* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

ONLY 150 118 99 SEATS AVAILABLE! - 2019 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Plasma Ignition | Plasma Jet Ignition

Networking Architect Aaron Murakami's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Rikard,

Please post a full clear diagram of the second setup. It works every time with that Street Fire module.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Hi Aaron,

The diagram is as follows:
    plasma setup revision 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I called MSD last night to double check the HV polarity and it's positive for all my coils in both set ups.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by energyrikard View Post
    Hi Aaron,

The diagram is as follows:
    plasma setup revision 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I called MSD last night to double check the HV polarity and it's positive for all my coils in both set ups.
    Your plug diagram looks a bit odd. Are all the striped lines the threads of the plug or the ceramic insulator?

Other than that, assuming that the ignition coil is really HV + output, and your diodes are good, I think it should work fine.
    It would be identical to what I did but I used a different coil that has HV - output so the diode(s) were in the SAME place, just reversed.

If you remove the diode, does it work as a normal CDI if you manually trigger it?

Let me know the answers to the 2 bolded questions first and lets go from there.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    highvoltagediodes.jpg

These are some diodes I'll be testing when I can free up some time. I plan to use these on my Subaru with wasted spark ignition so my diodes have to be opposite polarity from each other since half the coil is + and the other half is -.

They're 2A 30kv high frequency ham radio didoes. You can get them from Ebay for about $25 a piece delivered.
    They have different ones with different amp ratings and voltages.

I think the voltage is fine and 2 amps should be more than enough. I use the 6A100's normally because that is 6 amps at whatever voltage the strings is and it is VERY INEXPENSIVE.

If you want to try these, search ebay for HV diode ham - but buy at your own risk. I'm not making any claims since I haven't tested mine.

They have threads on each ends for screwing a connector to so that's handy. They're potted so it may be made of multiple smaller ones, not sure, but if they work good, can be a time saver.
    Aaron Murakami

Question HV wire for diode strings

Hi everyone my first post here...
    Rikard and Aaron, one detail I caught someplace in the Ignition Secrets info, was using HV wire in construction of the diode string. I haven't even got my diodes yet, but I found an online auction and bought 10 ft. of HV wire rated at 30 KV. Tinned stranded copper wire w/ white silicone insulation, 7/32" O D, rated 30KV. Cost about 20 bucks.
    I'm not an electronics guy, I bought this wire for diode strings, thinking to err on side of caution.
    I don't know just how important this detail is...?
    Here's a couple pics, in case this may help.
    Air Oil Separator stuff 010.jpgAir Oil Separator stuff 013.jpg

I finished installing my MSD Streetfire 5520 CDI in my '85 Subaru yesterday, works great. Torquemaster plugs to follow, then zero resist. plug wires/diode strings...
    I want to thank Aaron and the other great folks here for all they have and are doing. Important stuff, seems to me!

Subadude

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    Your plug diagram looks a bit odd. Are all the striped lines the threads of the plug or the ceramic insulator?

Other than that, assuming that the ignition coil is really HV + output, and your diodes are good, I think it should work fine.
    It would be identical to what I did but I used a different coil that has HV - output so the diode(s) were in the SAME place, just reversed.

If you remove the diode, does it work as a normal CDI if you manually trigger it?

Let me know the answers to the 2 bolded questions first and lets go from there.
    My answers are:
    1. The striped lines are the threads, and that's where the ground is. I'm not grounding in the white insulator...

2. When I have the diode connected with diode arrow pointing towards HV, there are no sparks at all. When I remove the diode strings, there are CDI sparks. When I reverse the diode string so the diodes are arrowing towards coil+ then there are CDI sparks again.

Quote Originally Posted by subadude View Post
    Rikard and Aaron, one detail I caught someplace in the Ignition Secrets info, was using HV wire in construction of the diode string. I haven't even got my diodes yet, but I found an online auction and bought 10 ft. of HV wire rated at 30 KV. Tinned stranded copper wire w/ white silicone insulation, 7/32" O D, rated 30KV. Cost about 20 bucks.
    I'm not an electronics guy, I bought this wire for diode strings, thinking to err on side of caution.

I finished installing my MSD Streetfire 5520 CDI in my '85 Subaru yesterday, works great. Torquemaster plugs to follow, then zero resist. plug wires/diode strings...
    I want to thank Aaron and the other great folks here for all they have and are doing. Important stuff, seems to me!

Subadude

Subadude, have you managed to get any plasma from your system?
    I'm using 16AWG wires, if you think I need HV wires, I'll get them ASAP.

One thing I have seen is that the setup I'm using is creating _A LOT_ of EMI/RFI noise. I'm using the MSD spark tester to generate the triggering for the 5520 and there's so much noise that the LED display goes haywire. I called MSD and they confirmed that EMI noise screws up the display... I have it in a tubular shielding but it's not earthed or shielded very well. Not that I care so much about noise now, as I just want to get the phenomenon...

Quote Originally Posted by subadude View Post

Subadude
    Subadude.....

Where did you get the wire....it's not so easy to find.

Thanks
    Carl
    Last edited by hh1341; 03-22-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Hi Carl,

I just ordered 20ft off of ebay. Search:
    High voltage wire
    You can sort it on "highest price first". You will see wire ranging from 10kV to 100kV. My coils go up to 45kV so I picked up the 50kV sort.
    I don't think the wire will make any difference in my application, but since I have tried almost everything... Why not?
    Also picked up a 2a30kV as well to try with...

Quote Originally Posted by hh1341 View Post
    Subadude.....

Where did you get the wire....it's not so easy to find.

Thanks
    Carl
    Hi Carl found it on ebay. I just searched for HV wire, and browsed results. good luck! subadude