Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT - Gas Discharge Tube or ~ instead NEONLIGTH

Hi
    what do you think (or know) what else replace in BEDINIG SSG neonlight with any GDT which starting current approximately 100v.

or second way : variable resistor + some LAMP (not neon, just lamp with filament) ?

100v is a bit too high.

Why do you not want to use a neon? Are you having trouble finding them?

If you can find a salvage place that has disposable camera's you can get a neon out of one. The indicator light that tells you when the flash is ready, it's a neon that lights when the charge capacitor has reached around 70v. Those are much smaller than what is typically used on a monopole but if in a pinch it is better than nothing.

I do not advise running without them but you know you can run the circuit without a neon. Just make sure and NEVER activate the circuit without your charge battery connected. Also be careful with junk batteries that may have too high of an impedance. The neon is only there as a safeguard for your transistor and is not active under normal operation.

Hope that helps----Bob
    Last edited by BobZilla; 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I said 100v bcs I heard in video`s J.Bedini where he said that neon started to light approximately from 100v, Of cause there exists Gas Discharge Tube with 70v,
      My question has investigation character "what if...."
      So as I understood I can safe transistors using GDT+ filament lamp ?
      Last edited by Andrei Nikitin; 09-18-2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroMikey
        Yes I think so.

Maybe the GDT will not melt off its wires?

I think GDT is bigger than neons.

Use it like a spark gap

I think you have a good Idea.
        Thanx! Nice to hear it, especially in case it will help us.

But also there is VARISTOR I think we can also try to use it, it has small size and working voltage up to kVolts.
        " Varistors are often used to protect circuits against excessive transient voltages by incorporating them into the circuit in such a way that, when triggered, they will shunt the current created by the high voltage away from sensitive components. A varistor is also known as Voltage Dependent Resistor or VDR. A varistor’s function is to conduct significantly increased current when voltage is excessive"
        But in this case I think we will not have simple light indication (which provide neon bulb).

Comment

Working...
        X