The Ultimate Cap Dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Branch,

I haven't got that far with my testing yet, but I do plan to test this and I'll post my findings.

-Chris

Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
    Hi Chris,

Are you getting 1:1 charging with this setup?
    Last edited by Catrinisin; 11-11-2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• i have a cap pulser similar to this..
      using a reed switch,
      but using an additional arduino which counts the magnets of the wheel, that fly by,
      via arduino, LCD and buttons i can adjust the settings..
      after how many magnet counts the cap pulser should switch and how long it should switch on..
      switching via optocoupler/BD243C/IRFP260

works fine but jb did charge up to 24V and dumped till 5V about 12V...
      to catch that 5V above 12 is easier and accurat with an pure electronic comparator
      (SG intermediate handbook, page 46)

Comment

• That's very interesting. I never thought of using an Arduino. Not sure I would try it but quite intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by MrRonsen View Post
        i have a cap pulser similar to this..
        using a reed switch,
        but using an additional arduino which counts the magnets of the wheel, that fly by,
        via arduino, LCD and buttons i can adjust the settings..
        after how many magnet counts the cap pulser should switch and how long it should switch on..
        switching via optocoupler/BD243C/IRFP260

works fine but jb did charge up to 24V and dumped till 5V about 12V...
        to catch that 5V above 12 is easier and accurat with an pure electronic comparator
        (SG intermediate handbook, page 46)

Comment

• I use Arduino but not as a counter.

Check out this thread to see how I use it. You can adjust your pulses to get any voltage points you want. Not a comparator but you can achieve exactly the same results by monitoring your voltage and adjusting the dump timing.

Link:
          http://www.energyscienceforum.com/showthread.php?t=1110

Comment

• Fyi

this is just for anyone with the original 3PM kit by RF.
            in the vid I state 180' - I meant to say 80'

Comment

• Fyi

Here's a vid attempting to explain how I am measuring energy in vs energy out:

I'll post more results after more runs...

Comment

• hey patrick have you actually seen it continue to climb on the primary side??? if you put an amp meter in there when in gen mode(neg to neg) you can see the amps drop down as the charging battery climbs... ive always thought this was the reason for the numbers climbing as i could never get voltages above starting point before ssg was turned on

Comment

• Hi Patrick,
                  Great to see you making video again man!

Your method seems reasonable to me. Watts in, watts out. Since you use the same target each time than it should be a reliable way of looking at it. In other words if the big battery goes up it goes up, it's the same battery.

I have been thinking about working on my little 3p as well. I just ordered 10 empty spools from ricks old site so that I can try different configurations. Once I learned about gen mode I thought hmmm now this little machine has a chance at doing some serious work. As it turns out you knew about this long before most everyone else but I didn't catch what you were saying when you tried to show it before.

Anyway great video's, thanks for sharing your work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodie Gwilliam View Post
                    hey patrick have you actually seen it continue to climb on the primary side??? if you put an amp meter in there when in gen mode(neg to neg) you can see the amps drop down as the charging battery climbs... ive always thought this was the reason for the numbers climbing as i could never get voltages above starting point before ssg was turned on
                    It's even more simple than that. not the way I have the FWBR in there though. When you only use one diode off the collector to the charge battery and when in neg to neg mode,

The batteries are in parallel when the transistor is on.

dropping the mic.... :-)

Comment

• Pat, Thanks again for sharing. If I may ask, why do you use a cap in parallel in the primary? Thanks Al

Comment

• Originally posted by aln View Post
                        Pat, Thanks again for sharing. If I may ask, why do you use a cap in parallel in the primary? Thanks Al
                        Great question.
                        Saw it in one of JB's vids DVD2 I believe. My thought is that it helps alleviate the punishment the primary battery takes from the energizer. It helps to smooth out the current draw, the CAP can take the punishment IME (in my experience) it improves the run time, I could be wrong about why... :-)
                        Test it out w/ too small of a Cap and you'll see the energizer is choked off.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
                          Hi Patrick,
                          Great to see you making video again man!

Your method seems reasonable to me. Watts in, watts out. Since you use the same target each time than it should be a reliable way of looking at it. In other words if the big battery goes up it goes up, it's the same battery.

I have been thinking about working on my little 3p as well. I just ordered 10 empty spools from ricks old site so that I can try different configurations. Once I learned about gen mode I thought hmmm now this little machine has a chance at doing some serious work. As it turns out you knew about this long before most everyone else but I didn't catch what you were saying when you tried to show it before.

Anyway great video's, thanks for sharing your work.
                          Hi Bob,
                          thanks for the compliment. My hope has always been that as many as possible have an even playing ground to share work w/ so this "thing" can get the recognition that it deserves. You'ld think it would be a piece of cake, years of failures including my own only prove that it is cake in the face!
                          KR
                          Patrick

Comment

• Thanks Pat, I found Tom's post from a while back which supports your theory,

"The scalar goes both ways, the cap smooths the input, absorbs the spike and returns it to the primary side of the circuit, its like a spring for the pulse... batteries dont like to charge and discharge at the same time."
                            Tom C

I will start using one and watch the difference. Aln

Comment

• not just "any" cap will do. find one with a value that helps the front end be more springy.. not too big not too small is that a good electrical engineer term?

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

• Springy cap ok I'll play around with them a bit, thanks.

Pat, cake in the face lol, thats for sure. I wish I had more to offer others. I am in elementary school compared to most. Would you share the circuit with the bridge rectifier? I would guess ac positive peg to top of coil that goes to primary positive, ac negative peg to bottom of power coil (leaving out diode), dc - peg to charge neg (without peice that makes gen mode, or neg to neg as you call it), and dc+ peg to charge positive. That's what I am going to try anyway unless I hear back before I get to it. Aln
                                Last edited by aln; 12-05-2013, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X