Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The level of the electrolyte.

Hi all.
    It has been about 30 charge / discharge cycles the battery.
    I noticed that the electrolyte level has declined markedly. Click image for larger version

Name:	AKKBEL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	50983
    Can or should I add water?
    In one of the cells, the level will soon reach the minimum level.
    Should it be at all?
    Konstantin.

Hi Konstantin,

yes, this is normal for a flooded lead acid battery. The electrolyte should always be above the level of the plates. You can safely add distilled water to top it up if needed. Don't use tap water or de-mineralised water, distilled water only.

John K.

Comment

Hi John,
      What is the Acid to Distilled Water ratio for a Lead acid Battery..?
      Rgds,
      Faraday88.
      'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Thank you John. I'll add the water, hoping that it will not affect the results.
        Konstantin.

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
          Maybe I can answer you.
          Usually it is sold ready-made.
          I can only give the final density of the electrolyte: it should be 1,27-1,28 gram / ​​milliliter.
          The acid does not evaporate. Only the water evaporates. Therefore, it is and add to the previous volume.
          Konstantin.

Comment

Originally posted by kingstingtin View Post
            Thank you John. I'll add the water, hoping that it will not affect the results.
            adding water to a lead acid battery is the NORMAL thing to do. I have 80 trojan T105's that are charged Daily, and topped off with distilled water DAILY. if you expose the plates to air, that part of the plate dries out when charged then it is no longer considered active plate material, and your capacity goes down. so keep your battery topped off, the charge cycle is breaking down the water into oxy and hydrogen, its a byproduct of the process.

Tom

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Thank you Tom. I was worried that it might adversely affect the course of experimentation. Now I realized that I was worried for nothing.
              Your answer led me to thinking. I have long noticed that when charging my battery, hydrogen he is going to quite large bubbles in the electrolyte. The bubbles are clamped between the plates and the frame or under the plates and can not go upstairs alone. Click image for larger version

Name:	AKKBВ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	45513
              I looked around at them in red on the photo. Me to have to tilt or shake the battery so that they lifted up. But some of them do not give in to it.
              Maybe this is the cause of my failed experiments? Because the area under the bubbles can not participate in the reaction properly?
              Konstantin.

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                Sulphuric acid 38%.
                Konstantin.

Comment

Apparently, distilled water that I poured into the battery, was of poor quality because the self-discharge rate has grown.
                  Is it possible to replace the electrolyte is entirely a new one?
                  Konstantin.

Comment

Working...
                  X