Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert bike wheel to use a shaft instead of bearings

Hello all,

This might seem simple to most, but I seem to have a dilemma as to how I can add a shaft to my bike wheel SSG that turns with the wheel instead of just the wheel spinning like a normal bike. I want to utilize the mechanical energy with teh shaft, like Bedini does with the large fan for example. Is there a trick to this or what? I can find shafts and bearings to add to the supports, but the shafts I have found don't exactly fit the wheel.

What have others done to accomplish this? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Chris

Hi Chris,

On the threaded shaft that goes through your wheel with the bearings, there should be a flat nut. If you grab it from both sides and tighten them towards each other, you will bind up the bearings so that the wheel will actually turn with the shaft going through it.

You will then need some shaft extension to screw onto the threads, which will go through bearings, but that is the easiest way to make the wheel spin with the shaft instead of around it.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
      Hi Chris,

On the threaded shaft that goes through your wheel with the bearings, there should be a flat nut. If you grab it from both sides and tighten them towards each other, you will bind up the bearings so that the wheel will actually turn with the shaft going through it.

You will then need some shaft extension to screw onto the threads, which will go through bearings, but that is the easiest way to make the wheel spin with the shaft instead of around it.

Oh man, this is so simple! Thank you for this! I knew there had to be some easy trick.

And BroMikey, thank you for the drawing, this helps me visualize what Aaron is saying.

Thanks guys!
      Chris

Comment

Working...
      X