Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this even possible

Hello Group,

After purchasing the SSG Handbook and building an energizer like John's and having it run right off the bat. I drug out an older non working SSG unit with an 8 filler coil but only running 5 transistors. I found that one of the transistors was shorted causing the machine to draw 2 amps and not rotate.

After removing the bad transistor and getting the energizer to run again I wanted to try charging 2 batteries using the branch current of 2 transistors going to 1 battery and 2 going to another. My wheel is a wooden one with (I believe 12 sets of double stacked magnets) not superpole configured, but just double stacked with North facing out. This is not a fantastic build, but a usable one for just exploring. Here is what happened with my first run and a explination of my setup.

I'm using the run battery (tractor battery 225CCA) that is charged when nessesary with my RC-2A12-12V, which is fed through my WATTS UP Meter to the energizer and it was setting at 12.38 volts at this time, this is the same battery that I run my new build with.

My charging batteries are 2 identical 5Ah motorcycle batteries purchased at the same time and same lot numbers. One has been converted to Alum and the other is still lead acid.

Here is their resting voltages after a 250Ma discharge cycle with the CBA III: Alum - 8.46v Lead Acid 12.72v

I was doing an 8 hour chagre cycle (while sleeping after a midnight shift), just trying to condition these batteries.

After checking a couple of times before actually getting to bed and once after getting up when I terminated the charge these are the results:

Alum Lead Acid Click image for larger version

Name:	Charge Test.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	50952
    Chg Batt 1 Run Batt Chg Batt 2

Start Voltage: 8.46v 12.38v 12.72v

Check 1: 9.36v 12.46v 12.91v

Check 2: 15.92v 12.37v 13.82v

Check 3: 16.30v 12.31v 16.16v

My first question is: Is it even possible for the run battery to go up a little bit in charge when a load is pulling 850mA from it as the case with the 12.46 reading, check 2 above was done about 30 minutes into the run and check 3 was done right before termination of the charge cycle.

Now the other thing that is hard for me to believe is that the run battery was at 12.31 from 12.38 a loss of only .07 volts after what amounted to an 8 hour run at 850 mA draw, is that possible? I took the reading before terminating the charge cycle, so that was not a recovery voltage.

It's at least good to know that I can charge 2 for 1 input, now to load test and see if there really is any working energy in these batteries.

John K, I lost track of your 4 for 1 test, I think you terminated it due to bad batteries, if so, have you tried a different test simular to it yet?

Thanks for any input in this matter.

Tim
    Last edited by Tim; 03-13-2013, 03:04 AM. Reason: Formatting changed

Hi Tim,
    just wanted to chime in here.. YES what you have found out is very true, but that is not limited to just 2 battries, it would give to as many as 12 battries... so 1:12 is the best.
    rgds,
    Faraday88.
    'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Tim,
      Most importantly, are you cooking those little motorcycle batteries? sounds like a significant amount of current going into them.
      If so, I say... cook'm in the name of science and charging the front end :-)
      document it here so we can all learn.
      I would love to hear more about your build, pictures, vid?
      Kind Regards,
      Patrick

Comment

Patrick,

I do not believe that the batteries are being "cooked", the machine is only drawing a total of 850mA in the run circuit, and the output is being divided between to branch circuits of 2 transistors each. The Alum battery was load tested today and it really surprised me, it was a little better (not much), but better none the less than when it was charged with the SSG that I built from the new handbook, which is REALLY to big for that battery, but I did not run the big wheel as long as I did on my smaller 2 tranisitor unit, the larger machine charges so much faster that I did not want to leave this battery too long.

The lead acid battery is under a load test as I type, these are discharged at a 250mA load from my CBA III and I take the Alum battery clear down to 3 volts and the lead acid down to 12.2 volts.

I'm testing the alum at extream discharge cycles to see if I can hurt it, it is not suppose to sulfate and if I see that it holds up I will add a little sulfuric acid to each cell but still try and maintain a pH like John does (I believe he stated 6.4 to 6.8). This is just something I wanted to find out for myself, I'm curious to see if the ampacity raises from the addition of the acid in very small amounts, but only after I get a good feel for the regular alum battery itself.

The ampacity of the alum battery is extreamly low (right now about 230 min. under the 250mA load), but I plan on using this battery with an oscillater circuit to light a super bright LED to use in power out conditions just for some extra low level lighting. I use the regular tractor batteries with my new SSG (from the handbook build) to see it's impact on the charging battery, and like John says, I'll try taking 1 amp hour form the charge battery after it has been conditioned several times to see if the energizer can put it back in in the same amount of time or less. Just some things I want to try and answer for myself...I'll never know for sure if I don't do it myself.

I hope to see these effects over time and slowly build up to a better system over time, but for now "baby steps" and learn, learn learn !!!!!

Thanks,

Tim
        Last edited by Tim; 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Patrick,

I'll up load some pictures and possibly a video sometime this next week, I'm busy working 12 hour shifts this week.

Originally posted by min2oly View Post
          Tim,
          Most importantly, are you cooking those little motorcycle batteries? sounds like a significant amount of current going into them.
          If so, I say... cook'm in the name of science and charging the front end :-)
          document it here so we can all learn.
          I would love to hear more about your build, pictures, vid?
          Kind Regards,
          Patrick

Comment

Group,

Here are some images of my builds at this time, please let me know what you think.

The first ones are of the bike wheel build for the handbook and the other images are of my experimental build with the option of charging multiple batteries depending on how I configure the output.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	45383Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	45384Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	45385Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	45386Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	45387

Comment

My Experimental build images:

Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	45388Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	45389Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	45390Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03230.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	45391Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03231.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	45392

Comment

Nice work Tim!

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

very neat and devoted efforts are evident indeed! keep it up friend...
                  rgds,
                  Faraday88.
                  'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Thanks for the kudos, guys....I'm trying hard to do things right.

Doing my load tests now.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      My Experimental build images:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1649[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1650[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1651[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1652[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1653[/ATTACH]
                      Looks great! Why the double stack? That might be the first thing I would experiment with.
                      I look forward to your results - KR
                      Patrick

Comment

Can you share me a little information about this kind of matter. Actually, I am planning to have this but this time I'm not really sure if i am going to made this possible.
                        energy efficient lighting | energy efficient lighting solutions

Comment

what?

Originally posted by Cary Karen View Post
                          Can you share me a little information about this kind of matter. Actually, I am planning to have this but this time I'm not really sure if i am going to made this possible.
                          Cary - and what are you "planning to have"?
                          Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Working...
                          X