Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejuvinating a 100 A/h SLA

Hi,

I Would like to get some advice on rejuvenating a 100 A/h marine battery that I bought for scrap price to do some
    experimenting on.

It was around 8 Volts when I first checked it. After about an hour I had it above 12V with my cap pulser SSG.

Unfortunately it was going back to 11V later on the evening. I decided to put a conventional charger on it and that made it
    go to 13V with charger connected. It did not take much current then.

The next morning I checked and it was back to around 9 volts and consuming maybe 5 to 6 Amps and was warm on one spot.

I put it back on the SSG but did not much good.

Any one have some advise here?

And How can I add some fluid in this battery, I do not se a way to open it easy.

See for details: rejuvenating a 100 A/h marine battery - YouTube

Karel

You have a shorted cell, the battery is probably unrecoverable. You can try to leave it on your cap pulser for a day or two and see if it will recover.

John K has a write up on this forum on how to drain the acid out of the cells and flush the battery out with water and refill it with filtered electrolyte. Search for that it may be worth a try. Or next time select a battery that has a standing voltage somewhere around 12 volts and try to rejuvenate that one.

Since you bought that battery for scrap price, try and see if you can trade it in on a different one.

Dave Wing

Comment

I just noticed from your post that you may have a sealed lead acid, is it a glass mat style or flooded lead acid?

Comment

It is a flooded so called maintenance free battery, I would like to know if you can fill them with distilled water somehow.
        If it does not come back to 12 V I will try to swap it for an other one maybe. Its just to explore what the SSG can do and to
        learn what you can do with bigger batteries.
        I was able to get my car battery 54 A/h back from 5 V to 13V again and I could start my car with it again so I was thinking
        that you should be able to cure bigger batteries too.

Karel

Comment

I think you may just need to give it more time....ALOT more time. Depending on the input side,coil size,etc...it may take a good while at 100 AH size. Not knowing what your exact "rig" is does not help. IF you are patient enough to charge and slightly discharge a little the battery will start to learn to take a charge in this manner even with TINY INPUTS as the source.
          Originally posted by knagtegl View Post
          Hi,

I Would like to get some advice on rejuvenating a 100 A/h marine battery that I bought for scrap price to do some
          experimenting on.

It was around 8 Volts when I first checked it. After about an hour I had it above 12V with my cap pulser SSG.

Unfortunately it was going back to 11V later on the evening. I decided to put a conventional charger on it and that made it
          go to 13V with charger connected. It did not take much current then.

The next morning I checked and it was back to around 9 volts and consuming maybe 5 to 6 Amps and was warm on one spot.

I put it back on the SSG but did not much good.

Any one have some advise here?

And How can I add some fluid in this battery, I do not se a way to open it easy.

See for details: rejuvenating a 100 A/h marine battery - YouTube

Karel

Comment

I finally traded it in for a Elecsol 110/12v Deep Cycle Carbon Fibre Wet and this one performes very well, it was still at 12,6 volts and it is getting better
            now.

Comment

have you picture of battery most battery have distilled water and acid inside

Comment

Like I said I traded the battery for a better one, this one is OK.

This one has also clear holes with screw plugs where you can fill it, the other one had them hidden under a sticker and a extra
                plastic plate. But it was shortened and did not get over 2 volts any more after a while. It was a great sink for my SSG.
                Better use as a boat anchor now.

Comment

ok thanks knagtegl

Comment

Working...
                  X