Bedini bicycle wheel material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedini bicycle wheel material

Hi guys. I'm just about to build my first Bedini SSG motor..........i just bought a bicycle wheel off of ebay. The guy said it was alloy but it turns out only the rim is alloy. The spokes are magnetic. Is this a major no no or will it be ok? Thanks

Marine- John Bedini stated in one of the EFTV videos that the rim was the important part. The spokes can be ferrous, but the rim should be aluminum or some other non-ferrous material. You're good to go. I bought my bike wheel used from a local bicycle repair shop for $5. The bearings were the expensive part. I splurged and went with ceramics. $70 for those but I have not been sorry. The thing has a 18 min 27 second no coil free spin time. Make sure you thoroughly degrease the bearings and then lube them with some sort of PTFE type lube. Tri-flow works well, and lubrilon a.k.a. excelplus are even better if you can find it.

Have fun,

-Woody
    Last edited by Woody; 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM.
    "It's not a mutiny if the commander is leading it!" - Wally Schirra, Commander Apollo 7

Comment

Thanks man!

Comment

JB's new bike wheel kits have a steel rim.... when I was assembling it in the shop, he said the steel was fine, it helps the scalar south some..... I have run steel and alloy and nylon rims. I have seen SG machines rotored in an aluminum slug with slots cut out, and many other ways. seems spacing and magnet type are more important. Jb's 10 coil is nylon rimmed skyway bike wheel, single Sg is steel, 6 coil is aluminum......

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Cheers Tom.

Is there a link on here to show how to properly space the magnets? I was going to use 50x25x10 rectangular neo ones. I think they were about 30kg pull each.

Comment

Do not use neo magnets, ceramic C8 only. get the beginner SG book, it will answer all your questions. you space them 3 to 5 magnet widths apart. the book will save you a bunch of time.

Tom

Comment

Yeah i've been meaning to get the book for a while now. Cheers for the heads up.

Comment

Hello again guys. I've had to put my build on hold up until now. I'm having a nightmare trying to find c8 grade 3 ferrite/ceramic magnets here in the UK.
                I've just gone and bought some of these as the guy on the phone said they are practically no different. Will these be ok? They are 50 x 25 x 10mm thick Y30BH Ferrite Magnet - 1.2kg Pull to be used on a 23" wheel. I have no idea what Y30BH means but the guy says you wont notice any difference?
                http://www.first4magnets.com/rectang...2kg-pull-p3531

Comment

anyone?...........

Comment

Welcome Marine,

Go to the Beginners Bedini Monopole forum, much more info there for you. The basic US magnet dimensions and specs for a ceramic magnet are 4.5 lbs (~2kg) pull and 1 7/8" x 7/8" x 3/8" (48mm x 22mm x9mm). These are on the TeslaG site.

Check out part # DM880 here: http://www.duramag.com/materials/cer...-magnet-sizes/ they do not mention the pull.

Yaro
                    Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

Marine,

those are close enough.... you want the magnet to completely cover the core, which those will. you will have to experiment with coil gap to find what is right.

Tom C

Comment

Hi Yaro, thanks for the reply.
                        I'm ok on the sizes, it was more a question on the material of the magnet. They aren't c8 they are Y30BH. Is that ok?
                        I'll check out that forum as well. Thanks.

Comment

Hello Marine,
                          you are in the UK ?
                          Great.
                          I got my magnets from this supplier in Germany :
                          www.supermagnete.de
                          Check it out !

Comment

Sorry Tom C i didn't see your post. Thanks for clarifying that for me!

Comment

Working...
                            X