Plasma Ignition | Plasma Jet Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    Please look over this doc carefully: http://www.hho4free.com/spark%20plug...lasmaplugs.pdf
    Superb Aaron!!
    Robert krupa's plug and your patent came much later....how did Robert excite his Plasma??
    I know yours is true Plasma ignition is terms of modest power input.
    the plug and the Power to excite it are two different things..
    your comments please..
    Best Regards,
    Faraday88.
    'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard
      Thanks Aaron.
      Yes, I reviewed that article recently and the comment "Thermocouple Alloy made from Tungsten - Rhenium Alloy which can withstand temperatures of over 2500 deg C and can be
      used here but it's pretty difficult to find in retail." is what inspired me to make my comment about the easy to purchase TIG electrodes. Also, thermocouple wire is usually very thin.
      I'm guessing that you have done some TIG welding yourself. I can't think of anywhere that gets more severe arcing than that tungsten tip.
      For the (2% thorium) tungsten rod there hasn't been much change in the welding industry for about 50 years to my knowledge.
      I would think tungsten rods would be first choice for a plasma spark plug conversion. Isn't it also the material that incandescent light bulb filaments are made of?
      That guy went to a LOT of work to make his sparkplugs in the article.

Richard Gieser
      Hi Richard,
      Tungsten used in TIG welding is for preferential melting of the base mental surface. However as you rightly pointed out it is used in the incandescent bulb for reason that it has high resistivity otherwise you cannot have I2R loss and thereby produce White hot light.
      However, in Pulsed Plasma spark application you would need highly conductive electrodes that have good shock resistance.... i cannot think of anything other than solid-copper...
      Rgds,
      Faraday88.

Comment

My TIG welder is rated 360 amps and that is through a 1/8" tungsten electrode, far beyond the amperage/conductivity requirements of an ignition system.
        For Plasma Arc systems satisfactory conductivity isn't nearly so difficult to achieve (especially when you are talking about 2" of conductor length) as is acceptable life expectancy at which copper and it's alloys lags tungsten by a considerable margin.
        The outstanding feature of tungsten, for Plasma applications, is it's high-temperature durability during arcing.
        As implied by my original question, has a TIG tungsten electrode been tried for comparison purposes for both spark performance and durability?

Richard Gieser
        what you are referring to is a continuous rating (360Amps) and is characteristic to Arc- discharge Plasma and not Spark-discharge plasma the difference is but obvious. The peak current in the Pulsed plasma, of course, can go to several hundred Amps. Aaron's Plasma does the benefit of an Arc-Plasma in a Spark-discharge for a given power input. btw Ignition Energy is non-thermal at inception like a spark-plasma.
        rgds,
        Faraday88.
        Last edited by Faraday88; 06-02-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• This is the new MKII NGK BUE, (experimental):

You can see the two parallel discharges, (f. ex. at 0:36), and the new stronger arc.

My phone camera is interfered by the radiation and records image intermittently when the sound is recorded normally.
          Last edited by Hellenic Vanagon; 06-03-2018, 06:47 AM.
          The Syncro Heresy

Comment

• In such unprecedented applications, usually, the good results may be affected by enthusiasm and happiness so it is better to remain calm for the next day's real results.
            The Syncro Heresy

Comment

• Originally posted by Hellenic Vanagon View Post
              In such unprecedented applications, usually, the good results may be affected by enthusiasm and happiness so it is better to remain calm for the next day's real results.
              Hi,
              Looks like the discharges are a periodical for some reason...this can happen if you have parallel paths (like several spark plugs in parallel)
              Rgds,
              Faraday88.

Comment

• WeaponX had some iridium and rhodium non-resistor plugs I came across a couple years ago - have not had time to test them out, but that would be the next plug I'd test. http://www.weaponxperformance.com
                Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

• Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                  Hi,
                  Looks like the discharges are a periodical for some reason...this can happen if you have parallel paths (like several spark plugs in parallel)
                  Rgds,
                  Faraday88.
                  The problem is within the mobile's camera structure, which cannot record smoothly, as if something, (radiation?), disturbs operation. The flow of the events, in reality, is uninterrupted without missing a bit. Using headphones you can hear that the rhythm of the discharges follows a normal pattern even at the points we cannot see the discharges.
                  The Syncro Heresy

Comment

See if you can get a Samsung S9+ cellphone to try out. They have a 720 fps slow motion camera mode.

Richard Gieser
                    Thank you very much. I 'll try.
                    The Syncro Heresy

Comment

• The unexpected result, using the modified NGK BUE, is that it seems giving plasma even having the power of the plasma unit off, (not that strong though).

You can see the phenomenon at the first moments of the next video, (here the same cell phone works a little bit better.):

The ignition system must be stressed a lot know and I am ready to resolve problems.

The modified NGK BUE (MKII)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180603_151402.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	49884
                      Last edited by Hellenic Vanagon; 06-03-2018, 11:23 PM.
                      The Syncro Heresy

Comment

• Originally posted by Hellenic Vanagon View Post
                        The problem is within the mobile's camera structure, which cannot record smoothly, as if something, (radiation?), disturbs operation. The flow of the events, in reality, is uninterrupted without missing a bit. Using headphones you can hear that the rhythm of the discharges follows a normal pattern even at the points we cannot see the discharges.
                        Hi,
                        Yes, you could be true...the camera cannot capture what an eye can..after all it an assisted viewing A similar thing happens when you record using a camera about the brightness of LED or the color of the neon bulb. for LED The camera presents it to be brighter than what it actually is!!
                        it is vital for me to tell just by the color of the neon-bulbs in SSG/SG if its Positive Radiant or Negative Radiant. camera viewing cannot capture this intricate detail.
                        In your video of the Spark-discharge, there are intermittent jumps if I may so call it.
                        This is inherent to modern day camera in terms of interference as you rightly pointed out. or sometimes is the result due to Stroboscopic dephasing effect.
                        rgds,
                        Faraday88.
                        Last edited by Faraday88; 06-04-2018, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• The first results with the modified NGK are:

#1 2.8% reduction in fuel consumption.
                          #2 misfiring at high revs.
                          The Syncro Heresy

Comment

Nice find.
                            Thanks.
                            gotta help your brothers out, right?

Comment

See if you can get a Samsung S9+ cellphone to try out. They have a 720 fps slow motion camera mode.

Richard Gieser
                              right, the event happens so quickly, a higher frame rate camera is the only type that can catch it. I have an app on my iphone that does as much as 1000fps, but it eats through memory very quickly at that frame rate.

Comment

• I am leaning to connect in parallel the secondary of two ignition coils, because having a 4.5 mm gap, voltage deficiency is observed in high revolutions.

Their power supply will be independent, the one from the standard ignition and the second from the special module which gives the plasma.

Some tries give a perfect result, simultaneously in high and low revs, but somewhere, in some cases, there is a misfiring under heavy load, although the distributor cap has no signs of arcing. There must be an arcing, somewhere, though...

Two high voltage ignition coils and a plasma unit, feeding the spark plugs, seems as a promising solution. On the other hand, the plasma module gives some signs of overheating struggling to give high current for the plasma and for the second ignition coil.
                                Last edited by Hellenic Vanagon; 06-17-2018, 12:05 PM.
                                The Syncro Heresy

Comment

Working...
                                X