR in place of mosfets.

Has anyone ever tried this kind of setup?

Here's a link to onsemi's PDF about forced SCR commutation:
    http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/AND8030-D.PDF

And here's a picture of a gate turn off thyristor drive circuit:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5224[/ATTACH]

Could this solve the high current demands (to eliminate the need for matched mosfets and heatsinking)
    and the latch-up issue that the standard SCR's exhibit in a cap dump circuit?

regards
    f.w.a.n.o.
    Good thought.. try it out ..remember to report it ..
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    Hi Faraday88,

that was a really quick reply, thank you for the compliments.

I haven't made a lot of measurements but i guess parameters
    would include operating voltages (10 - 18 volts for both motors),
    coils' DC resistance (window motor = 2.8 ohms, SSG = 3.3 ohms),
    haven't measured speeds or currents (will do and post the results),
    up to now i've been just playing around with the motors to see if there
    is any charging effect on batteries (which there is).

Most of the time i ran the motors with a power supply paralleled with
    a big electrolytic cap (6800 uF / 75 Vdc), although a battery (12V / 7 Ah)
    makes them spin up quite a bit faster but i didn't want to drain it a lot.

OU properties? Unknown, never tried parallelling the charging batteries so i can't tell
    if it would charge four or five of them from the one running it, i need to make the cap
    pulser so i can swap the batteries and i don't own much measuring equipment
    (a few universal multimeters and a Hameg frequency counter with one channel busted -
    one more thing waiting for me to be fixed).

The only kind of oscilloscope so far was the "pc soundcard scope" program which i
    sometimes use to test simple audio signals on equipment people bring me to fix or modify
    for them (hi-fi and guitar amps and effects, microphones, mixers, turntables and so on)
    and lots of other wondrous things which include forklifts, hot air tools, old tube radios,
    laptops, LCD displays and small household appliances - various stuff which would
    probably end up on a junkyard if i didn't fix it for dirt cheap and make the owners
    happy just because they are mostly my friends.

What other parameters would you be interested in? Please let me know and i'll
    (try to) measure them and post the results.

Education-wise, i'm an electronics techincian with quite some practical experience
    and little interest in highly complex engineering stuff.

Employment-wise, i'm currently (for the last 12 years or so) unemployed,
    or self-employed, performing the above mentioned repairs and/or modifications
    and engaging in an electronic construction project from time to time
    (if you wish i can post some photos of those, too, eventhough they are
    not really alternative energy projects, with the exception of the Lakhovsky MWO / tesla coil
    maybe - photos below - too bad i don't have the funds to make the ring antennas).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5213[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5214[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5215[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5216[/ATTACH]

Here's a photo of a previous version of the window motor (optics+BJTs BDX53c and 54c)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5217[/ATTACH]

regards
    f.w.a.n.o.
    Hi F.W.A.N.O,

Hats off for your neat and skilled work pal!..you could make a good Ozone Generator with that unit..
    Best Regards,
    Faraday88.

Leave a comment:

• F.W.A.N.O.
    replied
    Last edited by F.W.A.N.O.; 02-28-2017, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X