PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 62 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: Plasma Ignition | Plasma Jet Ignition

Hello Folks,

My car is a Jeep Wagoneer Limited 1979 AMC V8 5.9L
    1978_Jp_Wagoneer_Limited_3q_frnt_color.jpg

Today, i played with the ignition timing in combination with the plasma ignition.
    What is strange is that the motor likes as much advance as possible.
    When i push it to TDC i get backfires. Maybe because its an old engine there is some lack on the timing chain.
    I let it stay at maximum advance, and it has a lot more power and she's very responsive. Next is leaning out, i ordered the jets.

Greets

Networking Architect Aaron Murakami's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-Creator View Post
    Hello Folks,

My car is a Jeep Wagoneer Limited 1979 AMC V8 5.9L

Today, i played with the ignition timing in combination with the plasma ignition.
    What is strange is that the motor likes as much advance as possible.
    When i push it to TDC i get backfires. Maybe because its an old engine there is some lack on the timing chain.
    I let it stay at maximum advance, and it has a lot more power and she's very responsive. Next is leaning out, i ordered the jets.

Greets
    That's interesting on the timing. The plasma accelerates the combustion.

Not sure what plugs you're using, but this company makes iridium non-resistor plugs: http://www.weaponxperformance.net/in...8eb5b649c6c130

I'm going to get some for the Datsun.

Did you leave the plugs at the recommended gap for your engine? Smaller gap will have longer life because the plasma won't get as big, but a larger gap will give a much more bigger plasma but of course shorter plug life. I'm hoping those iridium plugs will hold up longer than normal with the plasma.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Question I'd like to have a discussion about spark plug life

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    That's interesting on the timing. The plasma accelerates the combustion.

Not sure what plugs you're using, but this company makes iridium non-resistor plugs: http://www.weaponxperformance.net/in...8eb5b649c6c130

I'm going to get some for the Datsun.

Did you leave the plugs at the recommended gap for your engine? Smaller gap will have longer life because the plasma won't get as big, but a larger gap will give a much more bigger plasma but of course shorter plug life. I'm hoping those iridium plugs will hold up longer than normal with the plasma.
    for a plasma ignition, what contributes to longer spark plug life other than gap? is it electrode material? Iridium theoretically (I assume) will last longer than platinum...but is that due to the hardness of the metal? If that's the case, shouldn't we be looking for the hardest plugs we can find?

http://www.extremespark.com/products.html make resistorless plugs with stainless steel electrodes, for instance...and they have fairly (stock, factory set, unchangable) huge gap to them for big plasma kernels by design. subadude uses them with his plasma ignition on his Subie, Aaron...
    Last edited by heysoundude; 10-22-2016 at 12:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heysoundude View Post
    for a plasma ignition, what contributes to longer spark plug life other than gap? is it electrode material? Iridium theoretically (I assume) will last longer than platinum...but is that due to the hardness of the metal? If that's the case, shouldn't we be looking for the hardest plugs we can find?

http://www.extremespark.com/products.html make resistorless plugs with stainless steel electrodes, for instance...and they have fairly (stock, factory set, unchangable) huge gap to them for big plasma kernels by design. subadude uses them with his plasma ignition on his Subie, Aaron...
    Yes, electrode material but also geometry.

For materials, tungsten prototypes seemed to hold up well.

I want to try the iridium because they're off the shelf.

In Energetic Forum, some made prototypes of Robert Krupa's Firestorm plugs. That geometry holds up well - copper berrylium, etc... different ones worked well. Get this doc...

http://wasserwandel.info/sparkplugho...lasmaplugs.pdf

Extreme Spark - I know a dealer and he worked with someone at the company with some plasma tests and the plugs did not hold up very well.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

great thread. answers and question were very informative

that's an awesome document. thank you. if someone could commercialize it...

subadude and I chat frequently - he's been the standard bearer over on the Gadgetmangroove.com forum in Ron's absence. unless he's not sharing everything, his torquemasters are doing just fine since install on his plasma'd daily driver Subaru.

Hello Folks

Update:
    A few days ago i was driving with the plasma system on, all was fine, i stopt, and started it again and the motor was running on 7 cilinders instead of 8.
    I was searching for the problem and the diode of cilinder 4 was broken, replaced it and it run fine.
    Today i recieved my smaller main jets, standaard in the car is #55, i tried #38, #43 and #47. The motor run at idle with #38 very well, and thats all, when accelarating the motor died. Also with #43 and with 47 a little bit better, but still at drive speed a little to low on gas. What i noticed with number 47 is that the motor run cooler than with the standard 55's. The best will be in between.
    So leaning it out in combi with the plasma system won't give you much.... think vapor is the anwser.
    Now AGAIN it runs on 7 cilinders, so i checked all the wires and wire connections, soldered it. I will replace the diode again, its my last reserve....its again cilinder 4. Aaron any idea why the diode would fail 2 times?
    When the motor is running cilinder 4 sometimes sparks and sometimes not with the broken diode.
    I use standard Champion Copper Plus spark plugs with the resistor removed and a 3 times bigger gap.

Update 2: I had replaced the diode of cilinder 4 with a new one, i checked the resistance of the broken diodes it gave a value of around 2M ohms. The good diodes don't give any value.
    I have 2 blocks of 4 diodes. On the right of the motor the block of 4 diodes are all good.
    On the left i noticed another diode of cilinder 6 was giving a value....
    I have no more spare diodes left, and the motor is still not running good. dammm...
    I have disconnected the wires from the diodes to the secondary coil output so it will run only on de MSD CDI spark, but still it doesn't run good. I will disconnect all the wires form the sparkplug to the diodes, will do this tomorrow...

I was hoping i could lean the motor out, with the plasma system, but it running better and more power, but no better mileage jet.

Greets!
    Last edited by Co-Creator; 10-25-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Hello Folks

Update:
    A few days ago i was driving with the plasma system on, all was fine, i stopt, and started it again and the motor was running on 7 cilinders instead of 8.
    I was searching for the problem and the diode of cilinder 4 was broken, replaced it and it run fine.
    Today i recieved my smaller main jets, standaard in the car is #55, i tried #38, #43 and #47. The motor run at idle with #38 very well, and thats all, when accelarating the motor died. Also with #43 and with 47 a little bit better, but still at drive speed a little to low on gas. What i noticed with number 47 is that the motor run cooler than with the standard 55's. The best will be in between.
    So leaning it out in combi with the plasma system won't give you much.... think vapor is the anwser.
    Now AGAIN it runs on 7 cilinders, so i checked all the wires and wire connections, soldered it. I will replace the diode again, its my last reserve....its again cilinder 4. Aaron any idea why the diode would fail 2 times?
    When the motor is running cilinder 4 sometimes sparks and sometimes not with the broken diode.
    I use standard Champion Copper Plus spark plugs with the resistor removed and a 3 times bigger gap.

Update 2: I had replaced the diode of cilinder 4 with a new one, i checked the resistance of the broken diodes it gave a value of around 2M ohms. The good diodes don't give any value.
    I have 2 blocks of 4 diodes. On the right of the motor the block of 4 diodes are all good.
    I have no more spare diodes left, and the motor is still not running good. dammm...
    I have disconnected the wires from the diodes to the secondary coil output so it will run only on de MSD CDI spark, but still it doesn't run good. I will disconnect all the wires form the sparkplug to the diodes, will do this tomorrow...

I was hoping i could lean the motor out, with the plasma system, but it running better and more power, but no better mileage jet.

Greets!
    Other than the modifications you've made for Plasma ignition, how was the general condition of the motor beforehand? did it burn oil? what about the timing, has it been correctly set recently? are compression and vacuum, gaskets all fine? Something about #4 cylinder isn't right...is one of the valves broken or sticky on that cylinder? a strange grounding issue perhaps?

Your engine SHOULD "run hot" when it's running at top efficiency, when you've tuned it for equivalence (meaning it's neither rich nor lean and the stoichiometric balance is correct - and that's often NOT 14.7:1) across as wide a range of operating conditions as possible. how does the exhaust smell with plasma engaged and the smaller carb jets when it's at hot idle? (it should be hot moist air with no smell of anything petrochemical/automotive - sweet is bad; that's coolant burning).

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/...atio-explained

Mileage gains - these engines were built to burn fuel, and plenty of it, as you know. an improved ignition only enhances an engine's ability to burn fuel. efficiencies are realized when the engine is operated below peak power. thankfully mods like this help get the power happening at lower fuel consumption. (lower throttle angle = less air ingested to the higher vacuum, and higher vacuum rips the gas out of liquid form to vapour for combustion easier/better) try being gentle on the accelerator and see how the mileage turns out.

what was your mileage or fuel consumption like before plasma?
    Last edited by heysoundude; 10-25-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    I would close the gap on that cylinder #4 and see if that makes a difference. Electrically, I can't see why one would burn on twice on a specific cylinder unless its a coincidence that you had 2 bad diodes in a row.

If those diodes don't have a high enough amp rating for some reason, there are higher amp ones available you can try that are also inexpensive. 20kv should also be high enough for the voltage rating because the voltage will only go to what is needed to jump the gap with compressed air/gas on it.

Worst case is that you make your own string with 6A100 diodes - those are 6 amps 1000 volts so need a string of 20-30kv worth, but 6 amp is fairly bullet proof for these applications. Have used those for years, but I started using the single diodes because I got tired of soldering them.

Are your plug cables suitable for capacitive discharge? You have to find out because this is important.

You really need to add a bit of water vapor injection and/or hho - this is what always gave the top results - leaning out engine, plasma and water. You can get gains with the plasma alone, but the best is a combination.

Hello Folks

Update:

Greets!
    Aaron Murakami

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heysoundude View Post
    Other than the modifications you've made for Plasma ignition, how was the general condition of the motor beforehand? did it burn oil? what about the timing, has it been correctly set recently? are compression and vacuum, gaskets all fine? Something about #4 cylinder isn't right...is one of the valves broken or sticky on that cylinder? a strange grounding issue perhaps?

Your engine SHOULD "run hot" when it's running at top efficiency, when you've tuned it for as wide a range of equivalence (meaning it's neither rich nor lean and the stoichiometric balance is correct - and that's often NOT 14.7:1) across as wide a range of operating conditions as possible. how does the exhaust smell with plasma engaged and the smaller carb jets when it's at hot idle? (it should be hot moist air with no smell of anything petrochemical/automotive - sweet is bad; that's coolant burning).

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/...atio-explained

Mileage gains - these engines were built to burn fuel, and plenty of it, as you know. an improved ignition only enhances an engine's ability to burn fuel. efficiencies are realized when the engine is operated below peak power. try being gentle on the accelerator and see how the mileage turns out.

what was your mileage or fuel consumption like before plasma?
    Greg's VW engine dropped about 100F in temperature when it was leaner, running no plasma and had water vapor injection. The engine went cooler as the thermal efficiency went up.
    Aaron Murakami