Dane`s SSG build and related info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dane`s SSG build and related info

I ordered all my parts this morning so this thread is a bit premature. I am creating it now so that I can share some of the info I pulled from the old yahoo group and some not completely related to the monopole energizer.

Monopole docs I will add more as I can.

Other info that you may find helpful/interesting

On a side note I think this group is an amazing idea. Thank you John for sharing your tech with us and allowing everyone to experiment. I cant wait to get a build done and start the testing so I can better contribute.
    “The day when we shall know exactly what “electricity” is, will chronicle an event probably greater, more important than any other recorded in the history of the human race. The time will come when the comfort, the very existence, perhaps, of man will depend upon that wonderful agent.”

Nikola Tesla

Finally have my parts I hope to have my build done soon so I can start the test runs. I am in the middle of a move so it will be slow. I have a battery question that someone may be able to help me with. I am on a very limited budget so getting new batteries is out of the question for now. I 2 12v lawn tractor batteries and 2 car batteries I plan to do my test runs with the simple build wth the garden batteries. My question is there a way to determine the amp/hr rating of these batteries? The only info on the batteries is the cranking amps.
    “The day when we shall know exactly what “electricity” is, will chronicle an event probably greater, more important than any other recorded in the history of the human race. The time will come when the comfort, the very existence, perhaps, of man will depend upon that wonderful agent.”

Nikola Tesla

Comment

Dane
      I think the AH is CA divided by 20 and, I may be mistaken on this, but I think that CA is CCA divided by 20. That's what I was using from looking it up during my first build, but I can't find the source, just what I wrote down so I can't be sure I"m right.
      h

Comment

Dane,
        Just forget my answer all together. I'm wrong.
        h

Comment

I can always calculate an approx value bu using a controlled discharge. Thank you for the attempted answer. I will eventually get new batteries... I also have some golf course connections that I can hopefully get a decent stock of batteries for futher use.

Nikola Tesla

Comment

My confusion is that the guy at the battery store told me it's 20 to one, but I must have written down wrong the relationships because there's no way that CCA is 20X CA, there's no way CCA is even greater than CA, so I can't trust what I wrote down at all.
            Sorry, hopefully someone who actually knows will answer.
            h

Comment

a lawn tractor battery is a starting battery so CCA (cold cranking amps) or CA is usually how it is rated. they are meant to deliver hi current for a very short period of time, so the plates are thin and heat up quickly, so are not good for sustained discharge at hi current levels. I welded with a pair of lawn tractors batts once, pretty much cooked em!! I have not seen a decent formula for translating as they are not really related. most lawn tractor batteries are between 13 and 18 AH at C20 from my experience.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Please excuse this post the only internet I havee is on my phone. i have a working motor. Because of limited funds i had to use a used wheel. Took 3 wheels and made 1 with decent bearings. Just under 3 minutes free spin time. The motor charges pretty good. i only have 1 good battery atm when i find another decent battery i will start my 20 official runs. For now trying to restore a sulfated battery. will upload picks when i can.

Nikola Tesla

Comment

Dane,
                  Congratulations on getting it to work Dane. I think most people will tell you that the free spin time isn't long enough. Did you unpack the bearings and relube with tri-flow or like lubricant? Did you then test the balance of the wheel by spinning (without the coil there) many times and letting it stop? If it still stops in the same place you add a bit of weight to the exact top (opposite the heavy spot) and spin again. Keep doing that until it doesn't stop at the same place. It takes a long time to do but it's well worth it in increasing the free spin time. You want to get that us so that you don't need as much power to spin the wheel.
                  h

Comment

i did a lot of work on the barings used parts from 3 wheels to get the best possible combo. working on wheel balance but not done. considering what I have to work wiith im very pleased. when I get my check next week i hope to get new bearings or a new wheel. Sucks to be on such a limited budget but using only whats availablle in my experience can lead to creative solutions..

Thank you all for the welth of info. Thank you JB for sharing your tech with us.

Nikola Tesla

Comment

To update still in the middle of a move I cant do much myself so Im having to depend on help. I tried to build this on the cheap and still spent almost 180$. I put together 2 complete monopoles. My uncle was so impressed with it he asked if Id throw one together for him and i had enough components to do so. He got a wheel with better bearings and over a 4 min free spin time. Not ideal but better than I have lol. The wheels are cheap kids wheels. 8.5 in in diameter with 5 grade 8 ceramic magnets. Cant for the life of me remember the exact dimensions of the magnets or the measured resistance of the coils. My coil is 920 turns of awg 23 and 26 wire. My uncles is 550 turns of the same wire. 2n3055 transistors used in both. I have 2 issues to address before i go any further I need to find a 2nd known good battery and I must improve the bearings of my wheel. I may have whats needed for the wheel already need to find my damn mic. Even with these drawbacks I am seeing a impressive output but not having a known good battery to charge makes collecting useful data inaccurate at best.

Once I address these small issues and start actually testing the unit I wll post pics and more detailed info. Thank you to all thoes who have shared there info and made this a very simple process to get up and running.

Nikola Tesla

Comment

Working...
                      X