New to the forum! Currently building and waiting on a few parts for my SSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum! Currently building and waiting on a few parts for my SSG

1: Just purchased 2 12V 8AH power-sport batteries. I have not applied any acid just yet. I have been watching JB's test results on his lead alum batteries, and I was curious if I should just stick with the sulfuric acid for "beginner's" purposes with the SSG circuit, or maybe just apply the primary with acid? Most basic, would it be better for my learning curve to just stick with a conventional battery setup for both?

2: I ordered chicago miniature A1A neon lamps, but now I see NE-2's being recommended, will they still do justice?
    Last edited by MarshuL; 04-19-2013, 12:20 AM. Reason: saw a lot of answers to my questions...

1-flooded lead acid are the best to test with.
    2- mjl 21194 transistor is the best
    3- ceramics no neos
    4- bike wheel not hard drive or skate wheel
    5- 1n4001 and 1n4007 for diodes
    6- 470 on the bases 12 ohm on the trigger to the bases
    7- 20 power 23 trigger 130 feet litzed 7 power 1 trigger
    8- r45 or r60 for the core
    9- pittsfield spool 3/4 inch core diameter 3 1/2 hi
    10- ne2 neon no resistor

hows that

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Hi,

That does look pretty cool. Aluminum is not magnetic but I seem to remember reading that it can induce a small drag on the wheel with magnets on it? But might be worth a try maybe someone can correct me? What I did is just get a couple of pieces of plywood (if I had to do it again I'd use actual wood in the way that the book says) and a nice sharp chisel and made two slots in a base board. Then I wood glued two pieces that I measured into the base and cut some slots for the wheel nuts. Not perfect but it was pretty simple to make.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0132.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	45504
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0128.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	45505

Anyway good luck!

Mike

Comment

Hello
        what's better a metal wheel or aluminum wheel?
        24 inch wheel is good

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_Morbus View Post
          Hello
          what's better a metal wheel or aluminum wheel?
          24 inch wheel is good

thanks
          steel rim nothing else can be... wood support or plastic, the rim and magnets cannot pass anything magnetic or paramagnetic except the coil.

Tom C

Comment

Originally posted by MarshuL
            thank you bro. I really appreciate your time. you mentioned ne-2's for sure. will A1A NOT do me a good deed? if they burn they burn, im just waiting on a model to work for a few hours, then i will get what hine sight has mentioned
            ask yourself what the neon does, then ask yourself if what you have will work.....

Tom C

Comment

Thanks Tom C

Comment

Thanks Tom. Looks like i need to return my fancy aluminum rim hah. For humility's sake, i apologize to everyone for any belligerence on my part. Was having too much fun last night. Great answers, great help. magnet wire just came in the mail. will start the winding, and go back to the scrap wood i have. I thought using those materials was too good to be true. oh well

Comment

Originally posted by MarshuL View Post
                  Thanks Tom. Looks like i need to return my fancy aluminum rim hah. For humility's sake, i apologize to everyone for any belligerence on my part. Was having too much fun last night. Great answers, great help. magnet wire just came in the mail. will start the winding, and go back to the scrap wood i have. I thought using those materials was too good to be true. oh well
                  aluminum rims will work, we used to build with only aluminum rims. it was not until I actually got into the shop with JB he said to use steel, before that I was using second hand info, we all were. the steel helps to form the scalar south. with that said I have good charging with steel, aluminum, wood, plastic rims.

Tom C

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Swanson View Post
                    Hi,

That does look pretty cool. Aluminum is not magnetic but I seem to remember reading that it can induce a small drag on the wheel with magnets on it? But might be worth a try maybe someone can correct me? What I did is just get a couple of pieces of plywood (if I had to do it again I'd use actual wood in the way that the book says) and a nice sharp chisel and made two slots in a base board. Then I wood glued two pieces that I measured into the base and cut some slots for the wheel nuts. Not perfect but it was pretty simple to make.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1837[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1838[/ATTACH]

Anyway good luck!

Mike
                    That makes a lot of sense. There are a few youtube videos to demonstrate eddy currents. in a typical experiment, people will drop a neo magnet into a copper tube, i also tried myself with an aluminum tube, and there was a "drag" effect. anti-gravity or what have you. I bet I would lose RPM's with the proximity i had configured.. I have not read the book yet, its on my list. I've read countless posts on how valuable it is. I have just started to make a structure very similar to your pics. that seems the best bet!

MarshuL
                    Last edited by MarshuL; 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Hi Marshul,

I recommend using lead / acid batteries for both primary and secondary, you don't want to have too many variables when you first start to test your device. Before adding the acid to your battery(s), read and follow the directions that are included step by step.

Also, You will probably need to charge the battery on a charger before you can use it to run the SG.
                      Last edited by rmarquette; 04-26-2013, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your advice, rmarquette. Will definitely do. I'm sort of forced to take my time, but I am not complaining about it. As soon as I have my ducks in a row, I will fill and charge them accordingly. Still waiting on a few things =/

MarshuL

Comment

you want to form your batteries on a regular charger before running them on the SG some plates are not formed from the factory and they need a low current steady charge to get them where they belong. its actually about finishing the manufacturing process with the charger. the factory assumes you will charge it so they dont do it. it hs a bit of a dry charge just to set the path of electron flow to begin with. 10 or 20 gentle cycles will help a lot.

Tom C

Comment

Working...
                          X