Bedini RPX Sideband Generator

* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

ONLY 150 118 90 2 SEATS AVAILABLE! - 2018 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Cap Dump

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

Patrick,
    I think I will start some experiments and try to log the data as you suggest. I have some very small 5AH batteries and a small mechanical ssg that has 21awg on the coils; that should be good for doing quick runs/results.

The first thing I need to do is establish a baseline for them under normal conditions and then I can try changing arrangements of caps and resistors on the front end to see what effect comes of it. I will start a separate thread to share with everyone.

Hi all,
    I hope you’re all having fun experimenting with the "battery"/available power that exists between two negatives and are ready for step 2 of...

Quest for the ultimate cap dump.

One side note is that the SSR I have in my vid would only be recommended for very large builds as it does leak - can't see it on the scope but it does. This same type of circuit can be used w/ an SCR, or mosfet, or transistor or any other device that needs a little pulse to make it connect.

Where are the masters on this one? I would love to see this simplified even more.
    -Kind Regards,
    Patrick

ZPDM - I like where you are going with that, keep on it. Thanks for sharing!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by min2oly View Post
    Hi all,
    I hope you’re all having fun experimenting with the "battery"/available power that exists between two negatives and are ready for step 2 of...

Quest for the ultimate cap dump.

One side note is that the SSR I have in my vid would only be recommended for very large builds as it does leak - can't see it on the scope but it does. This same type of circuit can be used w/ an SCR, or mosfet, or transistor or any other device that needs a little pulse to make it connect.

Where are the masters on this one? I would love to see this simplified even more.
    -Kind Regards,
    Patrick

ZPDM - I like where you are going with that, keep on it. Thanks for sharing!
    1. Mech relay is obsolte and prone to breakdown use photo mos
    2. Ss zener diode to control charge with trimmer
    3. 220 Uf 35 v for the cap pulser
    4 Good for solar application
    Just some ideas from other circuit
    My 2 jt with single base trimmer is pulsing but the transistors are vefy hot on a tri filar 7 meters 22 awg coil

I've had good success using a heavy duty SCR and one zener diode. The sch is below. All I do to adjust the voltage is swap out the zener for a different value. Right now I have a 16V zener on there. So 16V + about 2V that the SCR requires and that's roughly 18 volts over the battery voltage. I felt that this was better than using a 12 V zener because I wanted the battery to always have at a minimum of double the voltage hitting it. When the battery gets up to 15.5V, that's more than the 12V zener would produce on this circuit. I've never blown out one of either of the SCR's shown below either.

Schematic:
    SCR-Zener-CapDump.jpg

A couple different SCR's I've used. The larger one is a 2N1913 and the smaller one says R16RIA60 on it. Found these at my local surplus store. http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/
    2013-03-28_20-30-20_886.jpg

-Chris
    Last edited by Catrinisin; 03-28-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Hey guys,

The "Bedini SG™ The Complete Intermediate Handbook" was released recently and it talks a lot about capacitor dumps and how JB uses them.

Bedini SG - The Complete Intermediate Handbook

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Catrinisin View Post
    I've had good success using a heavy duty SCR and one zener diode. The sch is below. All I do to adjust the voltage is swap out the zener for a different value. Right now I have a 16V zener on there. So 16V + about 2V that the SCR requires and that's roughly 18 volts over the battery voltage. I felt that this was better than using a 12 V zener because I wanted the battery to always have at a minimum of double the voltage hitting it. When the battery gets up to 15.5V, that's more than the 12V zener would produce on this circuit. I've never blown out one of either of the SCR's shown below either.

Schematic:
    SCR-Zener-CapDump.jpg

A couple different SCR's I've used. The larger one is a 2N1913 and the smaller one says R16RIA60 on it. Found these at my local surplus store. Skycraft Parts & Surplus, Inc.
    2013-03-28_20-30-20_886.jpg

-Chris
    Chris, that nice. I'm glad it's working for your setup.
    I have that same SCR. The only thing I've added was an LED from cathode to zener to gate.
    Still... when I've moved to larger setups w/ large battery banks - this one is too small and heats up and/or locks up.

Everyone should try it, it is very reliable w/ the right energizer and charge battery.
    The drawing in my vid is wrong, but the close up of the actual SCR is easy to see and connected and operating correctly.
    Chris has the correct drawing here.
    -KR
    Patrick

mycappulser.jpg
    I have been playing with a high current SCR to see what you can do with it.
    I was also using a zener over the scr and it nicely dumped around 23 V over my battery.
    As long as it completely discharges the cap it works fine but when there is a little higher
    voltage over the cap than the batt the SCR stays on. This means that you have to shutdown
    the input over the cap from the SSG completely. I think the easy way is to short the base of your
    SSG Transistors, or in fact the triger coil somehow at the moment the SCR fires.
    What I also found is that the cap is leaking over the SCR Gate so you don't want this on all the time
    so maybe you want to use a timer like 555 to sample the voltage every second or so and then dump
    when voltage is high enough.

Just some thoughts,

Karel
    Last edited by knagtegl; 03-30-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by min2oly View Post
    Chris, that nice. I'm glad it's working for your setup.
    I have that same SCR. The only thing I've added was an LED from cathode to zener to gate.
    Still... when I've moved to larger setups w/ large battery banks - this one is too small and heats up and/or locks up.

Everyone should try it, it is very reliable w/ the right energizer and charge battery.
    The drawing in my vid is wrong, but the close up of the actual SCR is easy to see and connected and operating correctly.
    Chris has the correct drawing here.
    -KR
    Patrick
    Thanks Patrick. It works almost flawlessly for my actual setup. I did have an issue with too much capacitance one time when my battery got almost full. The SCR would not close again for a few seconds on each pulse. It was strange, it was like a delay before it would re-charge. Lowering the capacitance solved it.

This is a small 3 filer machine. I am in the process of building a larger machine so it's good to know that I need to keep thinking about cap dumps then. I am really tempted to try the full 555 with mosfets circuit. However it is so complicated when compared to this SCR dump or some of the other simple ones. I also don't like how I would have to basically manually adjust it for each load.

Still searching for that ultimate cap dump.....

-Chris

Quick questions guys: Is there any benefit to using more than one capacitor in parallel over using only one capacitor? Since there are two or more "sources" dumping into the battery, does that mean it dumps with twice as much current since there are twice the physical capacitors for instance?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by Catrinisin; 03-30-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrinisin View Post
    Quick questions guys: Is there any benefit to using more than one capacitor in parallel over using only one capacitor? Since there are two or more "sources" dumping into the battery, does that mean it dumps with twice as much current since there are twice the physical capacitors for instance?

Thanks,
    Chris
    capacitors are like batteries.... in parallel your voltage stays the same but your capacitance goes up. 2 15000 uf caps in parallel becomes 1 30000 uf cap. caps have differing discharge times but it is usually in the nano seconds of difference. it depends if you have a really good new cap or are recycling caps from old power supplies. if anyone runs into the old HP lazerjets or any big printer at a junk yard, the power supply for the fuzer is huge, I have found 50 volt caps in them large Farad ones.

Tom C
    Last edited by Tom C; 03-30-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: fixed wrong info

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers