The Ultimate Cap Dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Catrinisin View Post
    I think the simple reason the amp draw goes down when you load the wheel is that the RPMs go down. Since the battery is only being pulsed on each magnet pass, with lower RPMs we have less magnet passes per second and thus less overall amp draw.

My $0.02
    Chris
    Hi All,

John B can probably say that the switching is effected in a positive way by slowing down the rotor with a mechanical load.

I would like to know what he has to say about it.

I'd like to know where to get one of those bikewheel kit fans also.

I have the rest of it on my bench.

bro d

Comment

• "I was very interested in how JB will use the radiant to power or increase the power of the wheel as he mentioned when this forum first began"

DVD 33 patrick the lecture tells you how to get a bit more shaft power. its still not a prime mover but its a bunch more.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

• Originally posted by brodonh View Post
        Hi All,

John B can probably say that the switching is effected in a positive way by slowing down the rotor with a mechanical load.

I would like to know what he has to say about it.

I'd like to know where to get one of those bikewheel kit fans also.

I have the rest of it on my bench.

bro d
        the mechanical load slows the machine down which reduces primary current draw. speed allows you to tune your machine for the SOA of the transistor, and the batteries.

Tom C

Comment

• Hi John K ,
          Where can I find the schematic for the "comparator cap dump circuit"?

Comment

• Hi Dion, I moved your post to this thread.

There are a couple of different schematics floating around on this thread.

John K.

Comment

• Thanks John K, appreciate that...read read read. I just bought the book as well, is it in that?
              Dennis(Dion)

Comment

• Hey Dennis, no it's not in any of the books.

John K.

Comment

• Hi folks , would someone please point me to the post discussing the resistor value from the mosfet gates to the negative rail of the capture cap. in the intermediate book, page 47? THanks to anyone who has that value. Dennis F.

Comment

• Cap behavior

Just good info.

Comment

• Here's part 2

Comment

• Simple Cap Dump using SSR and Reed Switch

This is not the "Ultimate Cap Dump" but it is quite simple and seems to work pretty well. Basically I'm just using a Reed Switch to fire the SSR which switches the negative lead to the charge battery. The SG Energizer machine's output goes directly to a 15000uF 50V cap.

The cap charges to about 28V and dumps down to the battery voltage. The only catch with this is that I have no control over how often the dump occurs because the wheel itself is triggering the reed with a magnet.

-Chris

Comment

• Nice build Chris!! good to see the reed switch being able to drive that SSR.... looks like you have a small batt or something on the reed switch, I can see the resistor there, but the white wire goes somewhere.....

Tom C
                          Last edited by Tom C; 11-10-2013, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Hi Catrinisin , that is a very nice wheel. Thanks for sharing.

al

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                              Nice build Chris!! good to see the reed switch being able to drive that SSR.... looks like you have a small batt or something on the reed switch, I can see the resistor there, but the white wire goes somewhere.....

Tom C
                              Thanks Tom. The teslagenx.com circuit board made this really easy.

The reed is connected to the run battery positive and negative. (It goes from run batt positive, then to the reed, then to the resistor, then to the SSR, and finally back to the run batt negative). I realize it isn't clear in the video, sorry. The resistor between the reed and the SSR is 2.2K ohm.

-Chris
                              Last edited by Catrinisin; 11-11-2013, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Hi Chris,

Are you getting 1:1 charging with this setup?

Originally posted by Catrinisin View Post
                                This is not the "Ultimate Cap Dump" but it is quite simple and seems to work pretty well. Basically I'm just using a Reed Switch to fire the SSR which switches the negative lead to the charge battery. The SG Energizer machine's output goes directly to a 15000uF 50V cap.

The cap charges to about 28V and dumps down to the battery voltage. The only catch with this is that I have no control over how often the dump occurs because the wheel itself is triggering the reed with a magnet.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X