the electronic aspect of the SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the electronic aspect of the SG

we are beginning to see posts from members who are just slapping stuff together, bad form fellas I would encourage everyone that before you actually do any serious testing, once you have the circuit running, get rid of the alligator clips and stray wires. tighten all of your lose ends up, solder everything and make the circuit rock solid. it will run better and longer.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Not to mention the risk of fire/short circuit or damage to components. If you must use terminal strips to hold components in place then do so to GET IT UP AND RUNNING ONLY. I read somewhere that the actual contact surface area between clamped or bolted joints on the microscopic level can be as low as 5% total contact. Even worse with alligator clip. Use them to test, once it works systematically remove one at a time replacing with the shortest length of conductor possible and solder in.

Tom C offers very sound advice. I know alot of beginners here are as new to Bedini devices as they are to electronics in general. I learned to solder my first SG circuit before I had learned to solder, if you catch my drift. Keep any blown components, use them to practice on. Google or youtube soldering techniques, some people are put off by soldering because it can be difficult at first. Choice of solder alone can make this a win/lose situation. Rosin Core solder for example is trickier IMO than the standard Tin/Lead or lead free varieties. Keep the tip clean and tin both parts before joining.

Regards

Comment

Good beginner tutorial

As stated above keeping connections short and clean will help your circut run more efficient and last longer.
      “The day when we shall know exactly what “electricity” is, will chronicle an event probably greater, more important than any other recorded in the history of the human race. The time will come when the comfort, the very existence, perhaps, of man will depend upon that wonderful agent.”

Nikola Tesla

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I will ditch the terminals, I was wondering why bother putting thick wire on both sides of a little spade connector! For soldering I think I'm 8 for 10 in my circuit, fingers crossed, any advice on pulling things out and cleaning and resoldering? Best avoided, or doesn't work at all?
        Last edited by Mike Swanson; 08-12-2012, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X