No announcement yet.

Why SSG can charge Lead Acid Battery only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are determined to play with Li ion batteries please invest in a CO2 fire extinguisher! It rapidly cools the item it is pointed at. Is safe for electrical fires and will not provoke an explosion like water will and is the most likely to stop a runaway battery from becoming a house fire. Play safe boys!
    Not bad at cooling canned beer in an instant either

Comment

lithium ion.

Originally posted by freeenergy View Post
      It is interested that you can charge Lithium-Ion laptop battery. Could you please post your photo here to show how did you open the Lithium-Ion laptop battery and bybass the controller. Did you try to charge other type of batteries?

hi free energy.

My camera's in pieces at the moment but I'll put it back together and try and get some pictures for you.

The other batteries I've tried are normal non rechargable household batteries, alkaline probably being the most sucessful. Small 12v cells and 9v batteries infact one of the 9v batteries expired back in 2008 and has experienced a difficult life, I have noticed the voltage appears to drop over time however on low drain equipment like my meters they seem perfect when recharged and have been reused several times since.

Other batteries, my Ni/Mh mobile battery but again thats not really with charging in mind but more so
      rejuvenating as its about 6 years old now. Although I have only put that one across the circuit 3 times now I have noticed it appears to be retaining a more efficient voltage from my SSG. So after its third session on the SSG it lasted an extra 4 hours after it had died, that was last night.

The laptop case is only glued together, you can carefully pry it apart with a flat head screwdriver, score it with a knife first. I have used black electrical tape to seal it together afterwards, doesn't look too bad. I've tried other lithium batteries too, some very old ones, I tired them first. If something went wrong I didnt want to use my laptop battery as a guinne pig even if it was uesless to begin with.

I've found some other lithium batteries have leads that are obviously marked that you can use. Just take your meter first to check the top end voltage. Should be somewhere around 12 volts, but to be sure just remove your laptop battery from the laptop and measure across it once your laptop has charged it to 100% Dont go above that reading with your SSG. Use it as a benchmark.

I think its already been mentioned on here the reason you bypass the voltage controller is because if you attach your output of your SSG to it you'll damage it and your laptop wont be able to charge the battery anymore. It wont be able to handle the spikes, so just ignore it altogether.

You may be able to attach the ouput of your SSG leads directly to the cells depending on how the manufacturer has joined them together. I had to solder 1 lead to the positive cell and drilled a hole at the rear of the case for the wire to fit through. A second wire was out of the question on mine because of difficulties sliding the case in and out of the laptop. So I bent a piece of the metal from the negative side and I join the negative clip of my SSG's output directly to that, again I had to drill a hole in the case for that too.

I put my AM radio next to it and kept an eye on the neon as I lightly spun my rotor just to be sure it was going to accept the charge. As James Milner says just be very careful if you try it.

I'll try and get some clear pictures taken for you.

All the best
      Oliver

Comment

Lithium-Ion laptop battery

It is interested that you can charge Lithium-Ion laptop battery. Could you please post your photo here to show how did you open the Lithium-Ion laptop battery and bybass the controller. Did you try to charge other type of batteries?
        Hi guys,
        I confirm that it is possible to charge Lithium-Ion laptop batteries using a SSG fan charger.
        2 years ago, I got 4 completely dead laptop battery packs from a friend. HP and Toshiba.
        HP being more crappy than Toshiba.
        I found out that their controller stops working past a specified date - even if all cells are brand new (all cells replaced).
        Tried to reprogram the PIC, no luck. Replacing the cells works with Toshiba or Dell.
        Back to my story: every cell was at 0.2V (2 cells were faulty/shorted).
        Impossible to charge them you may say because if a cell goes under 3.4-3.6V you can throw it right into the garbage can. Not a single Li-Ion charger will accept them in this state.
        Not at all.
        I pried open every pack, removed every cell, discarded the plastic, done a visual inspection for leaks and one by one I put the cells to the fan charger, monitoring the voltage because you never want to go over 4.1V.
        It will pop (I've done that).
        That's the reason you don't want to use a very powerful SSG to charge Lithium-Ion laptop batteries. They're more fragile, temperature and current sensitive.
        You'll need a controller to stop the charge at the right time or above the recommended temperature because indeed, everything will end up in flames or fumes (that's why you can see 2-3 temperature sensors inside your battery pack).
        So, once I got those cells to 3.7V, I charge them normally with a standard Lithium-Ion charger.
        I use them ever since with my electronic cigarettes or in modified LED camping lamp.
        No fire, no smoke, everything running cold.
        Don't charge them directly in the pack over the marked leads.
        First desolder your controller circuit or you will fry it. My advice is to charge them one by one using alligator clips after you isolate them from the controller. Replace any faulty cell with a spare (cheap on E-bay).
        A general rule of thumb: never leave your batteries discharged! Li-Ion, gel, lead acid, you name it. They tend to die of "starvation"

Comment

Hi Freeenergy,

Bedini process is ideally suitable for any Dipole (Battery), as long as the associated Chemical reaction in the battery is reverasble (That Charaterizes Charge-Discharge action), it can be Bedini -Charged.. I have very effeiciently charged/revived Ni-Cd, Ni-MH battries with Bedini process.
          as Tom C Rightly points out, Lithium-ion based Batteries as 'explosion' prone devices.. but with proper Engineering, Litium-ion Battries can very well be Bedini-Charged. (CONTROLLED IMPULSE CHARGING!!!!)
          Rgds,
          Faraday88.
          'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Dear Oliver

Thanks for your detail explaination. I just built mine SSG and using it to charge a LAB. Have you measured the waveform of the spikes? What is your primary battery when you charge laptop battery?

Thanks

Comment

I have tried to build a fan charger before but the fan casing was broke when I tried to remove the coil from the casing. How did you managed to remove your coil?

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                Hi Freeenergy,

Bedini process is ideally suitable for any Dipole (Battery), as long as the associated Chemical reaction in the battery is reverasble (That Charaterizes Charge-Discharge action), it can be Bedini -Charged.. I have very effeiciently charged/revived Ni-Cd, Ni-MH battries with Bedini process.
                as Tom C Rightly points out, Lithium-ion based Batteries as 'explosion' prone devices.. but with proper Engineering, Litium-ion Battries can very well be Bedini-Charged. (CONTROLLED IMPULSE CHARGING!!!!)

Faraday88.
                It looks exciting. I will tried various battery after I successfully see my LAB has better performance with SSG charger. I am trying now.
                Rgds,

Comment

li-on

Dear Oliver

Thanks for your detail explaination. I just built mine SSG and using it to charge a LAB. Have you measured the waveform of the spikes? What is your primary battery when you charge laptop battery?

Thanks
                  Hi Free energy, good luck with the new SSG.

I generally have a smaller SSG with the microwave rotor for when I'm charging smaller batteries.
                  I have not measured the waveform on my machines yet, havent really got the equipment for that at the moment.

Usually when I'm charging/rejuvenating the ni/mh phone battery I will use a 8volt 355mA old mobile phone charger as the power source. I've got a capacitor and a switch over the front end so I can go mains or battery if necessery.

I'm still running through the rejuvenating on the Li-On battery at the moment too. Under a load thats now lasting 15 minutes and will allow the laptop to bootup and shutdown which is incredible considering it wouldnt have lasted even a minute fully charged at the desktop previously. When I'm charging that one I usually use a 13volt 300mA power supply, again there's a capacitor with a switch over the front end now so I dont have to worry about sparks.

I've started to push the laptop battery harder. I've moved it over to the larger SSG. I've got switches over 2 of the 3 coils so I can either step up or down depending on what I'm doing. On the case it stastes 10.8v. When I've measured it fully charged its 12.50v thats my benchmark.. Its quite amusing windows last night told me I had 5 hours and 40 minutes available...

not quite!

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver View Post
                    Hi Free energy, good luck with the new SSG.

I generally have a smaller SSG with the microwave rotor for when I'm charging smaller batteries.
                    I have not measured the waveform on my machines yet, havent really got the equipment for that at the moment.

Usually when I'm charging/rejuvenating the ni/mh phone battery I will use a 8volt 355mA old mobile phone charger as the power source. I've got a capacitor and a switch over the front end so I can go mains or battery if necessery.

I'm still running through the rejuvenating on the Li-On battery at the moment too. Under a load thats now lasting 15 minutes and will allow the laptop to bootup and shutdown which is incredible considering it wouldnt have lasted even a minute fully charged at the desktop previously. When I'm charging that one I usually use a 13volt 300mA power supply, again there's a capacitor with a switch over the front end now so I dont have to worry about sparks.

I've started to push the laptop battery harder. I've moved it over to the larger SSG. I've got switches over 2 of the 3 coils so I can either step up or down depending on what I'm doing. On the case it stastes 10.8v. When I've measured it fully charged its 12.50v thats my benchmark.. Its quite amusing windows last night told me I had 5 hours and 40 minutes available...

not quite!
                    Hi, Oliver

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think that is the point to use SSG charging battery. I wonder you used mobile phone charger to replace the primary battery as the beginners' handbook said the spark will charge primary battery also. If you used charger as power source, would it be damaged? How long it took to fully charge to 12.5V and how do you know the fully charged voltage is 12.5V? Is the 12.5V charging voltage, terminating charging voltage or resting voltage?

Currently I am still charing LAB (12V, 7.2AH) at 8th cycles. I do not what is the fully charged voltage. I used 24hrs as benchmark. I controlled my primary input current at 550ma to 570ma and charging input current is from 120ma to 160ma.

Can I have your circuit diagram and part list? Where did you put capacitor and switch? What is the capacity of your capacitor? How many cycles you charged before can see such amusing effect?

Sorry for asking so many questions
                    Last edited by freeenergy; 06-16-2013, 01:53 AM.

Comment

hi,

Just found a real good video on Lithium Ion batteries a must see before experimenting with them I think.
                      http://www.ri.cmu.edu/video_view.htm...60&menu_id=387

I just want to say I bought an old e-bike and the lithium ion pack was completly empty I had a string of NIMH and put these in the pack instead
                      because I was afright to blow up the lithum ion batts.

I am charging them with ssg and they respond very well they are performing better every cycle.

Karel

Comment

Working...
                      X