Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels don't play this HARP

Angels don't play this HARP

Well. spent most of yesterday afternoon building my monopole circuit, got rotation and even got some pretty good speed out of the old lady; but.

Am experiencing coil ringing, excessive coil temperature, an coil vibration (I believe it is trying to levitate ), did I mention that my supply battery drains to nothingness in no time flat? And yes; it's a brand new battery.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with my initial results, the Official SG Handbook was a big help. Thought I would have even more impressed if my SG ran like Bedini's on the get go!

I've been trouble shooting the circuit, transistors check out just fine, if I unhook the charging batteries, the neon bulbs flash on and off like a Christmas tree.

Forgot to mention, when I initially hook-up the supply battery, the "thump" described in the Official SG handbook is more at a continuous vibrating hum, this is why angels don't play theis SG harp.

longhorn

Click image for larger version

Name:	Angels don't play.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	50950
    Last edited by longhorn; 03-11-2013, 09:19 AM.

After spending a better part of this afternoon with my SG circuit troubleshooting possible causes to the problems I am experiencing the only conclusion I drawn about the circuit is that it is working properly as advertised, now I am talking about the circuit; minus the counter clockwise coil (with emphasis!).

The main conclusion that I have drawn about my particular build is the counter clockwise coil is creating a magnetic lock.

As those experienced in the craft of building electric motors know a counter clockwise coil creates a south dipole (south pole), in addition to being a south pole it is also an electromagnet. Being an energized magnet it is overpowering my ceramic magnets on the wheel. The reason it (the coil) is heating up is that it is doing work, with that work being it is trying to capture my wheel magnets, since it is working to this end it is consuming my input battery.

How do I know this to be factual?

Because starting with a (new) fully charged battery the SG at best is running dog-legged until it reaches about 9 volts, then the SG smooths out and builds up speed, by 5 volts its running like there is no tomorrow, then when the battery can know longer power the coil the SG winds down and stops.

Magnetic Lock

With this noted it is the voltage drop across the input battery that weakens the south pole electric magnet that then allow my SG wheel perform real work of charging batteries rather than fighting the counter clockwise electric magnet in a tug of war.

I will be building another coil - clockwise wound, 130 feet vertical aerial, seven primaries, with trigger circuit to see if this improves my SG's COP potentials.

longhorn

Comment

Another possible fix to the magnetic lock situation with my build is a 6 volt, voltage regulator.

This would allow me to get maximum potential out of my current SG build, with the added benefit of battery conservation allowing me to run on the same input battery for longer periods of time.

I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

Would also appreciate input and an exchange of ideas if anyone has any.

longhorn

Comment

longhorn,
        Are you sure your trigger resistance is not too high giving self resonance or too low drawing too much current.
        Have you got a Oscilloscope to view the wave form from one of the collector outputs?
        What's the current draw on the primary?
        Cheers
        James

Comment

Working...
        X