Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new house project...

hi everyone,

finally decided to post a bit about something I have been working on for a while. in order to keep my mind focused on the goal, which for me is independant living, I focus my research a lot on reduction in energy usage, and building with re usable and renewable resources. After many moons of research I have decided on type of structure Latest News: | Cob Cottage Company

these houses can be heated easily using a technology called Rocket Mass Heaters rocketstoves - www.ErnieAndErica.info simple to build and use it is a hybrid of a masonry stove and a true rocket stove used for cooking.

electricity will be solar and Bedini SG, interior lighting will be oscillator circuit leds running off of the battery bank. cooking is true wood stove. a composting toilet and greywater recycling for the garden. anywhere I can I will be recycling materials from places like this Hippo Hardware nice place for salvage and reclaimed windows.

what about refrigeration ? a DC ammonia cycle fridge, water pressure is DC deepwell pump How to Drill Your Own Water Well to a water tower. a small hydro genny attached to the downpipe of the tower to reclaim a bit of the energy back to the battery bank.

batteries: The IronEdison.com Store

food production: The Urban Homestead® - A City Farm, Sustainable Living & Resource Center, A Path to Freedom towards Self-Sufficiency

nubian goats for milk, cheese and protein
    chickens and ducks eggs and protein
    http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/vegetable production is using elliott colemans book 4 season harvest. non heated greenhouses produce food year around.

composting and organics all the way around!!

anyone please fell free to add to this thread your lourney and where you are. I will be doing this as a test project on my back yard eventually, building on a small scale to see where it goes.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Tom - this is fantastic!
    my grandfather was an adobe home contractor back in the day... when I was 10-15 I spent summers with him learning the craft - actually I was more of a slave laborer LOL. I never thought much about how to build them here in the NW rain country. I see now there are many waterproofing techniques and materials now. I think if i tried to put one up in my back yard, the city would have my neck. I'm going to have to look into it, it would be a fantastic learning experience for the kids, and to keep it off grid - fantastic! You're going to get a good write up for sure when yours is finished.
    kind regards,
    Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
      Glad to see these are getting more available in the states.

I see the price is fixed regardless of ah's. Is there 12v option actually 12v or is it a bank of 1.2v batts?
      Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
        Glad to see these are getting more available in the states.

I see the price is fixed regardless of ah's. Is there 12v option actually 12v or is it a bank of 1.2v batts?
        it is a bank and you decide on amp hours you want and voltage, they then sell you the right quantity. I found it fascinating they are running at the same voltage as the original cells.

Tom C

Comment

Hello very good you are looking for adobe buildings.When i was in Bolivia i learn many things and advantages what adobe has (radiation free..)
          I was involve and still in many projects on building with stone tek and domes structures.Here the traditional house is face south and the wall are 60 to 80cm wide so fresh in summer and if u close the main door before sunset in winter the keep warm.The roof has a special tek. that is made with algae from the mediterranean sea,after we dry we used as isolation on the roof,then on top of that we put clay and there is when the roof is making a very crazy thing...when is sunny like most of the year is making cracks and then the humidity from the house going out.When is raining the clay close so then we have a alive roof how we say....Then the oven for make the cooking is placed in between two rooms so you heat the main rooms etc.....
          But also this EARTHSHIPS houses i like a lot from Michael Reynolds.

Comment

earthship Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagen 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	45375
            ibiza kitchen reformada Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2013-03-20 a las 00.43.30.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	45374

Comment

I worked for Reynolds for 5 years and am building my own Earthship now. Will start a thread in anybody is interested. Earthship is Autonomous house. Exterior walls are rammed earth encased in rubber (tires) They harvest water, process their own waste with grey water and black water systems (my house will not have black water), make their own electricity, and have a built in greenhouse as part of the desighn

Comment

Have also added a small can/bottle/cob greenhouse to the bus im living in while I build my house

Comment

Yes, everyone please share, post pictures etc...
                  Very interested in solutions to obstacles etc..

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0553716&type=3
                    I'll be adding more pics today to this album that are Earthship related (bottle walls etc). The privacy settiing is public so anyone should be able to look at this.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/e...0000430553716/
                      some stuff from 2011. can walls, bottle walls, beginning of a structure with 18" thick mud bottle walls. I wouldn't make bricks myself..make mud and build the wall instead of make mud, make bricks, then build wall
                      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0553716&type=3
                      Ok, I just added links to the other photos instead of moving all the pics
                      Last edited by Jeff Pearson; 04-13-2013, 12:41 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Hello jeff sorry but i want to see your pics but i can;t cos i don't have a faceb. account hope you can upload to this forum in the future.thanks
                        Here is also a site where you can see another way with also cheap materials Construcción de casas con fardos de paja

Comment

2012 Photos by jeff_pearson1 | Photobucket
                          2011 Photos by jeff_pearson1 | Photobucket
                          Old Barn Pics Photos by jeff_pearson1 | Photobucket
                          here are the photos on photobucket

Comment

wow!!
                            Tom C

Comment

This house is definitely great. Earth ship house is made up of rammed earth and tires. The tires are stacked (staggered) like bricks. Each tire has earth pounded into them until firmly packed. Once the tires are packed, they are very difficult to move and form quite a dense wall. The walls are load bearing and provide thermal mass which is an important attribute to any energy efficient house.
                              energy efficient lighting | energy efficient lighting solutions

Comment

Working...
                              X