Double window motor/generator build journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double window motor/generator build journal

Hi again, Thanks to all who have given pointers in other threads...time to start building! The main idea i am going for in this build is to have a setup with two "window" coils with a magnet for each one. between the two magnets I want to mount an aluminum "transmission" something like the sketchup picture. JB has a window machine running with a ball in it as the rotor. to turn the fan as a load he brings the aluminum closer or further from the magnets...T/F the eddie currents are a form of variable transmision with magnetism instead of gears. So i will have one window motor as a motor wich will spin and aluminum flywheel/transmission that will cause the generating coils magnet to spin. I am thinking this would allow me to change the load/generator by changing the distance between the magnets and the aluminum. If I am thinking correctly that is!

For one of the coils, just because I can change the coil easily and want to try something , i am going to wind it using flat copper tape that is used to fix solder traces. It is 1/2 inch wide (no idea of thickness) but when i compare feet with resistance it is on par with a 23 awg wire. I have 165 feet of it wich ends up at 3.3 ohms so what i am going to do is wind it and measure resistance along the way and put a tap wire into the coil at 1-2 and 3 ohms so that I have one coil that I can pick the resistance of. The coil frame is almost right on 3"x 3" (3/16 off in one direction) so theoretically every foot should give me one full turn...so the 2 ohm coil should be only about 100 turns. So i may have an amp hog...but i am looking to see if the coil being wrapped as a tesla pancake coil with every flat turn of copper tape is exactly in line with the next turn. But like i said if that doesn't work i can just slide the magnet into a different coil frame.

I was not thinking of a timing disc when i built this so instead of putting more magnets i may try to use an optical reader and a disc with notches hopefully i can put that in there and not interfere with the magnetism. i figure using a disc like that could make timing easier because you just cut the notches where you want the on-time.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150301_113244.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	51222Click image for larger version

Name:	motor.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	51223

ran out of scotch tape yesterday winding the coil...the copper is bare so i am insulating each layer, but i am back at it today. I am going to catalog all the components I am going to use ...just for good science

470 ohm Resistors- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    220 ohm Resistors- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2.2k ohm and 1k Resistors - http://www.radioshack.com/50-piece-1...art=1&tab=tab2

Hall sensor (using 3144) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    NPN Transistor-http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    PNP Transistor- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    (ordered 50 of each so I can beta match and have spares)
    Rotor Magnets-http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

here is what the coil looks like so far.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150302_111142.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	46953

Comment

coil update

This thing is taking for ever ...so far I have the 1 and 2 ohm taps in the 1 ohm is only 42 turns and the 2 ohm is at 85. I don't think I have enough turns to make this thing efficient this way so i may need to order more, but i didn't do all this for nothing, used 5-6 entire scotch tape rolls just to get to 100 turns...now i am out again with another 50 or so turns to go . So i am going to continue and fiddle with it as a power coil and gen once my 3055s' and 2995s' get here. always a waiting game of some sort!
      Attached Files

Comment

Name:	IMG_20150303_170920.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	46956its coming together. with all the copper on i got a total of 140 turns and it ended up at 4 ohms. (must have measure wrong before) anyways...just to see i put a AA battery from the negative end to the 4ohm end tab. It jumped quite a bit more than I was expecting so i can aparently run this thing at 1.5 volts wil be looking into that later! anyone know of a simple one hall circuit that i can at least spin this thing with untill the real parts get here. I know it wont be efficient but i have spare 3055s' laying around and a few 3020s'. just want to see what kind of speed to voltage ration i am working with on this thing.

Comment

I have used this circuit http://www.feelthevibe.com/free_ener...edini/s1gt.jpg but with other trannys, I used 2 pnp bdc242c and 1 npn bdc243c and 1 hall.

Comment

Thanks again alvaro...been busy last few days. i fired the first circuit I tried in like 2 minutes, I tried holding the hall in with my hand and the magnet pulled it and the components attached in...sparks! so i am just going to wait till my power transistors come. I did not realize when I ordered them that they are coming from china and will take about month and a half for shipping.
            on the other hand i used my dremel to spin the rotor up to somewhere around 400-500 rpm and it output 5v and .7 amps...so as a generator its not to bad thanks for the help...will post more updates soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashlee Anne Malone View Post
              Thanks again alvaro...been busy last few days. i fired the first circuit I tried in like 2 minutes, I tried holding the hall in with my hand and the magnet pulled it and the components attached in...sparks! so i am just going to wait till my power transistors come. I did not realize when I ordered them that they are coming from china and will take about month and a half for shipping.
              on the other hand i used my dremel to spin the rotor up to somewhere around 400-500 rpm and it output 5v and .7 amps...so as a generator its not to bad thanks for the help...will post more updates soon.
              Hi Ashlee, was the circuit "on" for too long? mine doesn't even get warm, but my power coil have a lot of resistance, a lot...

Alvaro

Comment

Hey. I use the facebook button to log in and i log in when my wife is on facebook and post stuff in her name on accident ....that post was me. But what happened was I didn't make a circuit board I just twisted and solder the wires together where they needed to be connected. when the magnet pulled in the hall it pulled the wires and the mess onto the magnet shorting the circuit in multiple places. by the time I disconnected the battery the circuit was done for. So i am just going to wait and do it right when the parts get here. I still have another coil to wind anyways and i decided i am going with 2 strands in parallel that are 196 feet. Measured them out to be 8 ohms each so in parallel should give me 4 ohms which would mach the other coil I built.

Comment

Bradley then!

Comment

Been messing with something kind of interesting and thought I would share. While I was grinding the shaft to fit the bearings i have i decided to save the filings and play around a bit. I have seen many cases where people use filings to show the magnetic lines and such but i have never seen anyone do it with a "moving" magnet. I have the rotor magnet that i am using for this window motor...first thing is if i hold the magnet horizontal underneeth the fillings and rotate it backwards towards me the filings cartwheel "away" and when the top of the magnet is rotated away the filings cartwheel towards me. also you can see them squeeze in to the width of the magnet then once they leave the other side the spread out. if you find the right distance away from the filings you can cause two vortexes at the ends where filings spread out ...loop around... and come back in the other side. also when I put the shaft vertically right underneath filings if I spin the magnet clockwise the filings spiral counterclockwise and they also form a ring around the edge and a ball in the center (reminded me of an atom) ...any filings that reach the central ball spin the way the magnet is spinning but while they are coming in towards the center they spiral in the opposite direction!! Any opinions on this would be appreciated

Comment

Name:	h Johnson votrex in a vortex.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	46964

Picture from the book "The Secret World of Magnets" by Howard Johnson

Ken Wheeler has much to say about it. His book is refrenced and linked to on the notes on Erfinders comments thread under alternative energy.
                      Al

Comment

second coil done.

Just an update on progress. I got the second coil wound. it ended up being 200 turns of bifilar #26 wire. each measures 8ohms but in parallel they measure 4 so it matches the other coil I built. I also made a flywheel...i took a base from a vcr motor (which is not balanced at all) and i filled the cavity with hot glue which allowed me cut and melt the glue as i needed to balance it. I don't mean to toot my own horn but for a hot glue flywheel...the thing spins pretty darn true up to at least 5000, I spun it up with my dremel and only had a minor shake. I did not want much metal around so I used the wire out of twist ties to pull the coil away from the shaft. they are strong enough and if you double them over and run the ends through the loop created you can easily cinch down the coils nice and tight.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150310_160709.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	46965Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150310_160715.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	46966Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150310_160750.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	46967

Comment

Originally posted by aln View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]4521[/ATTACH]

Picture from the book "The Secret World of Magnets" by Howard Johnson

Ken Wheeler has much to say about it. His book is refrenced and linked to on the notes on Erfinders comments thread under alternative energy.
                          Al
                          Thanks ALN. i understand a lot of the vortex ideas. Honestly I think walter russells' is perfect. keep in mind it may be already understood and just seem wierd to me. But the thing that i found the most unusual is how everything moved "counter" to the way i rotated the magnet...it just seemed backwards! i'll try to make a video to better illustrate what i am talking about.

Comment

http://youtu.be/7mS0p-uJ3GA

Comment

update

Well when I put the magnet on the rotor it was off balance to one side so i have had to cut into the flywheel glue...can't even get it close to how balanced it so im stuck with what I have for now. I extended the shaft out to one side with a bearing support because along with the coils I want to test more on the attraction style motor I have a thread about. The bar on the end is attached to a set screw nut so i can spin it around for different timing and angles from the rotor magnet. what I want to try is use the window motor as normal but when the caps charge enough from the backspike i want to use that to pulse the attraction motor on the end.(thats why o moved the bearing further out). if the coil is not on then there should be no positive or negative force on the bar but when i pulse it it should add that energy to the rotor again and could even harvest the backspike of that maybe...we will see. anyways here are a few pics of it wired up to a very simple 3055 reed switch circuit running from a 5v 2a wall wart. (it needs far thess than 2 amps thats just what i had on hand.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150315_111647.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	46975Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150315_111710.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	46976)

Comment

Working...
                              X